I have a Galaxy S8 plus (not rooted) and want to connect it to my 2019 VW Polo Highline. The infotainment system is "Discover Media". I have the options for android auto and mirrorlink but I cannot find a way to stream youtube on the car's infotainment system.

I intend on using this system to keep the kids entertained on long car trips and to watch videos during my lunch break at work.

Also can I mirror games on the infotainment system?
    12-21-2019 04:37 AM
    One thing to keep in mind is that the goal of in-dash infotainment systems is to REDUCE distraction. Getting YouTube or games on there is going to be quite the challenge - Android Auto certainly won't allow for it.
    Rukbat likes this.
    12-21-2019 07:25 AM
    It would be nice to watch a video on the infotainment system whilst stationary in my car during lunch break. Its a bigger screen than my phone and I don't want to buy a tablet and mount it in the car for the same effect.

It's a clutter free solution that makes use of the screen already in the car WHILE STATIONARY WITH THE IGNITION OFF.
    12-21-2019 09:47 AM
    The problem is that if they make it even at all possible to do, even if the engine isn't running, SOMEONE will find a way to bypass the lockout to be able to watch videos while driving, which is illegal in many places if it's in view of the driver while the vehicle is in motion.

The capabilities of the infotainment system as they relate to mirrorlink would be something to explore there, but your device would need to have support for that as well.
    12-21-2019 10:47 AM
    I'm sure there's a whole liability issue as well. If there were some easy way to stream, and then some lunkhead killed someone in a crash while watching GOT on the 405, people could probably sue the manufacturer for allowing this to happen.
    12-21-2019 11:56 AM
    I don't know where you are, but in the US it's illegal in some jurisdictions to even have a video playing on a device that the driver can see. It's that dangerous. (People have been killed by drivers just talking by phone [even using hands-free devices - it's not holding the phone that's dangerous, it's the distraction], so watching a video? Even if you just glance over for a second ... just as a kid darts out in front of you?)
    12-21-2019 03:50 PM