Read receipts on Galaxy S10+

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Are read receipts on Samsung messages accurate? If someone deletes your message without reading it is it possible to give a false 'read' receipt? Does the actual message have to be opened to gain a 'read' receipt? If the notification is cleared when it pops up does this generate a 'read' receipt, rather than actually viewing the whole text message in the app?
Thanks

blue snowman

Feb 18, 2020
Visit site
Read receipts - Galaxy S10+

Are read receipts on Samsung messages accurate? If someone deletes your message without reading it is it possible to give a false 'read' receipt? Does the actual message have to be opened to gain a 'read' receipt? If the notification is cleared when it pops up does this generate a 'read' receipt, rather than actually viewing the whole text message in the app?
Thanks

How do I test this myself Galactic Zoo?

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Re: Read receipts - Galaxy S10+

Get someone to send you a message with read receipt request on their phone, when you get it the message just delete it and ask the person to send you the message what happened

blue snowman

Feb 18, 2020
Visit site

I had thought of that, I thought you meant I could try myself with my own phone texting myself - I tried that and it didn't show anything. I have a dual sim too (personal and work) and tried doing it that way round but again didn't seem to have any type of chat conversation (blue) as delivered etc. Will get on this with a friend texting me using their android device! All the messages that I send to a particular number (an old friend) all show as 'read' but when I saw them recently they said they were not reading my messages - so I was confused as this would not be the case if they are all marked as 'read'. Anyhow... will need to experiment myself for any future confusion! Thanks

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I've found those notices to be unreliable in general and don't even bother paying attention to them. I'll often send a text and get a reply without even getting a delivery receipt.

blue snowman

Feb 18, 2020
Visit site
I agree Mustang7757, I think they would remain as 'delivered' if not actually going in and seeing the thread! Even if deleted as a full conversation from list of contacts in the app I think it would remain as 'delivered'. It makes me think that when someone says they haven't read messages (yet it shows as 'read') they have in fact read them and then deleted them perhaps!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree Mustang7757, I think they would remain as 'delivered' if not actually going in and seeing the thread! Even if deleted as a full conversation from list of contacts in the app I think it would remain as 'delivered'. It makes me think that when someone says they haven't read messages (yet it shows as 'read') they have in fact read them and then deleted them perhaps!
Yes I would agree there .

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It makes me think that when someone says they haven't read messages (yet it shows as 'read') they have in fact read them and then deleted them perhaps!

Or they could just be busy, glanced at it to remove the notice, then got distracted or forgot about it with whatever else they have going on. I wouldn't read so much in to the situation. If it's that important that someone needs to know and respond to you, why not call them?

blue snowman

Feb 18, 2020
Visit site
Yup, sometimes someone doesn't want to talk though! It's one of those types of 'situations'... Awkward! Thanks for all your comments. I will probably never know. I am just the curious sherlock holmes type and like to 'know'!

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Or they could just be busy, glanced at it to remove the notice, then got distracted or forgot about it with whatever else they have going on. I wouldn't read so much in to the situation. If it's that important that someone needs to know and respond to you, why not call them?
You can talk on this thing too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae