Multiple Cameras for higher Megapixel ?

ReprobusR

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
The Galaxy S20+ has a triple camera as most phones do although it is 12MP, do all the cameras work simultaneously making the final image roughly a 36MP image or is the image taken only at 12MP ? In other words, they need three cameras to do what my current phone can do with one camera at 21MP ?

As well is it possible to record 4K video uncompressed to an SD card, I realize that you may not be able to record long videos but short up to 10 minutes; that goes for most phones ?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The Galaxy S20+ has a triple camera as most phones do although it is 12MP, do all the cameras work simultaneously making the final image roughly a 36MP image or is the image taken only at 12MP ? In other words, they need three cameras to do what my current phone can do with one camera at 21MP ?

As well is it possible to record 4K video uncompressed to an SD card, I realize that you may not be able to record long videos but short up to 10 minutes; that goes for most phones ?
The different cameras are all independent and different focal angles.

The ability to record 4K would depend on the speed of the memory card.

ReprobusR

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
I assume all the cameras work together combined to make up the total megapixel resolution ? I understand the memory card speed, what I want is uncompressed.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I assume all the cameras work together combined to make up the total megapixel resolution ? I understand the memory card speed, what I want is uncompressed.
No the cameras don't combine. They each have a different purpose. Superwide, Wide and telephoto.

ReprobusR

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Therefore the S20+ only has a 12MP camera; uGghhh. My current phone has a single camera at 21MP is there no phone with a single high MP camera ?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Therefore the S20+ only has a 12MP camera; uGghhh. My current phone has a single camera at 21MP is there no phone with a single high MP camera ?
Some phones have much higher resolution, but then use pixel binning to convert to a lower resolution, but higher quality photo. Pixel count isn't the only quality measurement of a camera, and 12MP is fine for the majority of photos anyway.