Had to do a software repair tonight aka hard reset on my xperia L1. I have just put my sd card back in which I can easily locate my photos and videos, but until yesterday I had over 50 apps stored on the sd card but I now have no idea how to access them.

My picture files on the sd card I can access easy but not the apps. I thought I would be able to access my stored apps and transfer them back onto my phone after the hard reset instead of installing them all separately via the app store.

Transferring apps from my phone to the sd card is a very easy process so surely the reverse would also be easy?

What am I missing? I just can't seem to find the option to do this. Even if I go into my sd card via a file manager I can't locate the folder with the apps in. I have found a folder with similar app names but clicking on these comes up with "unable to open ".

Any help will be very appreciated Guys
    06-14-2019 08:03 PM
    Do you mean that you did a factory reset on the phone?

Therein lies the problem with moving apps to the SD card, and why it's usually discouraged.

When you originally "moved" those apps, only parts of it moved over. There's always a link back to the OS so that it knows where the app is. Doing the reset broke that link. Especially if you took the card out. The OS now has no connection to the apps, so they don't exist as far as the OS is concerned.

The OS probably created a system folder on the SD card to place those apps into, and now you can't see it.

You will have to reinstall those apps from wherever you originally got them from and start all over. Nothing else you can do.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-14-2019 09:09 PM
    @joeldf has it right - the move to SD works for that "instance" of the OS. In no way is meant as a "portability" feature to be able to make the app available on another device (which you effectively have after the reset). Move to SD is really only meant as a way to help reduce used storage space on the internal storage.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-15-2019 07:12 AM
    It's really used as a hail mary until you can get a phone with more internal storage. Moving apps to the SD cars is a bad idea for a few reasons:

The apps are moved one little piece at a time (that's how Java, which is what the apps are written in, works), and a link is left, in internal storage (because that's where Android looks for them) for each piece. Normally, the amount of space you save by moving apps to the SD card isn't worth the work for the amount of internal space you free up (if you free up any at all - if the piece being moved is smaller than a link, you're using more internal space by moving that piece).

If the card goes bad, you may have to do a factory reset. You can't just replace the card, then reinstall the apps that were on the old card. (As far as Android is concerned, they're already installed.) And you can't uninstall them, because they aren't where the links say they are.

Android apps have to store their current state at all times. (If the app is in the background [you ran another app for a minute to run something else] and Android needs the RAM space, it can kill the app. Then when you bring it back to the foreground, Android has to reload it - and tell it to pick up where it left off, so that, to you, it seems as if it never left.) If the code that stores the current state is on the SD card, and it's something that changes state quickly (like a war game), that current state is going to get written to the SD card many times a second. eMMC storage, the internal storage, is designed to take that. SD storage is designed as write once, read many, It's meant to store pictures, music, videos, documents - things that, once you put them on the card, you just read. SD lifespan is rated in number of write cycles, so you can destroy the card pretty quickly by moving a fast-action game to it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-15-2019 04:17 PM