Beginner needs Help - Unroot Samsung EPIC 4G after upgraded to 2.2

tobiasthiago

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys... I am new to this thing but really need help with something... Here is the deal...

I have a Sprint Samsung Epic 4G... I had it rooted while I was using 2.1. I used a Z4Root or something like that. It was just on click root and it was working just fine.

A few months ago I upgraded my phone to 2.2 and every time I tried to use Wireless Tether it would think for a while and then would say: Can't use wireless tether (or something like that) is your phone 'rooted'?

I looked for posts to see if people had the same issue but couldn't find any (maybe I was looking for the wrong thing).

I decided to do a factory reset and so I did. Super user is still there and I read that that's normal. I tried to download wireless tether to see if it would work but the same question pop up: is your phone 'rooted'?

I went to see Super User and it wouldn't show Wireless Tether under the apps! I am not sure if it is supposed to be there... but it wasn't....

I then downloaded an app to check if my phone is rooted (it's called root checker - it's free in the market).
I verified if it was rooted in the advance mode and this is what it says:

Root Access is not properly configured or was not granted.

Standard su binary location:
/system/xbin/su: No such file or directory

Alternate su binary location:
/sbin/su: No such file or directory

SU binary not found in the system declared PATH

Can anyone help me? I want to be able to use wireless tether again and all that stuff... or... is it ok to just buy the app that I can use the internet from my phone through a USB cable? I've heard there is one for like 10 dollars or something like that... but If I am going to do that how do I get rid of the Super User thing?

Thanks!

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, if the apps you use say "not rooted", then I suspect you are not rooted.

If you did a factory reset to stock, then you lost your root. Plain and simple.

Everything you do, says you're not rooted, albiet 1 third party program.

Do the math.

As a test, I would download SetCpu. only as a test. If it does not give you permissions.... you lost your root.

If you want to use tether, and bypass the carrier fees, you willneed to be rooted.

tobiasthiago

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, if the apps you use say "not rooted", then I suspect you are not rooted.

If you did a factory reset to stock, then you lost your root. Plain and simple.

Everything you do, says you're not rooted, albiet 1 third party program.

Do the math.

As a test, I would download SetCpu. only as a test. If it does not give you permissions.... you lost your root.

If you want to use tether, and bypass the carrier fees, you willneed to be rooted.
and why do I have super user? Should I just not pay attention to that and try to root it again?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
and why do I have super user? Should I just not pay attention to that and try to root it again?

Personally, I have never encountered this experience. So I don't know what to expect.

You won't hurt anything by trying to root again.

Although, as all normal practices dictate, always do a backup before everything. Then you can boot to recover and restore.

I suspect you lost root.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Beginner needs Help - Unroot Samsung EPIC 4G after upgraded t

Download Terminal Emulator from the market and type:

su (then press enter)

it should return to the next line and show:
#

If it shows # then you are rooted. If it shows $ you are not. I suspect you are still rooted but may need to update busybox or the SU app.