SD Card Migration

JBu92

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
So I recently purchased a 16GB SD card to shove in my phone, and was wondering if there's anything special to take care of when upgrading. A quick google search revealed that some people have had problems with this, so I wanted to be sure that I know what to do before my card gets here. So, is it as simple as moving my data from one card to the other, or is there some preferred process?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Just copy the information from one sd card to the other and you'll be good to go. Most sd cards are formatted for use out of the box. You may format it before transferring data onto it just in case :)

wantabe

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I use fat32 which is the default but what I like to do is use 32kb for the allocation size. Using a bigger allocation size will speed up the read and write speeds. If you have a bunch of small files less than 32kb then space will be wasted but for the most part all your files will be much bigger than that.

Last edited:

JBu92

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Just copy the information from one sd card to the other and you'll be good to go. Most sd cards are formatted for use out of the box. You may format it before transferring data onto it just in case :)

well, y'know, that's what I was thinking, but given some of the google results, apparently some people have issues with this? a lot of my apps are on the SD card, and all the data and whatnot, so I don't know if that'll be an issue or what...

wantabe

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
It's been a while since I've done it but I just copied everything over and didn't have any problems. I do keep backups of clockwork and titanium along with some other folders on my laptop.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Also keep in mind, if you're going to run apps off the SD, it will be better to shell out a couple bucks more, to get a higher class card. Like a class 10.

JBu92

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Also keep in mind, if you're going to run apps off the SD, it will be better to shell out a couple bucks more, to get a higher class card. Like a class 10.
I did. And the apps is where people seem to have the most problems- apparently just moving the data doesn't work for some people...

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Usually, we just move the apps to SD when asked.

Note, that is for most of us rooted and Rommed.

When you have branded phone, some apps, just can't be moved. Maybe you can get a small portion, but for the most part, the biggest majority of the guts, won't be moved. It's like running an app, from floppy, in laymans terms. Some parts, are stuck exactly where they are. Now of course, the device has to switch between what's on the hard drive, and what's on the floppy.

When you download from the market, I suspect, most is installed to internal memory. Why not. It's the path of least resistance. And when you try and move it to SD, well, it butchers it up. Part stays on internal, and part on external. It's like running back and forth to get beer, only to find out, it's not the beer they want, because it has been waiting just for beer.

When you root and Rom, these beer runs stop. Now, when the ph says bring me beer, (access an app), it drinks the beer without complaining. After all, all it wants is beer, not the running back and forth.

Something like this....

End result, root.... Faster access.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Move the apps back onto the phone and transfer everything else to the new sd card. You can then move all apps back to the new sd card once it's installed.

I have a Sprint Hero and data is extremely limited. There is a hack called Data to ext2 that I'm using and allows me to use sd card data for app storage through an ext2 partition. Apps stay on the sd card and I'm able to make a backup of all apps and data by using Titanium Backup. It's a tricky way to use the sd card for apps storage but works great for phones with low memory allocation.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
:D
Move the apps back onto the phone and transfer everything else to the new sd card. You can then move all apps back to the new sd card once it's installed.

I have a Sprint Hero and data is extremely limited. There is a hack called Data to ext2 that I'm using and allows me to use sd card data for app storage through an ext2 partition. Apps stay on the sd card and I'm able to make a backup of all apps and data by using Titanium Backup. It's a tricky way to use the sd card for apps storage but works great for phones with low memory allocation.

Yes, it's tricky, but it works. Keeps your apps on a seperate partition of the SD card, resulting in faster access.

Remember, when you start creating additional partitions, you further your knowledge.

And if you want to throw caution to the wind, we can also partition your internal memory....

And all the guy wanted to originally know, was migrating to a larger SD card... Ohhhhhhh...

SRK opened a can full of worms

:D:D:D

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
:D

Yes, it's tricky, but it works. Keeps your apps on a seperate partition of the SD card, resulting in faster access.

Remember, when you start creating additional partitions, you further your knowledge.

And if you want to throw caution to the wind, we can also partition your internal memory....

And all the guy wanted to originally know, was migrating to a larger SD card... Ohhhhhhh...

SRK opened a can full of worms

:D:D:D

Ha ha. I looked into partitioning the internal memory but it seemed to be a bit more high maintenance with regards to flashing new ROMs or updated existing ROMs. I'm sure it's easy once you do it a few times, but the data to ext 2 method seemed a lot easier :)

OP, are you rooted?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Ha ha. I looked into partitioning the internal memory but it seemed to be a bit more high maintenance with regards to flashing new ROMs or updated existing ROMs. I'm sure it's easy once you do it a few times, but the data to ext 2 method seemed a lot easier :)

It's................. interesting. And, it extended the memory of my Desire. And some ROMs are a bit tempermental, But,,,,, when you screw the pooch, oh..... it does a good job. :D:D:D That pooch be whining!!!

I stick with Apps2SD now. Basic, simple.

It tell me when, Moscow say yes, move to SD.

Life is happy....

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It's................. interesting. And, it extended the memory of my Desire. And some ROMs are a bit tempermental, But,,,,, when you screw the pooch, oh..... it does a good job. :D:D:D That pooch be whining!!!

I stick with Apps2SD now. Basic, simple.

It tell me when, Moscow say yes, move to SD.

Life is happy....

I've used Apps2SD early and thought it was great. The only drawback I had with it was early in it's development and the requirement that developers had to implement it into their ROMs in order for it to run smooth. That's the only reason why I shy'd away from it because developers had mixed opinions on it early on and it wasn't consistently supported.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I see where you're coming from. Unfortunately, I got into romming a touch on the late side, and after a few forays into the dark side, I stuck with CM.

As for the OP (original poster), do like SRK says. Install TB. Just in case you want to save some of your user setings on some apps. Well, at least "some" apps.

Doc

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
You may also want to create a list of all of the Apps that you have installed just in case the transfer and/or backup does not work properly. This will at least give you a starting point as to what Apps you will need to re-install.

Doc