I'm doing some troubleshooting with text message composition, and the question arose 'what app am I using'? Interestingly, I can't seem to find any obvious answer ... nothing like 'help / about' as found in most 'windows' apps, for example. So ... here's the icon for the app on my new Samsung S10:

What Messenger app am I using on my Samsung S10?-screenshot_20200131-203724_one-ui-home-s10-crop.jpg

and for reference, here's the icon for the messaging app on my old S7:

What Messenger app am I using on my Samsung S10?-screenshot_20200131-204453_samsung-experience-home-s7-crop.jpg

So my specific question is, who's apps are these (Samsung, Google, Verizon? - it's a Samsung phone, running Google's Android, supplied by Verizon - so any one of them could be logical answer) and ... more generally, how does one answer this question in general? I looked through the Google Play store to try to match icons, no luck.

EDIT TO ADD: I found the 'Default Apps' list in settings. This is what I see there:

What Messenger app am I using on my Samsung S10?-screenshot_20200131-230102_permission-controller-s10-crop.jpg

Now, I believe that the first one (red) is Verizon's messenger app. And the last one (4th) is Facebook's messenger app. But the second and third are identically named, and there's no further identification! The third one is obviously what I'm currently using ... whatever that is!
    02-01-2020 12:52 AM
    The 2nd one above is Google/Android Messages app

The 3rd one (The one you are using) is Samsung's Messages app
    02-01-2020 01:19 AM
    Thanks. Looking through the Google Play store, it would seem there is an exact visual match on that 3rd icon with the 'Handcent' app. Is the Samsung default messages app a re-brand of this or are they playing fast / loose with the app icon here?

What Messenger app am I using on my Samsung S10?-handcent.jpg

I switched to the Google Messages app but had to switch back to the Samsung Messages app after just 5 minutes; the text size on the Google app cannot be resized, which is a deal-breaker for me.
    02-01-2020 01:55 AM