Does the built in web browser support APK installation?

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to know if I can access an url directed to an .apk file on my Android device through the built-in browser and have it launch the install screen when downloaded.

Seems like it would be much easier to do than put it on an SD card and use a file explorer to install an app,

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to know if I can access an url directed to an .apk file on my Android device through the built-in browser and have it launch the install screen when downloaded.

Seems like it would be much easier to do than put it on an SD card and use a file explorer to install an app,

Seems a backwards way to do it.

Most, use the barcode reader app.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You will need to download the .apk and access it from the sd card. Use a file explorer to find it, select it, and install it. Make sure the box is checked in application settings to allow non-market installation.

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. :)

Seems a backwards way to do it.

Most, use the barcode reader app.
Do'h! That never crossed my mind but I can see that being a lot easier on long urls, so pretty much anything typed in through the tiny little keyboard. lol

I actually have an extension installed in Firefox called Mobile Barcoder that creates a QR code for pages the page you're on when you hover over its icon in the task bar. I've only needed it once so far but it sure helped!