How to remove shortcuts/most visited sites button in android Google chrome homepage?

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On the Google page, scroll all the way down and tap Settings, then Search Settings. Under Discover, select "Don't show on homepage."

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized this is not what you're asking about. Let me dig a little deeper.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I figured out a workaround.

1. Open Chrome, and tap Menu>Settings.
2. Tap Home Page.
3. Make sure the Home Page toggle is turned on, then change the Open This Page site to google.com.
4. If you make sure Discover is also turned off, then your new tabs will just show the plain Google page with the search bar and nothing else!

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I figured out a workaround.

1. Open Chrome, and tap Menu>Settings.
2. Tap Home Page.
3. Make sure the Home Page toggle is turned on, then change the Open This Page site to google.com.
4. If you make sure Discover is also turned off, then your new tabs will just show the plain Google page with the search bar and nothing else!

I followed step 1 to 3 and it does not work.
Not sure how to do step 4.

(I am using Chrome browser in Samsung Note 8.) (In About Chrome I see Application version Chrome 79.0.3945.93)

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
On the Google page, scroll all the way down and tap Settings, then Search Settings. Under Discover, select "Don't show on homepage."

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized this is not what you're asking about. Let me dig a little deeper.

After doing this "On the Google page, scroll all the way down and tap Settings, then Search Settings." I do not see any "Discover" text?

(I am using Chrome browser in Samsung Note 8.) (In About Chrome I see Application version Chrome 79.0.3945.93)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
After doing this "On the Google page, scroll all the way down and tap Settings, then Search Settings." I do not see any "Discover" text?

Make sure you type google.com in the URL bar first, so that you're on the actual Google site. If you see the 8 frequently visited sites, that's just your newtab page, which is actually different from google.com.

Assuming you've done this, and that you're in the Search Settings menu, what options do you see? I see Search History, SafeSearch Filters, Discover, Video, Handwrite, Private Results, and a few others. Do you see any of those options?

BTW, I have the exact same Chrome version as you, but one caveat is that sometimes the Chrome browser version that's preinstalled on non-Pixel phones has slightly different options and features than the one on Pixel phones. (The main example I can think of is the ability to add a Home button to the non-Pixel Chrome version that takes you to the homepage you selected.)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Make sure you type google.com in the URL bar first, so that you're on the actual Google site. If you see the 8 frequently visited sites, that's just your newtab page, which is actually different from google.com.

Assuming you've done this, and that you're in the Search Settings menu, what options do you see? I see Search History, SafeSearch Filters, Discover, Video, Handwrite, Private Results, and a few others. Do you see any of those options?

BTW, I have the exact same Chrome version as you, but one caveat is that sometimes the Chrome browser version that's preinstalled on non-Pixel phones has slightly different options and features than the one on Pixel phones. (The main example I can think of is the ability to add a Home button to the non-Pixel Chrome version that takes you to the homepage you selected.)
I wonder if OP referring to open tabs that you just tap the number of tab on top right and swipe them away

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

I type google.com in the URL bar first and in google.com site I do not see the 8 frequently visited sites.

I press the new tab button, I see the 8 frequently visited sites. How can I remove the 8 frequently sites whenever I press the new tab button?

In the Search Settings menu, I see Search History, SafeSearch Filters, Video, Handwrite, Private Results... (did not see Discover). screenshot: jqCxWBr.png

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I type google.com in the URL bar first and in google.com site I do not see the 8 frequently visited sites.

I press the new tab button, I see the 8 frequently visited sites. How can I remove the 8 frequently sites whenever I press the new tab button?

In the Search Settings menu, I see Search History, SafeSearch Filters, Video, Handwrite, Private Results... (did not see Discover). screenshot: View attachment 315094
When you press new tab and it minimize and shows the others just swipe away

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
When you press new tab and it minimize and shows the others just swipe away

There is nothing to swipe. I am not talking about opened tabs. Click on the 2 links I posted in the first post and see the screenshot of the 8 frequently visited sites buttons I am talking about.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
There is nothing to swipe. I am not talking about opened tabs. Click on the 2 links I posted in the first post and see the screenshot of the 8 frequently visited sites buttons I am talking about.
Don't you get this menu if you long press any of those icons?Screenshot_20200105-235133.jpeg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think there must be some minor differences between the Chrome version that's on Samsung and the one on Pixels, judging by the menu you shared.:-\

So just to be clear -- the Google page with the 8 frequently visited sites is technically the newtab page (chrome://newtab/), while google.com is the basic Google homepage with the search bar but without the frequently visited sites (but potentially with the Discover feed). You're saying that you're unable to change the homepage in Chrome's settings from chrome://newtab/ to google.com?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463