I attached my Samsung phone using USB cable to my PC, I cut and paste the photo from my Samsung phone folder to my PC. I have edited the photo from my PC and messed up, so I want to have the original photo again.

How to recover the photo in my Android phone?

Thanks.
    03-30-2020 10:30 PM
    Hi, are they still in my files dcim?
    03-30-2020 11:10 PM
    Hi, are they still in my files dcim?
    No
    03-30-2020 11:16 PM
    That's the folder you copy and paste ?
    03-30-2020 11:17 PM
    I am wondering if there is any recovery software that can recover files inside my phone? (I mean it was cut (in phone) and paste (in pc) a few days ago maybe can do a uncut/undelete)
    03-30-2020 11:17 PM
    I am wondering if there is any recovery software that can recover files inside my phone? (I mean it was cut (in phone) and paste (in pc) a few days ago maybe can do a uncut/undelete)
    Let's see what happened first before we jump to other things like recovery software . Do you have Google photos sync with your gallery? And do you have Samsung Samsung cloud on and sync?
    acsurfer likes this.
    03-30-2020 11:20 PM
    Let's see what happened first before we jump to other things like recovery software . Do you have Google photos sync with your gallery? And do you have Samsung Samsung cloud on and sync?
    I use mostly default settings in my Note8. I did not setup google photos to sync, I view photos using the default samsung gallery. No Samsung cloud. I did not create Samsung Account.

I have google account [backup my data] is switched on.
    03-30-2020 11:26 PM
    That's the folder you copy and paste ?
    Yes. Cut from Phone\DCIM\Camera folder and paste into PC
    03-30-2020 11:34 PM
    I use mostly default settings in my Note8. I did not setup google photos to sync, I view photos using the default samsung gallery. No Samsung cloud. I did not create Samsung Account.

I have google account [backup my data] is switched on.
    Ouch that's going be tough , if something happened by that transfer to computer , its going be very tough to get them back without some serious knowledge how to extract things that been deleted and root . Even that's not guaranteed.
    03-30-2020 11:34 PM
    Did you use a program to edit those pictures on PC?
    03-30-2020 11:58 PM
    Did you use a program to edit those pictures on PC?
    I used paint.net added a thick line that covered an area and saved it. I want to undo the thick line but unable to do so.
    03-31-2020 12:04 AM
    I used paint.net added a thick line that covered an area and saved it. I want to undo the thick line but unable to do so.
    There should be something to reverse it in the program or should of saved the orginal in its folder maybe ?
    03-31-2020 12:11 AM
    There should be something to reverse it in the program or should of saved the orginal in its folder maybe ?
    No. I google and did not find any way to reverse it. After saving it would be like the line is painted over it permanently.
    03-31-2020 12:49 AM
    I'm not familiar with those programs on computer , maybe some other members can chime in here .
    03-31-2020 12:52 AM
    Is your DCIM folder on the device or an SD? If it's on an SD Recuvva should be able to recover it by downloading the program on your PC and connecting your device to your PC as readable memory or with a card reader. If it was internal memory, I'm not sure if it will work, but Recuvva is freeware and it couldn't hurt to try. In the meantime, if you can avoid it, I wouldn't take anymore pics or videos or if you can't avoid it, change the save location to whichever you aren't using. Internal if you're using external, external if you're using internal.

I've had about 87% success rate with Recuvva. The one time I needed something and it didn't work for me I was able to Google "programs like recuvva" and found a list of about 10 other programs and one of those worked for me. I'd be wherry of paying for a program that says it can recover from devices without checking reviews from sources that didn't include links to or ads for the same app. Remember reviews can be faked.
    acsurfer likes this.
    03-31-2020 02:20 AM
    My DCIM folder is on the device, not SD, no SD card in phone. I just tried Recuva but it cannot detect the my phone, My PC is able to see note8 but Recuva is unable to see my note8 as a drive (screenshot https://i.imgur.com/rw2ewpe.png ), any idea how to let recuva see my note8?
    03-31-2020 03:40 AM
    What occurs when you tick the box circled?
    acsurfer likes this.
    03-31-2020 08:29 AM
    The others are doing a good job trying to help you recover the lost photo and there's nothing else I could offer on that front. Even if you can't recover the photo, here's some tips for future reference.

Never cut and paste, as that removes the original file and can lead to permanent data loss if the transfer has a glitch. It's best to copy and paste, then delete the original if you wish once you verified the transfer went through ok. When editing, don't simply save the file, as that overwrites the original. Use the "save as" function and save it to a different folder to keep it isolated (for lack of a better term) while you work on it. This leaves the original file intact.

If you do a lot of editing, look for software that allows you to also save the project. Photoshop does this, but I'm not sure of others off the top of my head. I think GIMP does too (and is free). This lets you work on an image in multiple sessions, but also allows you to undo your work later if needed.

Good luck!
    acsurfer likes this.
    03-31-2020 09:59 AM
    after clicking [on my media card or ipad] https://i.imgur.com/XV9QJPQ.png i clicked start and i see this https://i.imgur.com/R1CWVhG.png i clicked switch to advanced mode and i see this https://i.imgur.com/bPS7n1R.png
    03-31-2020 07:25 PM
    What occurs when you tick the box circled? [IMG=540x1003]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200331/82d170ef8a5584460a6440cf212926b8.jpg[/url]
    It does not work, no drives were scanned, after clicking [on my media card or ipad] https://i.imgur.com/XV9QJPQ.png i clicked start and i see this https://i.imgur.com/R1CWVhG.png i clicked switch to advanced mode and i see this https://i.imgur.com/bPS7n1R.png
    03-31-2020 07:25 PM
    It seems that you successfully cut the files, that others have advised in the future to copy and paste and do backups.
    You can try one other file finding app, Data Size Explorer, from the Playstore. Inspect the blocks after running internal and external scans.
    Good luck
    03-31-2020 08:05 PM
    No recovery program stands a chance of working without you rooting the phone. Your photo is gone.
    04-01-2020 07:37 AM
    No recovery program stands a chance of working without you rooting the phone. Your photo is gone.
    I did not root my phone. Do you mean if I root my phone now I stand a chance of restoring the photo? What are the steps to do? Thanks
    04-01-2020 08:15 AM
    There is a slim chance but rooting has a number of disadvantages. You don't mention which model Samsung you have so try a Google search of "how to root Samsung xxx" with xxx being the model number. Also research rooting to check out what to expect. Be aware rooting will void any warranty you may have
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-01-2020 10:09 AM
    Also, the process of rooting the phone AFTER the photo was deleted may overwrite the file space used by the photo leaving you nothing to recover.
    VidJunky likes this.
    04-01-2020 09:18 PM