After some music sorting problems on my default music player, I downloaded the free version of PowerAMP to test it out. All my music is under the file folder "Music" and after selecting that folder, it added all the songs to my PowerAMP library (which is good!). Here's the bad part: it once again categorized all my music as "Unknown artist" and "Unknown album". They all have artist information, some have album info but none of it is displayed. So basically, my music is still a mess. Can anyone help?
    06-29-2011 06:49 PM
    As always with threads like this: check your tag data. If you're using iTunes don't rely on iTunes to get your tags correct. Edit the tags on your PC and copy/sync them all over again or else you'll constantly have tag issues.
    06-30-2011 07:11 AM
    As always with threads like this: check your tag data. If you're using iTunes don't rely on iTunes to get your tags correct. Edit the tags on your PC and copy/sync them all over again or else you'll constantly have tag issues.
    How do I edit tags on my computer? When I tried to Google it, all the results were about editing tags through a media player (iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc.). How do I do it to the original file?

(I think that is my problem, I could explain it but I feel like you know it already because you suggested it in the first place!)

Thanks so much! You're the first helpful reply.
    07-01-2011 10:49 AM
    You can edit tags directly in Power Amp:
    Long press on a song> info> edit tags
    07-01-2011 11:08 AM
    Okay that's helpful, but I can't click on the "Edit Tags" button, I think this has a problem with PowerAMP not even being able to play it! I just downloaded a couple songs to see if the tagging correction helped (it didn't) and PowerAMP says it's a "Failed File" and it won't play it. Which is weird, because I can play it on WMP, iTunes and it's just a regular mp3 file.

Ughhhhh. This is so frustrating.
    07-01-2011 11:09 PM
    editing the tag in Power AMP, or on the PC resolves the issue.... #Garbage
    08-15-2012 11:07 PM
    Poweramp: Unknown Album, Unknown Artist.

This was an issue that was driving me nuts but I was eventually able to solve it by trial and error.

What I found is a problem when special character is used in the Contributing Artist field of the Meta Data. In my case (I am using mp3 files) and the specific character was and ampersand &. . Not sure what other special characters this may apply to but when I cleared the Contributing Artist field the issue went away.

Interesting that poweramp does not display the Contributing Artist field.

In any event the way I went about resolving the problem was to first delete the files from my phone using poweramp. Then to change the meta data for the files on my main computer (My files are stored on a windows 7 computer)using the following method.

This post came from Bakoro on the windows 7 forum:
    1.Highlight all the files that you wish to clear any sort of meta data from.
    2.Right click and go to properties.
    3.Click on the Details tab.
    4.At the bottom of the Details tab, there is something that says "Remove Properties and Personal Information. Click on it. Don't worry it won't ruin anything.
    5. A new panel will pop up, click on the second bubble option and BAM, you can select all the info that you want to clear for all those 93GB of music that were ruining your MP3 player artist lists or album lists or what ever.

I used this method to clear the contributing artist field, then reloaded my files onto the phone. (I just drag and drop the files from my computer to my phone using a usb connection).
    When I disconnected the phone and brought up poweramp there was no longer an issue.

Hope this helps
    08-19-2013 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD