Moto X Pure, 7.0, low memory warning with 32GB card?? Why?

jim5137

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
I have a Moto X Pure, Android 7.0, and it is a 16Gb phone, with a 32GB card in it. Lately, getting the message telling me I don't have much memory left, and that I might want to delete apps I don't use.
Here's a screenshot from my phone, showing what is left of internal storage, and hardly anything used on my SD card, so what am I missing here?
https://imgur.com/a/juqPWk5

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
What have you been saving to SDcard storage, or at least, what did you think was being saved?

jim5137

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
I have no idea, to be honest. I just wanted the phone to have more storage, which it obviously does, but why am I getting a message telling me my phone is low on memory, when apps are being updated, lately?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you clarify -- did you format the card as Internal Storage or Portable Storage? I recall reading about problems with Adoptable Storage in Moto phones, where the phone actually doesn't utilize the SD card properly.

jim5137

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
Can you clarify -- did you format the card as Internal Storage or Portable Storage? I recall reading about problems with Adoptable Storage in Moto phones, where the phone actually doesn't utilize the SD card properly.

It was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure I formatted it as internal storage.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think you're right. In that case, it does sound like what I've read elsewhere about Moto's somewhat poor implementation of Adoptable Storage. I'm not sure how to fix that, sorry!:-\

jim5137

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
No worries. Apparently, it's being used a little, as 606mb have been used by apps, but there is obviously some hiccup with it.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else have any ideas? :)
I'm not sure if the card was adopted or not. To be sure tap the SD card option in your first screenshot, take a screenshot and post it here.

Also open any picture in your gallery app and see if you get an option to move it to the SD card.

jim5137

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
I'm getting even lower on memory, when apps update....to the point where I almost can't update any more, but I'm not technically low on memory, just that the phone thinks I am. Anyone have any ideas on this?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
It would seem that your phone maker did a bad job of implementing the adaptable storage. You might be best off reformatting the card as portable storage then manually COPYING your media files (pictures, movies, music, documents) to the SD card.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
We've seen posts about this before, and it seems to be mostly a Moto issue -- people format an SD card as Internal Storage, but the phone still seems to install apps to the physical Internal Storage, then gives a low storage warning despite having plenty of room left in the SD card. I've always suspected that Lenovo just screwed up with the Adoptable Storage implementation, but I've never seen any official explanation for it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay