Xiaomi Mi5 Fingerprint not recognised

pjtwyman

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a Xiaomi Mi5 with Oreo (MIUI Global Stable 10.2.2) and have a major problem with the fingerprint unlock function. I have no problem saving my fingerprints to the phone in the Lockscreen Settings. Usually I am able to unlock the phone and those apps requiring my fingerprints straight away. However after a short period the scan recognises my prints about only about 10%of the time. I am therefore dependent on the PIN. I have taken the usual steps, deleting and re-entering my fingerprints, turning off the screen lock and then setting up the PIN again and once more enrolling my fingerprints, wiping the device's cache. I have tried different fingers I have even factory reset the device.

This problem began about 2 weeks ago. Previous to that I used it for several months without a major problem with the fingerprint scanner (about 90% success rate). I do not believe this problem is due to dirty, wet or scarred fingers. The Home button (the scanner is in the Home button) looks undamaged. I did a hardware test which gave the scanner a pass. Attached are screenshots for the test.

I have looked on the web and the only possible solutions are flashing a new ROM or involve coding amendments. I am not comfortable with any of these.

I should point out there has been no MIUI version update for several months. Also I have had this problem with other Xiaomi phones - the fingerprint unlock works fine for a while then breaks down and after a while weeks perhaps will start working again. This was not so important as I seldom used those phones. However the Mi5 is my regular everyday phone and I need the fingerprint unlock to work.

I would appreciate any advice that would help.

Attachments

• Mi5 Fingerprint Scanner test.pdf
    515.3 KB · Views: 91

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Is it cold where you are? In the winter, our fingers actually shrivel a bit (if you have heat, that dries the air - if not, you're in cold air), and that messes up fingerprint scanners, sometimes to the point of not even being able to save new ones. Let a finger soak in warm (75°F/24°C) water for about 5 minutes, then dry it off and try again, to see if that's the problem. (I had 4 replacements sent to me by Google the first winter I had my Pixel 2 - the 4th one was brand new, but checked for fingerprint sensor working before shipment to me - it failed too. I got to the point that I asked the CS rep if they could replace my fingers under warranty. Jokingly, but that gave me the idea that it was my fingers, and I proved that it was. When the weather warmed up, the scanner started working again.)

pjtwyman

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

I doubt that temperature is the problem. It's between a minimum 10 or 12 Celsius and a maximum 25 over here. In the house at night it would be warmer (about 15-20).

Also there is the fact that straight after setting my fingerprints it works well for a short period but then fails.

Any other suggestions from you or others would be welcome

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

I doubt that temperature is the problem. It's between a minimum 10 or 12 Celsius and a maximum 25 over here. In the house at night it would be warmer (about 15-20).

Also there is the fact that straight after setting my fingerprints it works well for a short period but then fails.

Any other suggestions from you or others would be welcome
Can monitor for little bit in safe mode and see if issue there

pjtwyman

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I cannot get into Xiaomi safe mode. The directions I found on the Web don't work so I have emailed Xiaomi Support for advice on Mi5 Safe Mode. I am not optimistic about any reply.