QR Code scanning + WiFi Card problems

Risc OS

Apr 27, 2019
Visit site
I guess that this might possibly be a general issue applicable to various situations and apps, so I'll ask my question first, and then set it in my personal context by explaining why I'm asking.

My question: I know about QR Codes, and how you scan such codes in a magazine, on a shop's product, etc etc. to get access to a website or other source. I just open the QR code scanning app on my phone and point it at the QR code where-ever it might be.

However, when a QR Code pops up on the screen of my phone and has the text "Scan the QR code to connect to this Wi-Fi network" how do I scan a QR code that is on my phone with a QR Code Scanning app that is on my phone ??? The phone can't look at its own screen! I did try one (ridiculous to have to do) work-around. I took a screenshot of the QR Code, printed it out and then used my QR Code app to scan the code. That of course worked instantly, the scan result saying Network name ez Share Type WPA, but then tapping the CONNECT TO NETWORK button popped up a message saying "Requesting connection to network . . . " all well and good, except that it did nothing further, no matter how long I waited.

You'll have worked out now that I am trying to connect to WiFi, but here's specifically what I'm doing. My Canon EOS 550D digital camera is too old to have built-in WiFi, but I've found a solution. At a cost of £14.99 I have purchased an ez Share SD WiFi Adaptor card. Having next bought a 32GB microSD card to slot into the bottom of the ez Share card, to provide it with memory, I now have put the EZ card into my camera and switched it on. Next I downloaded the ez Share App, (from the EZ website ez Share

- it's not on Play Store), onto my Huawei P10 phone, running Android 8.0.0. Then into Settings on the phone, Wireless & networks, then Wi-Fi. Although somewhat slow to appear, ez Share does arrive on the phone's list, (Saying "Saved, encrypted requires login/authoristion). Tapping that opens a panel saying Signal Strength Excellent and inviting me to CONNECT. Sometimes, (not every time), the QR Code panel I referred to above appears. If it does - how do I scan a code already on the phone's screen? If it doesn't then usually the ezcard website auto-runs and shows the photos on the microSD card in the camera.

The trouble is that if you navigate around your photos within that website almost every time the network comes back and says that the website cannot be found - which of course makes sense if the phone's WiFi is on the EZ card's WiFi network from the camera, but then how did it manage to produce the website in the first place? If it was running it from memory rather than from the internet, then why would have problems going back and getting it from there again?

Trying a different tack, I ran the ez Share app. This sometimes runs ok, and shows the microSD card's contents, (so obviously from memory), but attempting to use one of the app's functions, such as downloading a photo from the camera onto the phone always results in a request saying "Please switch back to WiFi Connection created by ez Share". Then tapping its Settings option takes you back to the phone's WiFi network screen, from where, guess what, ez Share has disappeared! So Switch the camera off and on again, wait, and ez Share re-appears - saying login/authorisation required! Tap that, and . . . hello my old friend Scan the QR code is back! So how do you . . . well you know the rest!

Whatever else, I'm a sticker. I won't give in easily. Before anyone suggest another obvious, yes I have read the manual! I went to the EZ website and downloaded the ezShare Apps User Manual_V2.0_EN, which has 34 pages. I won't pretend that I read all of it, so if anyone cares to try, I'd be grateful, but I do think that I've looked at most of the relevant bits.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair