Android tablet or Chromebook to use PowerDirector video app?

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I like using an Android app called PowerDirector by CyberLink for editing video clips. I'm currently using the Android phone app version on my Samsung Note 10+ phone. Although the screen is relatively large on my Note 10+ phone, I would like to edit videos on a larger screen that is maybe 10 or 12 inches in size for easier viewing and manipulation.

The PowerDirector app is made for Android (I've read it's not offered for Apple?). I'm debating whether to get maybe a 10" screen size Android tablet, or maybe a 10 or 12 inch screen Chromebook?

I've had a few Android tablets in the past, so I'm very familiar with it, unfortunately all of them are old and near death so I would need a new tablet if this is my final choice. I know very little about a Chromebook, never had one before, I only ever use Microsoft Windows for laptops and computers.

To summarize, my primary purpose is to downloaded large high-def 2k and 4k video clips into either an Android tablet or a Chromebook for the purpose of editing and exporting the final video to YouTube or somewhere else. Does editing videos require lots of RAM on the device or else it will choke on the large video files? My Samsung Note 10+ phone has 12GB of RAM, and editing videos is a breeze. I'm hoping it will be just as much a breeze using either a tablet or a Chromebook. By the way, I'm partial to a Samsung tablet, as I've had them before and am use to the Samsung interface.

Any specific models you would recommend? I'm hoping to spend no more than a couple hundred on Black Friday deals, if any.

Thanks!

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
How about BlueStacks? If you have a decent screen, that will give you at least a 10" or 12" Android screen.

Or MEmu?

Thanks for your reply, but I've never heard of BlueStacks or MEmu, don't what what those things are.

But you just gave me an idea. I should try to connect my Note 10+ to my "DEX" app on my Windows laptop. Maybe I might have a larger screen experience on my Lenovo Thinkpad 14" laptop. Hmmm.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Using Samsung DeX sounds like a good idea. And the software Rukbat suggested are 2 android emulators. Android emulators do tend to have various Chinese ad crap in them and unless you are like me and have at least an 8th gen Core i7 you'll be in for garbage performance. DeX uses your Note's powerful Snapdragon processor so that is of course the best solution.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Using Samsung DeX sounds like a good idea. And the software Rukbat suggested are 2 android emulators. Android emulators do tend to have various Chinese ad crap in them and unless you are like me and have at least an 8th gen Core i7 you'll be in for garbage performance. DeX uses your Note's powerful Snapdragon processor so that is of course the best solution.

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe if I feel daring enough, I might try those emulators. I've had DEX on my new Lenovo L380 Thinkpad laptop (with 8GB RAM Intel Core i5 processor) for some time now and it works well. I didn't think about trying DEX app for the PowerDirector app until now.

I checked out the Best Buy deals for Android tablets. There is a Samsung tablet and Lenovo tablet available for less than $150. But upon closer inspection, the specs on both Android tablets are garbage at only 2 MB of RAM and either 16 or 32 GB of internal storage (but a lesser problem with addition of a MicroSD card). I'm afraid that with only 2 MB of RAM, either tablet will simply choke on trying to edit and export the large video clips.

I use a Canon EOS 90D (32MP) DSLR camera that spits out 4k video clips that are large. I suspect the sub $150 tablets will have a hernia trying to edit those clips. I would have to spend $600 to get a Samsung tablet with decent specs, but that's more than I want to spend, especially if I'm only using it for just one app, which is the PowerDirector video editing app.

As for a Chromebook, I would have to spend considerably more on a model that has both touch screen (a must) plus decent specs. Again, more than I want to spend for only using a single app. Otherwise, I would have no need for a Chromebook.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Question: So would you guys agree that with only 2GB of RAM, either an Android tablet or Chromebook would choke on the large video files for editing on the PowerDirector Android app?

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Update here:

I ended up trying my luck with the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" Android tablet at Best Buy on sale for $159.00. I thought, what the hay, if this thing is junk I can easily refund it. It turns out that even though this relatively below average tablet only has 2GB of RAM and 32GB of storage, it's actually a decent performer. When I used the Android video editor app PowerDirector to render/export/produce 28 separate video clips into a combined file, it took about 24 minutes to finish. At no time did the tablet choke on the 1024p mpeg4 files, the app did not crash, and the tablet was able to handle manipulation of video files smoothly. As a comparison, my Samsung Note 10+ phone with its 12GB of on-board RAM only took 9 minutes to finish exporting the same video files. So hey, the tablet is about 2.6x slower than my phone, but that's okay, I can live with that cuz I'm able to benefit from the larger 10.1" screen for video file manipulation versus my phone screen. I went to Best Buy today before Black Friday and picked up a large Sandisk 256GB and 512GB micro-SD card for cheap on sale. Now my Samsung tablet has 256GB of external storage for my video files versus the pathetic 32GB built-in. So all in all, I'm satisfied with this economy mid range tablet that previously cost $230+ earlier this year.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...oCOo8QAvD_BwE%26gclsrc%3Daw.ds&token=MBPGcdGU

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000