I'm wanting to reset my phone, but I need to backup a few apps that are no longer on Google Play. I tried Helium, but it seems to no longer work for Nougat and above. I'm not rooted either, so Titanium is also out. Are there any other options?
    05-13-2019 08:26 AM
    I'm wanting to reset my phone, but I need to backup a few apps that are no longer on Google Play. I tried Helium, but it seems to no longer work for Nougat and above. I'm not rooted either, so Titanium is also out. Are there any other options?
    You able to locate the APK files maybe download again if cant back them up.
    05-13-2019 09:42 AM
    You able to locate the APK files maybe download again if cant back them up.
    It's not a risk I want to take right now.
    05-13-2019 10:12 AM
    It's not a risk I want to take right now.
    I understand
    But what I mean is websearch before doing anything see if the APK file is available for that app then download them to Google drive for back up
    05-13-2019 10:16 AM
    Apk Extractor will create apks, but it's tedious. App Backup & Restore will do them all if you want (or just mark them all, unmark the ones you don't want) so it's easier. None of them will back up data.

Helium may not work on Nougat, but Ive been using it on Pie with no trouble (just run the Windows program if the phone isn't rooted) - and it backs up data (for most apps, anyway - I have a few it can't find the data for - which is why I use TWRP - which is difficult for an AT&T or Verizon Samsung).
    05-13-2019 02:38 PM
    Apk Extractor will create apks, but it's tedious. App Backup & Restore will do them all if you want (or just mark them all, unmark the ones you don't want) so it's easier. None of them will back up data.

Helium may not work on Nougat, but Ive been using it on Pie with no trouble (just run the Windows program if the phone isn't rooted) - and it backs up data (for most apps, anyway - I have a few it can't find the data for - which is why I use TWRP - which is difficult for an AT&T or Verizon Samsung).
    I'll check those others out, but how did you use helium from the desktop? The only Windows program I found was the activator one to get the phone set to let the app version do its thing.

I'm not too concerned about the data, as those are already synced to the cloud. It's mostly the apps themselves I need saved.
    05-13-2019 02:44 PM
    Not run from Windows, the activator was the one I was talking about. (Been a while though, all my phones are rooted, so that may not work any more.)
    05-14-2019 01:26 PM
    I got the apk extractor app and it seemed to work rather well.
    05-14-2019 02:36 PM
    What phone do you use?
    05-16-2019 01:09 AM
    What phone do you use?
    It's an LG V20.
    05-16-2019 05:57 AM
    It's an LG V20.
    This post makes me so sad. Spend 5 minutes going through the menus of your phone. LG literally has the best built-in backup for an unrooted phone...

For expensive smartphones, people really need to spend some time learning how to use them...
    05-16-2019 09:57 AM
    LG backup is literally the only thing LG does well. It's almost as powerful as Titanium Backup.
    05-16-2019 09:59 AM
    This post makes me so sad. Spend 5 minutes going through the menus of your phone. LG literally has the best built-in backup for an unrooted phone...

For expensive smartphones, people really need to spend some time learning how to use them...
    Except LG doesn't offer a way to backup the apk itself, which is what I needed.
    05-16-2019 10:01 AM
    Except LG doesn't offer a way to backup the apk itself, which is what I needed.
    Unless you're switching phones to a non-LG, it backs up everything and restores everything. It backs up the app AND data.
    05-16-2019 10:07 AM
    Your original post says you need to reset your phones and that your worry is some apps no longer on the Play Store. LG Backup is the backup solution you need here.

Like I said, it'll back up all those apps, then it'll restore them after your reset.
    05-16-2019 10:09 AM

Fyi, I did go through my phone beforehand, and it doesn't indicate that it will backup the apk's until you're actually in the backup program. I also spent a few days trying to find a solution online before I asked here. I'm testing the built in backup now, but the snide remarks thinking I hadn't done any of my own research were uncalled for.
    05-16-2019 11:36 AM
    Fyi, I did go through my phone beforehand, and it doesn't indicate that it will backup the apk's until you're actually in the backup program. I also spent a few days trying to find a solution online before I asked here. I'm testing the built in backup now, but the snide remarks thinking I hadn't done any of my own research were uncalled for.
    Going through settings is also exploring what they can do. And I regretted my snide remarks before I saw this most recent reply, but what's said is said, but you have your solution. You're right; being an *** was uncalled for, so I apologize for that.

Cherish LG backup. It's the one thing I miss most after recently switching to Samsung. Samsung's backup, from my testing, backs up apps, but not app data. LG does it all.
    05-16-2019 12:31 PM
    Going through settings is also exploring what they can do. And I regretted my snide remarks before I saw this most recent reply, but what's said is said, but you have your solution. You're right; being an *** was uncalled for, so I apologize for that.

Cherish LG backup. It's the one thing I miss most after recently switching to Samsung. Samsung's backup, from my testing, backs up apps, but not app data. LG does it all.
    You think only lg saves APK files
    This is Samsung files directoryApp backup alternative to Helium?-screenshot_20190516-135447_my-20files.jpeg
    05-16-2019 12:55 PM
    Samsung's backup, from my testing, backs up apps, but not app data. LG does it all.

You think only lg saves APK files
    This is Samsung files directoryClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190516-135447_My%20Files.jpeg 
Views:	4 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	303317
    05-16-2019 12:57 PM
    05-16-2019 01:00 PM
    Samsung cloud does that
    So it won't physically back up app data to the device, but it will backup potentially gigs worth of app data over possibly unreliable networks to the cloud? May as well just rely on Android's native cloud backup.
    05-16-2019 01:11 PM
    So it won't physically back up app data to the device, but it will backup potentially gigs worth of app data over possibly unreliable networks to the cloud? May as well just rely on Android's native cloud backup.
    Its better then nothing
    05-16-2019 01:14 PM

Apology accepted.

I'll have to see if it backed up app data or not. I know with one app, it claimed the size was way less than I know it would be if it included the data. It took a couple of tries, but the backup did complete. When I get free tonight, I'll do the reset and see what restores.
    05-16-2019 02:41 PM
    Well this was mostly a success using the LG backup tool. It didn't backup all app data, but did seem to backup some? I.e. I didn't have to log in to the AC Forums app again, another had my user name already filled in like it normally would, and my keyboard retained its user dictionary. I was also pleasantly surprised that it backed up my third party launcher and home screen setup (which is more than I can say for that launcher's own backup option and other backup apps). There were a few minor annoyances, like not reapplying my theme and having to update many of my apps for some reason.

It did the most important thing, though, which was saving the apk's themselves. Since LG's backup stores everything into a single file, I'm still keeping separate copies of the few apps no longer in the Play store in case I switch to another brand of phone.
    05-17-2019 11:41 AM