A Version Of The AndroidOS That Has Multitasking Like The WebOS?

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

I did some searches on this topic, but couldn't find anything related to this. My question, is there a version of the AndroidOS that has multitasking like the WebOS has? Where you can have a bunch of apps open and running all at the same time and then be able to minimize different apps into the background so you can switch between many apps at once and just be able to work more easily? If there isn't a version of Android that can do this, is there any apps or mods that can do this? If Sprint doesn't get another WebOS phone before my Pre breaks down, then I will be forced to switch to an Android phone. But I'm so used to the WebOS's ability to multitask, that it would be a tough transition to Android without multitasking. So I just want to see what the AndroidOS can do with multitasking.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: A Version Of The AndroidOS That Has Multitasking Like The Web

You can have apps stay open and running in the background. Flipping through them is not as good as webos does it. Hold home button and a list of recent applications appear. I think there are apps that give you better view of recent apps, but you won't get the "card view" of running apps.

Edit: I found a few you might like.

Itching Thumb (Task Manager) | AppBrain Android Market

Visual Task Switcher Free | AppBrain Android Market

Reactions: the2ndflood

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

You can have apps stay open and running in the background. Flipping through them is not as good as webos does it. Hold home button and a list of recent applications appear. I think there are apps that give you better view of recent apps, but you won't get the "card view" of running apps.

Edit: I found a few you might like.

Thumb (Task Manager) | AppBrain Android Market

Task Switcher Free | AppBrain Android Market

So switching between tasks on the AndroidOS will not look as good as it does on the WebOS? As long as I can switch between tasks, then it wouldn't matter to me what it looks like. As long as I can do it, then I'm happy. The Task Switcher free looks good icon wise. Wow there is a bunch of task switching apps for the AndroidOS! How did I miss that? Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

This is what the stock Android Os recent apps lists looks like:
snap20110629_222503.png

Last edited:

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

Unless you specifically exit an app, apps are left running unless resources need to be reclaimed.

I did some searches on this topic, but couldn't find anything related to this. My question, is there a version of the AndroidOS that has multitasking like the WebOS has? Where you can have a bunch of apps open and running all at the same time and then be able to minimize different apps into the background so you can switch between many apps at once and just be able to work more easily?
As stated above Android does multitask. It just doesn't have the same task switcher that WebOS does.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

So are those apps shown in that window open apps that are running in the background ready to be used? Or are they just shortcuts to apps that you had open, but were closed out after you exited them?

Those apps are the 8-apps last used, in order. Android has a great built in manager in that the apps are closed in the background to make room for new apps and to keep the phone running smoothly.

Last edited:

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I was a die hard WebOS fan, running a hacked Pre- with 2.1 WebOS.

I switched to the Nexus S 4G and have never looked back. The Gingerbread version of Android is quite good, but the EAS client has several shortcomings.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk