Why is Huawei P Smart stopping apps running in background when it shouldn't be?

Jan 27, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

I've been having issues with my push notifications for a while, and finally isolated the cause - for some apps they're working and for others they aren't, but I've found if I go into settings, battery, battery usage and look down the list of apps (when they're all closed) some are marked "stopped" (the ones which aren't producing push notifications) and others are marked "running" (those which are working correctly).
From this I can only assume that the ones marked "stopped" (including discord and twitter) aren't running in the background and this is why they can't send push notifications, whilst ones marked "running" (such as gmail and facebook messenger) are running in the background and so they can.
BUT if I go to apps, select a "stopped" one and then go to its power usage details, on app launch they all state "background activity not restricted" - so how do I prevent them from being stopped so I can get notifications from them?

I've attached images of the key screens in case - all battery optimization settings are disabled as well.

Screenshot_20200127_232933_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpgScreenshot_20200128_000533_com.android.settings.jpgScreenshot_20200128_000545_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg

Thank you in advance!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is not surprising for Huawei. Chinese manufacturers like Huawei tend to be pretty aggressive with RAM management for the sake of saving battery (but without much regard for how an app is supposed to work). Unfortunately, Samsung seems to be jumping on this bandwagon to a certain extent recently. See this site: https://dontkillmyapp.com/huawei

Jan 27, 2020
Visit site
Huawei apps unable to run in background even with correct settings

I've been having issues on my P Smart (EMUI 9.1, Android version 9). For all my apps background running/data usage is allowed, all battery saving/optimisation modes are disabled, all apps have been set to "don't allow" (battery optimisation to stop them from running) and all have notifications enabled. However I'm only getting push notificatons from them sometimes, and I've found why - if I close everything and go to look at battery usage, some apps are marked "stopped" and others "running" and these change seemingly at random, hence why I only get push notifications sometimes - but like I said, all my settings shouldn't be allowing this to happen. Any suggestions on how to fix?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Some apps (like whatever your default email app is) will run when the phone receives a push notice (apps don't send pushes, they receive them), because anything coming in from the internet on port 110 or 993 is going to be email. But unless there's an official port for a service, there's no way for the phone to know to run the app (which app should it run?), so the app has to be running and watching the port number it's supposed to watch.

B. Diddy's link will keep those apps that don't "wake up" from being killed.