Replacing Droid 2, need advice

anon(58977)

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone.
With my D2 already having a failed power button (replacement should be here tomorrow), and with Motorola historically being very quiet regarding any updates, support, lousy updates etc as of late (though I do own a Xoom which I love), I have an early upgrade next month and thinking of taking it.

Here are some things to consider:

- I have Verizon Wireless
- Upgrade due on 7/28
- Have traditionally had moto handsets, and have the Droid 2 now
- Prefer the qwerty keyboard but can part with it for a soft one
- Larger screens are nice
- Need plenty of oomph and upgradeability (e.g. my phone had the 8gb internal storage for plenty of future proof upgrades...well in theory anyways)
- A plus if custom roms available

I would also like to start with a gingerbread phone at this point. Froyo was great but the D2 stock rom is total crap and Liberty was its only saving grace for a long time.

So, what is it that people prefer/suggest?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Ha ha. There have been a few similar threads so I think people may not want to reply because of it.

As of right now, the Thunderbolt and Droid Charge might be the newest devices which meet some of your ideal features. The Thunderbolt seems to be a bit more active on XDA based on a quick look through the Development forum. This doesn't mean it's better than the Charge, or that the Charge is not active, it was just a quick look.

Both offer LTE if that's something you might want when you upgrade. If not, then you may want to consider the Incredible 2 or Droid X2. The Droid Bionic is expected to be released next month based on a leaked screenshot of a Verizon roadmap. If you can wait it out I would suggest doing so just to have another device to choose from. For reference:

Droid Charge is Samsung, Droid X2 and Bionic are Moto, Thunderbolt is HTC and Revolution is LG. I didn't give you much feedback, but hopefully enough that will stimulate some good responses :)

anon(58977)

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Ha ha. There have been a few similar threads so I think people may not want to reply because of it.

As of right now, the Thunderbolt and Droid Charge might be the newest devices which meet some of your ideal features. The Thunderbolt seems to be a bit more active on XDA based on a quick look through the Development forum. This doesn't mean it's better than the Charge, or that the Charge is not active, it was just a quick look.

Both offer LTE if that's something you might want when you upgrade. If not, then you may want to consider the Incredible 2 or Droid X2. The Droid Bionic is expected to be released next month based on a leaked screenshot of a Verizon roadmap. If you can wait it out I would suggest doing so just to have another device to choose from. For reference:

Droid Charge is Samsung, Droid X2 and Bionic are Moto, Thunderbolt is HTC and Revolution is LG. I didn't give you much feedback, but hopefully enough that will stimulate some good responses :)

Your response is greatly appreciated!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Your response is greatly appreciated!

Also forgot to mention that you can go onto the Verizon website and select up to 4 or 5 devices and compare. This will give you a good idea as to how each stacks up against each other spec wise.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae