Need help troubleshooting signal issues beyond what Service Provider will provide..

kinar

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
TL;DR; Visible wireless has told me my phone is bad. Prior to that, TotalWireless told me they "have tried everything they can do". Is the phone really dead?

Full Story (it feels like a nightmare you only hear about happening):
I had been with TotalWireless for about 3.5 years and happy with the service. I have two phones on the service. Until about 3 months ago I had always used their cheap phones (mostly the Galaxy J7 Crown). Then I ran my phone through the washing machine and decided to try a cheap-ish upgrade. I bought a pre-owned Galaxy S8 from ebay. TW sent me a BYOD sim and everything activated and worked fine.

A month ago after this has been working for a couple months and happy with the service, I decided to upgrade my other phone as well. Same deal but different seller on ebay. However, this time, the phone didn't activate properly with the BYOD sim they sent me. After spending a couple hours with their online (chat) support, they told me I would get a call from another department in 30mins to continue. I've later found out that was a complete lie. There was never a callback scheduled and the department that was supposed to be calling me back doesn't exist at TW support (which is likely some outsorced/shared support service center).

Things we tried (terminology may not be accurate):
re-provisioning
reset network settings
factory reset (it was a brand new to me phone afterall, nothing to lose)
change APN settings - didn't work - changed them back.
There were also countless times that they "did something on their end" and had me restart/remove & reinsert sim/etc.

Anyway, a couple hours later, I call them from my working phone to try and get the non-working one working. After trying a couple things that I had already done with the online chat and obviously following the same script, I asked the agent if we could skip this part due tot the circumstances. She got snippy with me and said "I'm transferring you to my manager because you refuse to do the steps". I tried to explain that I was simply asking if it was possible but I decided I was happy to speak to a manager anyway after the whole non-existent callback situation. The manager tried a couple things and then put me on mute (there was no music) to "research something". 15mins I was still muted and I tried getting his attention but I suspected he got distracted doing something else and wasn't actually there anymore. Anyway, as you might expect, he never returned and hung up on me eventually. Here's the kicker, when I tried to call back (immediately), I got a message saying my phone was not connected to the network. Rage ensues.

After 15mins to calm down, I gather both phones and get back in chat support. A wonderful agent very quickly verifies that the "manager" made a mistake and sent an update to my working phone instead of the non-working one. She was able to get both phones working (or so I thought) in about 20mins. I was able to call and text from both phones just fine. Happy, and sick of dealing with it, I relaxed.

But this story isn't over....not by a long shot. Next the quarantine happened. Been stuck at home on WIFI so I never noticed that my mobile data speeds are literally dialup. fast.com measures in Kbps and never above 100. This makes it impossible to use my phone outside my house which pretty much defeats the purpose for having a phone. My son likes to play PoGo and when we go for walks, I would tether his non-service phone to mine so he can play. That is no longer possible.

So back to support I go. After several hours again on chat (this time troubleshooting my once working fine but now barely limping along phone) I get the same "we will call you back line". Knowing there is no callback coming but sick of dealing with it that day, I called back the next day. Another couple hours and I can tell the tech is exasperated. He obviously can't fix the issue. I have gone through everything listed above that we did last time trying to fix the other phone. He actually stops trying. He tells me he doesn't know what to do? I ask if I need to switch providers and he tells me he can't confirm that but he can't fix my phone.

OK. So the switch to another provider search starts. I'm assuming at this point that the problem is with TW since I have two phones with the same issue starting at the same time and one of which was working fine for a couple months prior. After evaluating everything, I settle on Visible (another Verizon MVNO). I signup online, they mail me a BYOD sim, activate and nothing. It won't even connect to the mobile network.

Ok, off to their online support. Let me tell you, their support is incredible. All of the stuff that took hours with TW support took a matter of minutes with Visible. They are friendly and responsive, it's amazing. I'm actually enjoying talking to their support. Alas, they couldn't fix it. They ask for 24hrs to research. I happily oblige and give them 48hrs (still stuck at home on WIFI so not a huge inconvenience) and get back in touch with them. Unfortunately, when I get back they tell me that their highest tier of support has reviewed the account and said the service is working and that my phone is the problem.

After chatting for a bit, their best guess is that an android update or a samsung update is what broke the phones. Not gonna lie, it's possible. We do always do the updates when prompted and there was a recent update to both phones but I don't know if it was before or after the problem started.

I am a technical person. I am VERY PC savy (both hardware and software) but I've never delved into phones/android because until now, I've never had a problem with them that I really needed to troubleshoot. I tried searching online a bit but without knowing the terminology of what I want to do, I feel like I'm so far behind the curve that I can't find the starting point and I don't really have months to delve in and learn everything like I want to. I obviously don't have a warranty to worry about nor do I have any data left on the phone to worry about. I'm ok with flashing a custom ROM but I don't know which one. Or rolling back to an older version of android (currently running 9) but I'm not sure if that's the right choice either.

I've got a Galaxy S8 blank slate here that I just want to work and I'm hoping you guys can help. Where do I start?

