verizon + google fi + international travel

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
hi everyone! i am heading to europe indefinitely and trying to figure out how to keep my US number without spending a fortune at verizon. i went for a month in may and not only was it costly, but the service was S L O W. navigation was practically impossible. i am not tech savvy enough to know if that was verizon throttling my data or my US phone roaming.

i have a LGV40 which is single SIM. i think i can get google fi for it. but i think i would then be giving up my number.

i could get a new phone like the pixel or god forbid an iphone both of which support dual SIM (SIM plus ESIM as i understand it). but that means getting a new phone. and i like having my micro SD card, headphone jack etc...(of course i can adapt if necessary).

anyway, i have seen many approaches to this dilemma: porting a number to google voice, using google fi or buying local SIM cards and each seem to have their own advantages and disadvantages. but now that i am learning about google fi i am wondering if i can have verizon for wifi connected calls (keep my number) and use google fi for data. is that possible? any other suggestions?

thank you!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a good solution for you right now, but I do recall seeing another post about someone who was using Google Fi extensively while out of the US, and the service was eventually cut -- there's a provision in the terms of service that says Google can cancel your service if it's abused, which includes using it excessively abroad.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a good solution for you right now, but I do recall seeing another post about someone who was using Google Fi extensively while out of the US, and the service was eventually cut -- there's a provision in the terms of service that says Google can cancel your service if it's abused, which includes using it excessively abroad.

that's scary! thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you in an area with poor T-Mobile, Sprint, or US Cellular coverage? Or are you in Europe right now?

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Are you in an area with poor T-Mobile, Sprint, or US Cellular coverage? Or are you in Europe right now?

good question. i am still in los angeles and hoping my speeds won't get worse when i get to europe later this week. but part of my thinking with trying fi was that i think i can still keep my number ported to google voice if i end up dumping fi for a european SIM.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If it's on GV, and you have WiFi coverage, the only reason you'll need a local SIM is for local (in Europe) calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair