If I set my phone to only ring for callers that are in my contacts, will I still get voicemails?
    This is both good and bad because 90% of the time i'm left a voicemail of 5 seconds of silence from the spam calls so I still have to go in and manually clear it. But I'll at least get my messages from important callers that aren't in my contacts.

I really need to be able to get calls from my sons daycare, and with my mom in hospital I really need to get calls from any number. However, I get spam calls 6 times or more a day that I never answer and it's driving me nuts. And I have to check all of the time in case it's daycare or the hospital. Something has to change with all of this! It's ridiculous already and getting worse all the time.

I'm seriously considering cancelling my phone service and just getting a data plan for email and do all of my communication that way. If everyone knows to contact me that way, might work out and be the only solutions. Are we seriously not even going to have phone service some day because spam calls will literally be coming in non stop and destroy the phone industry?
    01-14-2020 12:44 PM
    If I set my phone to only ring for callers that are in my contacts, will I still get voicemails?
    This is both good and bad because 90% of the time i'm left a voicemail of 5 seconds of silence from the spam calls so I still have to go in and manually clear it. But I'll at least get my messages from important callers that aren't in my contacts.

I really need to be able to get calls from my sons daycare, and with my mom in hospital I really need to get calls from any number. However, I get spam calls 6 times or more a day that I never answer and it's driving me nuts. And I have to check all of the time in case it's daycare or the hospital. Something has to change with all of this! It's ridiculous already and getting worse all the time.

I'm seriously considering cancelling my phone service and just getting a data plan for email and do all of my communication that way. If everyone knows to contact me that way, might work out and be the only solutions. Are we seriously not even going to have phone service some day because spam calls will literally be coming in non stop and destroy the phone industry?
    I assume you mean using by using the do not disturb feature , with it set just to receive calls from your contacts ?

Yes , you will still get the voicemails .

The phone would still ring as normal when people call you, who are your contacts .
    01-14-2020 03:49 PM
    No actually. I mean in the phone app settings is a "block unknown callers" toggle. Wondering if the "unknown" callers will still be able to leave a message, even though the phone won't ring for me, I assume.

Edit: Unless that is only a samsung setting? I keep forgetting I'm posting in the general forums. I don't venture out of the note 10 section much.
    01-14-2020 03:57 PM
    No actually. I mean in the phone app settings is a "block unknown callers" toggle. Wondering if the "unknown" callers will still be able to leave a message, even though the phone won't ring for me, I assume.

Edit: Unless that is only a samsung setting? I keep forgetting I'm posting in the general forums. I don't venture out of the note 10 section much.
    Hi, do you have the unlocked version ?
    01-14-2020 04:24 PM
    It was purchased through Rogers in Canada. But as far as I know carriers here are required to only use unlocked phones now.
    01-14-2020 04:26 PM
    It was purchased through Rogers in Canada. But as far as I know carriers here are required to only use unlocked phones now.
    I have the Note 10+ unlocked from Samsung USA version I have in phone app settings spam caller id So sick of spam calls. Setting to only ring for contacts.-screenshot_20200114-162920_call-20settings.jpeg
    J Dubbs likes this.
    01-14-2020 04:29 PM
    Yeah I have that too, set to enabled. For these calls hiya doesn’t work. They are random, probably spoofed numbers that change every day. I block the number and 3 hours later a new call from another number, same area code. They all come from different area codes, in a given day, all of them in Ontario in Canada, then the next day it’s all calls from another Ontario area code. I’ve tried to find an app that can block an area code but not luck.
    01-14-2020 08:10 PM
    Yeah I have that too, set to enabled. For these calls hiya doesn’t work. They are random, probably spoofed numbers that change every day. I block the number and 3 hours later a new call from another number, same area code. They all come from different area codes, in a given day, all of them in Ontario in Canada, then the next day it’s all calls from another Ontario area code. I’ve tried to find an app that can block an area code but not luck.
    Have you tried DND ? They will go to voicemail though
    01-14-2020 08:20 PM
    I get a lot of spam based on the jerk that had this cell number before me.
    Mine is a Pixel XL and Google has an semi-auto answer feature that will answer spam call. Pita to have to invoke it but good to have.
    01-15-2020 08:03 AM
    Do Samsung phones have the call screen feature? I know Moto phones now come with it as well as pixels. Very handy to screen and block in one quick shot. My wife was having big problems with spam/robocalls until she started using it, it really seemed to cut down on the calls. Plus she turned on the spam filter as well.
    01-15-2020 08:20 AM
    Have you tried DND ? They will go to voicemail though
    I use DND overnight when I only want family members to contact me in case of emergency, but don't want my phone to notify me that a co-worker sent me a cat picture. lol

And as Chuckcell pointed out, I'm leery of changing my number (not to mention the hassle as I've had this number since flip phones were the rage) because I may get a number that's even worse.

I dunno, I might just have to try the setting to block unknown callers.

Thanks all for all of the help. If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions though please share.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    01-15-2020 09:13 AM