I was using the Google Photos/Drive sync to get smartphone photos to my Windows 7 desktop. Now that Google has stopped the sync, what are good substitutes?

The sync was always confusing. The explanation of its removal is even more so. And I have 40+ years experience in programming and systems analysis ...

It it matters, my phone is a Samsung J3. I'm willing to use a different camera app -- I've only been using the default. AFAICT it has no ability to specify where to save photos -- IOW a camera app which could save to Dropbox would solve this. I'm happy to pay for an app.

Google's only substitute seems to be "export your data". I want to walk in my front door with my phone in my pocket, walk over to my computer and see my photos. Shouldn't be that difficult ... it worked before despite Google's best efforts to foul it up. ;-)
    07-21-2019 10:03 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Are you backing up your photos to your Google Photos in the cloud, or only to Google Drive? On your computer, go to photos.google.com -- do you see all of your photos there?
    07-22-2019 01:22 PM
    Thanks.

1) My phone sends photos I take to Google Photos.
    2) My photos appear on the web (photos.google.com).
    3) My photos used to appear in Google Drive, visible in Windows Explorer, until Google stopped this sync.
    4) I do backups from my Windows desktop; Google Drive contents get backed up from there. I'm retired from 40+ years in IT, so I'm pretty sensitive about backups. Since Google Photos is not visible in Windows Explorer, new photos aren't currently getting backed up, though this is a minor issue.

Edward
    [I posted this two days ago -- I remember seeing the message that it's awaiting approval -- but now I'm not seeing any sign that it's either in the queue or rejected, so I'm doubting my memory and trying again.]
    07-24-2019 09:45 AM
    Since Google stopped the photo sync between Google Photos and Google Drive, you'd just have to manually download your photos from the Google Photos website to your PC, if you want locally saved copies. I'm not sure if there's an easy way to mass-download your photos (which, for many people, would be a huge amount of data and might take hours, depending on connection speed).

See this: https://support.google.com/photos/an...DDesktop&hl=en
    07-25-2019 01:53 PM
    Got it. Thank you for the help.

I did discover that I can click on the date to select all the photos for that date, then download (which gets just the selected photos). It's an extra step but it's the best I've found.

And in my Copious Spare Time (tm) I'll look at other camera apps, and maybe I'll find one that can save to a different sharing service.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-25-2019 05:05 PM
    The camera app doesn't do the sharing, Android itself does.
    07-26-2019 05:11 PM
    Ah, thanks. And I presume there's no way to configure that.

Edward
    07-26-2019 06:52 PM