As I mentioned, accidentally clicked on "Congratulations, you won!" popup on a hacked website, in fairly up to date Android Chrome, on Android 8 device.

Now I'm terrified.

I didn't notice anything download from Google Play, and no new apps in my drawer...but what are the chances that my phone has now been compromised with a backdoor to my files?

I do not feel comfortable downloading any malware or antivirus software...just as I am terrified for the safety of my private data, I do not want a commercial program (with who-knows-what terms and conditions) snooping i.e. scanning my entire phone.

I am terrified that that "ok" click has now opened a backdoor. What do I do?
    08-09-2019 07:52 PM
    As I mentioned, accidentally clicked on "Congratulations, you won!" popup on a hacked website, in fairly up to date Android Chrome, on Android 8 device.

Now I'm terrified.

I didn't notice anything download from Google Play, and no new apps in my drawer...but what are the chances that my phone has now been compromised with a backdoor to my files?

I do not feel comfortable downloading any malware or antivirus software...just as I am terrified for the safety of my private data, I do not want a commercial program (with who-knows-what terms and conditions) snooping i.e. scanning my entire phone.

I am terrified that that "ok" click has now opened a backdoor. What do I do?
    Where did it take you after that?
    Do you see any issues with the phone?
    08-09-2019 07:54 PM
    I didn't notice any download, it just seemed to pop up the same screen again...if i recall correctly. nothing else seems to have opened or happened...this was in the "temporary" chrome search results, not in the main browser tabs...the results open, from the google search bar, in a standalone chrome window (which i could then chooses to "open in chrome"). I just x'd out the search results window, and nothing else seems to have changed.

In any case, don't see any new apps in my app drawer.
    08-09-2019 08:07 PM
    I didn't notice any download, it just seemed to pop up the same screen again...if i recall correctly. nothing else seems to have opened or happened...this was in the "temporary" chrome search results, not in the main browser tabs...the results open, from the google search bar, in a standalone chrome window (which i could then chooses to "open in chrome"). I just x'd out the search results window, and nothing else seems to have changed.

In any case, don't see any new apps in my app drawer.
    Then I wouldn't worry because it would've done something by now .
    08-09-2019 08:10 PM
    Is there any way to ensure it did not surreptitiously download a hidden app, and that it's not reading all my private files and uploading them somewhere, preparing for some sort of blackmail attack and such? I'm more worried about file access than app installation...
    08-09-2019 08:15 PM
    Is there any way to ensure it did not surreptitiously download a hidden app, and that it's not reading all my private files and uploading them somewhere, preparing for some sort of blackmail attack and such? I'm more worried about file access than app installation...
    As long as you dont have allowed to install unknown apps toggle on , you should be fine ,usually chrome can handle those things unless u changed its permissions.
    08-09-2019 08:19 PM
    Thanks so far for the help....Unfortunately, this is Android 8...they have removed the "unknown apps" permission list, and I cannot find any way to access a list of which apps have this permission granted...any ideas?

Oh wait...i found it. It only lists a few apps...not even sure what it means. It's not showing whether or not each app allows it, as it does with other permissions...jeez.
    08-09-2019 08:24 PM
    Thanks so far for the help....Unfortunately, this is Android 8...they have removed the "unknown apps" permission list, and I cannot find any way to access a list of which apps have this permission granted...any ideas?

Oh wait...i found it. It only lists a few apps...not even sure what it means. It's not showing whether or not each app allows it, as it does with other permissions...jeez.
    Long press the chrome app tap info then scroll down . You can clear out websites you been and site storage
    08-09-2019 08:29 PM
    08-09-2019 08:29 PM
    Thanks again for all the help!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    08-09-2019 08:56 PM
    Thanks again for all the help!
    Your welcome , no problem.
    08-09-2019 08:59 PM