Home Android Central Q&A > General Help and How To

How do you reply to text messages from the lock screen on android pie?

Asked: Apr 18 2020 | 6:53 pm EDT 2861 Views 11 Answers View Best Answer

I use to be able to text messages and Facebook messages from the lock screen and I vaguely remember some option that I set a while back to do such. I reset my phone a couple days ago and now it wants me to unlock my phone everytime I try to reply. Would be a big help if someone can direct me to that option, it's frustrating having to unlock my phone everytime. Thanks in advance.

Phones updated
Using Moto z2 force

Best Answer

Apr 19 2020 | 10:09 am EDT Scott337

On my Z4 that option is in the Moto App > Moto Display > Peek Display. Peek Display is what enables "interact with notifications....". I know the Moto App changed a little between the Z2 & Z4 but I had the same functionality on my Z2 Force.

More Answers

Apr 18 2020 | 8:44 pm EDT mustang7757

Check in settings under lock screen anything to enable there ?

Apr 19 2020 | 9:49 am EDT methodman89

I don't recall being able to reply with the screen locked, only adjustable to be able to view the entire message while locked. Good luck

Apr 19 2020 | 10:02 am EDT Scott337

I use to be able to text messages and Facebook messages from the lock screen and I vaguely remember some option that I set a while back to do such. I reset my phone a couple days ago and now it wants me to unlock my phone everytime I try to reply. Would be a big help if someone can direct me to that option, it's frustrating having to unlock my phone everytime. Thanks in advance.

Phones updated
Using Moto z2 force
Check the Moto App. I think the Reply From Lockscreen option is in the Moto App. I'll try to grab one of my Z phones and find it.

Apr 19 2020 | 10:11 am EDT mustang7757

On my Z4 that option is in the Moto App > Moto Display > Peek Display. Peek Display is what enables "interact with notifications....". I know the Moto App changed a little between the Z2 & Z4 but I had the same functionality on my Z2 Force.
Nothing under lock screen?

Apr 19 2020 | 10:15 am EDT Scott337

Nothing under lock screen?
Just the option to show alerts and notifications on the lockscreen.

Apr 19 2020 | 10:21 am EDT mustang7757

Just the option to show alerts and notifications on the lockscreen.
Gotcha thanks

Apr 19 2020 | 1:04 pm EDT B. Diddy

It would seem to be a significant security risk if you could respond to a text from a screen that's locked by a PIN, password, or pattern. If you turn off security completely and only have it set to swipe to unlock, are you able to reply to messages on the lockscreen then?

Apr 21 2020 | 12:33 am EDT Kevin574

I appreciate all the reply's. I guess I thought I'd get an email when I got a reply, maybe they were getting filtered or something. Everyone is awesome! The Moto app was the ticket, it is under peek display and to turn off safe reply. Is there a way to select who got the right answer on this thread?

Apr 21 2020 | 12:37 am EDT Kevin574

I'm not that worried about people seeing my texts or even if it got "hacked". Everything that's sensitive is encrypted and required a pass. Moto uses a different type of lock screen that isn't in the main system settings. Kind of aggravating but oh well. Thanks for the reply.

Apr 21 2020 | 12:49 am EDT B. Diddy

I appreciate all the reply's. I guess I thought I'd get an email when I got a reply, maybe they were getting filtered or something. Everyone is awesome! The Moto app was the ticket, it is under peek display and to turn off safe reply. Is there a way to select who got the right answer on this thread?
Glad you got the solution! I tagged the right answer.