Why can't I turn off or adjust Google Messages notifications?

May 10, 2019
Visit site
Help CenterCommunity
Original Poster - ZacM1979
15 hr

Why can't I turn off notifications? 0 Replies 0 Upvotes
For some reason I'm not allowed to turn off notifications either in app or through settings. I've looked for documentation that would explain the issue, but can't find anything. Everything I've read says I should be able to change the settings. The best work around is to set the notification sound to none, and not display message for individual notifications. I can't control it at the app or group level. I tried deleting cache and app data with no effect. I can't disable or delete the app. I also uninstalled updates and reinstalled from play store. Does anyone know why this is happening? Or maybe a way to get some system data about what is controlling my ability to modify the settings?

Phone - Pixel 2
Android version - 9 with May update
App version - 4.3.098

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190509-234359.jpg
    Screenshot_20190509-234359.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20190509-232042.jpg
    Screenshot_20190509-232042.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20190509-231334.jpg
    Screenshot_20190509-231334.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20190509-231224.jpg
    Screenshot_20190509-231224.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20190509-231139.jpg
    Screenshot_20190509-231139.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 21

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Android Apps forum to the General Help forum since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.

Go to Settings>Apps, select Messages, then Notifications. There should be a main toggle there for Show Notifications -- turn that off. It should look like this:

Screenshot (May 11, 2019 12_25_55 AM).jpg

May 10, 2019
Visit site
If you look at the images attached there is one that shows the settings > apps > messages > notifications. Unlike yours, I do not have the toggle. Any ideas? I linked the appropriate pic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190509-231139.jpg
    Screenshot_20190509-231139.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 15

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that. I also noticed that the resolution on your screen looks a lot lower than mine. It doesn't look like a font size issue, since the status bar icons are also bigger -- did you change the screen resolution itself? If you changed how the display looks, I'm wondering if that's somehow messing up how the options are presented to you.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Help CenterCommunity
15 hr

For some reason I'm not allowed to turn off notifications either in app or through settings. I've looked for documentation that would explain the issue, but can't find anything. Everything I've read says I should be able to change the settings. The best work around is to set the notification sound to none, and not display message for individual notifications. I can't control it at the app or group level. I tried deleting cache and app data with no effect. I can't disable or delete the app. I also uninstalled updates and reinstalled from play store. Does anyone know why this is happening? Or maybe a way to get some system data about what is controlling my ability to modify the settings?

Phone - Pixel 2
App version - 4.3.098
Trying to get sound or pop up from stoping?

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Help CenterCommunity
15 hr

Phone - Pixel 2
App version - 4.3.098

OP install a 3rd party messaging app, set as default. Then disable/ messages. Re start the device then /enable messages and delete/disable the 3rd party app and make messages your default.

A little more aggressively you could try resetting app preferences in systems/advanced

May 10, 2019
Visit site
Ok. Thanks for all the suggestions so far...

Safe mode doesn't make a difference.

Disabling all non system apps that have device admin privileges didn't help.

Installing 3rd party message app and following directions above didn't change anything.

Let me say that more then anything this just bothers me. My notifications are a little random, but so are most Pixel phones. I don't need to turn off my notifications. I am just the type of person that isn't happy not knowing what is causing the issue.

At one point during all of the various methods tried I was able to turn off notifications through the toggle in the recent notifications section of settings. I didn't have the toggle in the app settings menu. I turned them back on and haven't been able to recreate the outcome following the same steps.

Any other ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Was this present before the May update? If not, then it could be a bug with the update -- it hasn't been pushed out to most (if not all) Pixel 3's yet, which is leading to speculation that some bugs might have been found after the initial rollout to the Pixel 2's.

May 10, 2019
Visit site
Honestly not sure. I know it hasn't always been like this. When it a actually happened is unknown. I've googled it to death and read hundreds of posts from different forums. It is either so new that I was the first to report it, or it's exclusive to my phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Honestly not sure. I know it hasn't always been like this. When it a actually happened is unknown. I've googled it to death and read hundreds of posts from different forums. It is either so new that I was the first to report it, or it's exclusive to my phone.
Are these the settings your looking for
Screenshot_20190513-003603.jpg

danny102

Jun 10, 2019
Visit site
Help CenterCommunity
15 hr

Phone - Pixel 2
App version - 4.3.098

I have this same problem, anyone figure it out?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
OP install a 3rd party messaging app, set as default. Then disable/ messages. Re start the device then /enable messages and delete/disable the 3rd party app and make messages your default.

A little more aggressively you could try resetting app preferences in systems/advanced
My app was updated on the 9th. Do you have a link to the version of the latest release?
This galaxy 5 post is good advice. Should be tried, along with a clear cache partition and reboot after the 3rd part tm app is deleted.

rdhose

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I am too having the same issue. I am on a OG Pixel XL. I was on Android Q DP4 and rolled back to Android P with June's security patch. Tried installing a third party app and setting it as my default, disabled Google Messages, rebooted, re enabled Google messages etc. Still the same issue and it is driving me nuts.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae