Need Video app

Today1

Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
Anyone know of a video app that won't shut down when the screen goes black?

The app that comes with my G5 Plus seems to stop working once my screen turns off. It doesn't even save what video was recorded before the screen blacks out.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I was suspecting he might want this to be able to record people without being obvious with the turned on screen. As much as I think that would be a nice feature I don't think it is allowed to discuss this on this forum as it can be used for stealth recording, even for legit uses like recording harassment, as in some countries it is illegal to video record someone specific without their consent even if your are being attacked by the person you wanna record.

Today1

Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
I moved this from General News to General Help.

You're talking about a video camera app? So the screen actually times out even while you're shooting a video with the stock Camera app? That shouldn't happen. Does it also happen in Safe Mode? https://support.motorola.com/us/en/solution/ms116299
Yes, that's what happens with the stock Camera app. I didn't know there was a safe mode. I guess that shows my ignorance when it comes to phones.

BTW, Sorry I put it in the wrong spot.

If you are planning to use it for spying on people, I am afraid we cannot discuss that on this forum even if we wanted to.
I am not going to do anything illegal. There are several uses I would have for it including clipping on my shirt collar to record my fishing. I know guys use GoPro's and a chest harness to record things like reeling in a fish but I would rather not have to buy that stuff. There are video's of guys catching fish using their cell phone with no hands so I figure there must be a way to keep it recording.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How long does the screen stay on for before it automatically turns off? I believe there's still a filesize limit for the video file that gets created (4 GB), and so the duration of the video you can take will depend on the resolution you're filming in. Once you reach that limit, the camera app might stop recording, and then the phone will follow its screen timeout setting.

https://phandroid.com/2019/12/30/android-11-could-remove-4gb-video-recording-file-size-limit/

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
How long does the screen stay on for before it automatically turns off? I believe there's still a filesize limit for the video file that gets created (4 GB), and so the duration of the video you can take will depend on the resolution you're filming in. Once you reach that limit, the camera app might stop recording, and then the phone will follow its screen timeout setting.

https://phandroid.com/2019/12/30/android-11-could-remove-4gb-video-recording-file-size-limit/
I think the file size limit is only if you are using a FAT32 file system or any storage (internal storage) that can oy be accessed by MTP over USB.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But that would still be any current Android device (unless you're saying that the video filesize limit wouldn't apply to when it's saved by default to an SD card formatted as exFAT -- do you know if that works?).

Today1

Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the links guys.

I tried to record and watch how long it took before the screen turned off. I stopped the test after 21 minutes because it never turned off! They must have fixed the problem with an update. I guess I should have checked again before I bothered you guys. I just figured that was how the stock app was designed so I didn't expect a fix. It had to be an update because I didn't change anything. It was plugged into the charger so hopefully that didn't affect the outcome. It used to turn off after 1 minute.

The point you guys made about the 4GB file size limit got me thinking so I may run a test to see how long I can record and if there is a 4GB limit. If so hopefully it auto saves and I don't lose the video. Ideally it would auto save and start recording a new file but that may be asking a bit much ;-) Hopefully I can get a few hours out of the battery as that's about all the longer we usually fish.

Today1

Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
I just ran a test and I got 31 minutes & 24 seconds before the app shut down, but at least this time it auto saved. It didn't last as long as I had hoped (file was 4.1GB) and it didn't continue to record to a new file but at least it is recording more than a minute.:)

4.1GB must be the max for Android 8.1

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yep, that makes sense. It's never been clear to me why the 4 GB video filesize limit has remained -- it might be some legacy code, back when the internal storage filesystem was FAT32. That article I previously shared suggests that the filesize limit will finally go away in Android 11.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That would make sense, albeit indirectly -- has Google ever cited that as the reason, as far as you know?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, I mean is that the reason they limit the size of a video file to be 4 GB? I'm pretty sure there are other types files that can be larger on Internal Storage, but I can see why Google would limit video files to 4 GB, since they're more likely to be transferred via MTP.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
No, I mean is that the reason they limit the size of a video file to be 4 GB? I'm pretty sure there are other types files that can be larger on Internal Storage, but I can see why Google would limit video files to 4 GB, since they're more likely to be transferred via MTP.
What is the point of the file if you cannot copy it from your device especially if you don't have an SD card and/or your phone lacks an SD slot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969