TIA

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What's the exact model number of your phone? This may be important, since certain phone variants might not support the network bands of the carrier you want to use.

kinar

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the attention and sorry for the late reply.

Exact model number of the phone on Visible is SM-G950U1
The other phone (the one still on TW) is SM-G950U

How would I go about looking up the information you are referencing? Google doesn't seem to be much help but I also don't know exactly what to search for either.
NVM. Using the actual model number plus "network bands" seems to have found the info I was looking for.

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carr...-samsung-dream/verizon-wireless-united-states

To me, it looks like the device should be compatible assuming that Verizon is not different than the Verizon MVNOs?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That model number doesn't seem quite right . SM-G950 is the S8, and variants typically have a letter at the end. Are you looking in Settings>About Phone​?

kinar

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I must have my forums settings messed up, I keep missing the replies here.

Does it populate a APN?
Have you tried another sim in the phone?

I have tried a lot of APN settings. Both with guidance of TW (before switching) and then Visible's support and settings (that should work) I've found online.

Current status is if I reset the network settings, the phone auto populates with a list of hundreds of different APN but none of the select automatically. If I create a new one with the settings Visible's support says to use (just VZWINTERNET but no other settings changed) then all the others disappear as soon as I click save until I reset the network settings and then theh come back. I've tried just selecting various ones of those but I really dont know what to look for there or if any specific ones are the ones I should be trying.

Well, technically I've tried two different SIMs. One for TW (which worked fine until their support tech accidentally sent an update to the phone that was meant for the other phone). The other is the one Visible sent me when I activated which has never worked at all.

Hmm, that should work. Try reinstalling the stock firmware using Smart Switch: https://wccftech.com/how-to-install-...-smart-switch/

I'll try this now.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I must have my forums settings messed up, I keep missing the replies here.

I have tried a lot of APN settings. Both with guidance of TW (before switching) and then Visible's support and settings (that should work) I've found online.

Current status is if I reset the network settings, the phone auto populates with a list of hundreds of different APN but none of the select automatically. If I create a new one with the settings Visible's support says to use (just VZWINTERNET but no other settings changed) then all the others disappear as soon as I click save until I reset the network settings and then theh come back. I've tried just selecting various ones of those but I really dont know what to look for there or if any specific ones are the ones I should be trying.

Well, technically I've tried two different SIMs. One for TW (which worked fine until their support tech accidentally sent an update to the phone that was meant for the other phone). The other is the one Visible sent me when I activated which has never worked at all.

I'll try this now.
I haven't seen putting a sim give lot of options on APN , usually the sim you put automatically puts just the one for its provisions.

kinar

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen putting a sim give lot of options on APN , usually the sim you put automatically puts just the one for its provisions.
With TotalWireless it was as you describe. This behavior is new since the switch to Visible but their support seems to think it's normal.

Samsung Smart Switch to reinstall stock firmware
I can't figure out how to make this work. Following the guide, everything seems to work with the app except the firmware installation. I can do backups, it shows the correct phone, I even tried reinstalling the device drivers for the "more menu" But the Emergency Software Recovery screen never populates (see attachment). Everything I've found online seems to think that the box should populate with my phone to select before clicking ok.
Annotation 2020-04-30 210725.png

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
With TotalWireless it was as you describe. This behavior is new since the switch to Visible but their support seems to think it's normal.

I can't figure out how to make this work. Following the guide, everything seems to work with the app except the firmware installation. I can do backups, it shows the correct phone, I even tried reinstalling the device drivers for the "more menu" But the Emergency Software Recovery screen never populates (see attachment). Everything I've found online seems to think that the box should populate with my phone to select before clicking ok.
View attachment 319908
Go to top corner where it says more> then tap preferences >updates> check the box where you number is and above it will show updates when they are available for your device

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Also with visible sim right next to APN 3 dots upper corner should say reset APN ? Do that with that sim in

kinar

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
This doesn't seem to help. The instructions I found for download mode actually boot into safe mode on an S8 but SmartSwitch refuses to work in this mode because you cant access the smartswitch app on the phone.

kinar

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Go to top corner where it says more> then tap preferences >updates> check the box where you number is and above it will show updates when they are available for your device
Yes, every indication I have anywhere in the smartswitch app is telling me that the phone is up to date and there is nothing I can install.

Also with visible sim right next to APN 3 dots upper corner should say reset APN ? Do that with that sim in
That resets it back to the full list of APNs but none are automatically selected.Screenshot_20200501-072503_Settings[1].jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This doesn't seem to help. The instructions I found for download mode actually boot into safe mode on an S8 but SmartSwitch refuses to work in this mode because you cant access the smartswitch app on the phone.
Smart switch only works when phone on , download mode is for flashing in odin
Yes, every indication I have anywhere in the smartswitch app is telling me that the phone is up to date and there is nothing I can install.

That resets it back to the full list of APNs but none are automatically selected.View attachment 319920
So none of those work when you select?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance