Why in the world am I moving to iPhone

blak8830

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I've always hated Apple and their closed, expensive ecosystem, so why in the world am I moving to iPhone?
I've used Blackberries and Android phones for pretty nearly 20 years - 5 different Android phones since 2012, when I gave up on Blackberry, as they failed to keep up with the times. I've never owned a "flagship", and most likely never will. (unless I win one or am gifted one.....)
But each of the manufacturers of the Android phones I've owned have failed to live up to their "promise" to update
the phone for 2 or more years. And each phone got replaced for either more storage or because it started not
accepting calls or getting texts. I've still got 4 of the 5 phones, and try to keep 3 of them up to date, thanks to the
developers over at xda. But even custom ROMs still sometimes flake out for no apparent reason.
I originally picked up a used iPhone 5s because there was an app my wife wanted that was only available on iPhone.
She still had a flip phone and didn't want to use the iPhone. Then the flip died, and to speed availability, I just moved
her SIM to the iPhone. She has issues with touch screens, but has kept using that 7 year old phone, and it just works.
Along the way, I bought a used ipad mini 2 and an iPhone 6s, so I could be up to speed, and try to answer her
questions.
They're 7 and 5 years old, respectively, and they still just work.
Yes the iPhone battery life sucks, compared to my Motorola phones, but it still. just. works. -
And it runs all the Google apps I need. And it's 5 years old, and still getting official updates.
And it still. just. works.
I still don't like how overpriced most phones seem to be (to me), as the most I've ever spent was $200, but could
probably consider spending the $400 for the new iPhone SE, expecting it to still just work and be getting updated in 2025 and beyond.
That's why.

Last edited:

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
The iPhone SE 2020 battery is fine for now but will definitely need replacement in about two years unless you want to carry around a battery pack/case everywhere.

There's only so much that a 1820mAh battery can get you.

And terrible battery life doesn't mean "it just works" to me.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The S7 from Samsung received official security patches for 4 years. It got the Feb 2020 patch last I checked.

My Tab 4 from 2014 also still just works. With decent battery life as well. Also since it came from an age before Android security updates though, obviously it doesn't get anymore. But the S7 above is newer and shows promise for newer devices and updates.

As for updates from Apple, they need to because otherwise it will stop working. An Android that doesn't get official updates still work because it's not centralized. It can update the browser to work with the latest protocols and security certificates separate from the OS. Grab an Android from 2013 and you can still get the latest update of a wrb browser like Chrome, Firefox, or Edge. On Apple, all browsers are reskinned Safari which is a core app, which means it can't be updated separately from the OS. If Apple didn't update the OS beyond 2 years, that means the mail app, the web browsers and other stuff that get server side patching may stop working.

It's an entirely different OS with entirely different approaches. But hey, you know, people don't really get it and only understand 'bigger OS number yey'.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I have several old androids and iphones, that just work as well. My iphone 7 and 8 plus work and yes still recieve os updates and are great iphones. My Note 5, S6 edge plus, LG Stylo 2, Galaxy tab A w spen (2016), Galaxy tab E (2015), Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 (2014) and even my budget RCA Galileo 11inch 2015) all still work fine. They don't get security updates or android os updates, however the beauty of android is that:

1. you can download an antivirus/malware security app to keep a look on things
2. like the previous poster stated, chrome updates to current security.
3. playstore apps are all scanned for security by google and each individual app updates frequently to the latest updates and security.

Alot is made about not getting updates, which google and all the oem manufactures should do better, I am happy Samsung supported th s7 edge for 4yrs!! I think that's going to continue to improve in the future. I expect my S20 Ultra to recieve at least 2 OS updates and security updates through 2024. That's not bad. Especially considering my aformentioned points on app updates, chrome updates, and security/anti-virus apps.

Androids also have second lives! My tab 3 has no battery life left and not worth replacing, so it's now continuously plugged in and is my digital portrait display on my desk at work. My s6 edge is my dedicated gameroom entertainment center (all things are streamed from it) to my chromecast on my tv and to my chromecast audio to my stereo. My RCA Galileo is my Infotainment center mounted in my car. My LG Stylo 2 is my security screen, constantly running my security camera feeds so I can glance at it and look outside to check on the kids or whatever is going on etc... Phones no matter the brand are just good enough now that they can outlast their updates and thrive whether they are android or apple.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
OP: I feel you. Goggle maps suck; Apple runs with Tom-Tom very well and exponentially more stable/usable than Gmaps. Unbelievable, and Gmap updates always make it worse; the factory load has the least crapware.
Apple looks horrible and navigation is cumbersome, but is rock solid reliable.
So what's Android do? Tries to emulate like poor clumsy Apple Jane.
On Android it got even worse when Adroid Q adopted some of Apple's security protocols that were unneeded and extreme resource hogs.

Google's major failing is they can't leave a near perfect software product alone; they'll get to it's zenith then keep screwing around with it until it's a mess in the name of change. The same lame MS business model of screw the user (especially developers), make them relearn everything and force it down their throats.
GMail, GMags, Picasso used to work very well... and were easy to look at and navigate.
Goggle ditched Picasso entirely and trashed my 2 websites is the process; zero legacy support and no upgrade path.
No I'm not redoing them, many hours lost because of Goggle. To hell with Goggle; I will never invest in them like that again. I like Android but Goggle is poisoned by it's liberal, big sister, I know what's best for you, it's a new day let's change everything mind set.
Goggle is repeating many of MS's consumer atrocities... with flare.

You shouldn't have to load custom ROMs to keep a phone alive in it's latter years but the plan is to forcefully "entice" you to buy a new Android.
At least that's the behavior I've seen from AT&T and their partner Samsung, yes the -are- partners; don't let them lie to you and tell you otherwise. AT&T actively participates in update OS graphic designs and more. By doing so they can make the "upgrade" unpleasant to use and navigate.
Saw it on my S4 Active, they completely trashed it on the Marshmallow OS load, deliberately.

Yes I could have filed an FTC complaint but the FTC needs to reach a threshold level of complaints to act. Companies gamble on inept consumers and low numbers on FTC complaints being filed.
AT&T techs will tell the graphics had to be changed because the hardware won't support the newer graphics like on the Edge at that time. The Edge running on Marshmallow had the old Kitkat line graphics; they lied.
These ****s are as bad as a gamey used car salesman.

If you can still use an Apple as well as you could when you bought it, value your dollar, don't need the latest junk, and take good care of your phone, why should you be forced to "upgrade"?
No one likes a big sister that's a kleptomaniac, no one needs that at all.
Ever since the days of bag phones these cell companies have been trying to extract as much profit as possible to the disadvantage of its customers.

Really AT&T and their wittle Samsung partner?
I SEE you.

Last edited:

blak8830

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Another reason I'm more inclined towards i-things is that they will supposedly work directly with hearing aids with nothing else needed. I hope my next pair of aids this year can be one of those types. I think it was only in about the last year or so, that one or two hearing aid companies claim to work using standard bluetooth protocols with Android phones.. And they claim only a few higher end phones will work, from what I've seen.
As far as things that just still work - yes, my 2012 vintage LG Escape might still work as a phone, but it was abandoned by AT&T and LG within six months or so of launch. I abandoned it when the contract ran out. The last "official" update for my 2012 Nexus 7 tablet was Lollipop, and that version made it virtually unusable. Fortunately, various developers still support that tablet with security updates today. And it still works. So far, with IOS, I've not had any apps force close, or need to be removed and reinstalled because Google updated Play Services without notice.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Another reason I'm more inclined towards i-things is that they will supposedly work directly with hearing aids with nothing else needed. I hope my next pair of aids this year can be one of those types. I think it was only in about the last year or so, that one or two hearing aid companies claim to work using standard bluetooth protocols with Android phones.. And they claim only a few higher end phones will work, from what I've seen.
As far as things that just still work - yes, my 2012 vintage LG Escape might still work as a phone, but it was abandoned by AT&T and LG within six months or so of launch. I abandoned it when the contract ran out. The last "official" update for my 2012 Nexus 7 tablet was Lollipop, and that version made it virtually unusable. Fortunately, various developers still support that tablet with security updates today. And it still works. So far, with IOS, I've not had any apps force close, or need to be removed and reinstalled because Google updated Play Services without notice.

The new Galaxy Buds Plus might be very useful for you.
Long battery life, lite weight, small, very comfortable, good range and they stay put with no effort from you at all.
I have the 1st gen Buds and after their most recent updates a day ago they sound great!

Yeah the time consuming 3rd party apps journey but the right ones are most likely there.
Poweramp for music, top shelf equalizer built it.
Samsang has ok sound adaptive features built in as well like adaptive sound for phone calls and such.

For what you want not sure I would lock into Apple, however Apple probably be far less trouble out of the box. If you don't want to play around.

I want it to do what I want, look how I want... Im willing, able, and will make the time to do so. For many, this approach isn't what they want. It took a good investment of time to get to where I'm at. Unlike Windows though I have never crashed and burned a Android OS :)

None rooted Androids are well protected against learning maniacs like me... lol at least 50 Xp-Pro, XPx64 kills to my name. Wipe, reclone OS drive in 40 minutes or so, restored. Much harder to do something this on an Android though:(
Regedits, and mobo embedded Raid controllers are hella fun... no regrets.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The new Galaxy Buds Plus might be very useful for you.
Long battery life, lite weight, small, very comfortable, good range and they stay put with no effort from you at all.
I have the 1st gen Buds and after their most recent updates a day ago they sound great!

Yeah the time consuming 3rd party apps journey but the right ones are most likely there.
Poweramp for music, top shelf equalizer built it.
Samsang has ok sound adaptive features built in as well like adaptive sound for phone calls and such.

For what you want not sure I would lock into Apple, however Apple probably be far less trouble out of the box. If you don't want to play around.

I want it to do what I want, look how I want... Im willing, able, and will make the time to do so. For many, this approach isn't what they want. It took a good investment of time to get to where I'm at. Unlike Windows though I have never crashed and burned a Android OS :)

None rooted Androids are well protected against learning maniacs like me... lol at least 50 Xp-Pro, XPx64 kills to my name. Wipe, reclone OS drive in 40 minutes or so, restored. Much harder to do something this on an Android though:(
Regedits, and mobo embedded Raid controllers are hella fun... no regrets.
The OP is talking about hearing aid compatibly, not which Bluetooth earbuds would work best.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hearing aids and Android aren't there yet except for OEM apps to control and adjust the hearing aids. With iPhone you can use them for everything including listening to music, however the battery drain on the hearing aids is extensive.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I hear what you are saying about iPhones. They work very smoothly, almost seemingly.

And users' wants and needs change - you do not have to rationalize it! If iPhone/Apple works for you and your wife, that's awesome!

I remember the iPhone 5's launch being super huge - I can understand why the 5S can still power on. It's a good device.

Enjoy!

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
The OP is talking about hearing aid compatibly, not which Bluetooth earbuds would work best.

Yeah I know... Proprietary systems like that tend to be more inflexible for ease of setup and dependability.
There's many options with Android apps; a lot of Combat Vets need hearing assist and use Android ie demand.
Worth digging into see what's available and better alternatives for different activities... if one has the wherewithal, time and patience to do so.

One obstacle to effectively using Android is there are so many hardware platforms and variants within those from each manufacturer.
Apples are very standardized; their strength and their weakness.

For Android, choose the hardware platform and a manufacturer variant that can support the software you want to use.
With Android that can be a steep learning curve.
Reward, getting exactly what -you- want.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I know... Proprietary systems like that tend to be more inflexible for ease of setup and dependability.
There's many options with Android apps; a lot of Combat Vets need hearing assist and use Android ie demand.
Worth digging into see what's available and better alternatives for different activities... if one has the wherewithal, time and patience to do so.

One obstacle to effectively using Android is there are so many hardware platforms and variants within those from each manufacturer.
Apples are very standardized; their strength and their weakness.

For Android, choose the hardware platform and a manufacturer variant that can support the software you want to use.
With Android that can be a steep learning curve.
Reward, getting exactly what -you- want.
It's simpler than that. The latest tech hearing aid devices are fully supported by iPhone and there are no issues with setup or dependability.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
It's simpler than that. The latest tech hearing aid devices are fully supported by iPhone and there are no issues with setup or dependability.

I can see why they choose Apple... worked for a company that did likewise for the same reasons.

I loathe Apple; it can't fulfill my primary needs or lusts at all.
Refuse to invest anymore time then I have already with it.
It was a real pain to use except for maps... which were excellent.

Goggle:"latest tech hearing aid devices are fully supported by Android"
There are new Android and emerging options on the table. They are device/OS specific.

Last edited:

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
But each of the manufacturers of the Android phones I've owned have failed to live up to their "promise" to update
the phone for 2 or more years.

Ditto... The exact same reasoning I might eventually take the plunge and buy an iPhone, which could be much sooner than later.

Think the SE 2020 is a good choice for those entering into the iOS space for the first time, or even those who've been away for some time. It's capable, very reasonably priced, and there's pretty much a guarantee it'll be supported for 4-5 years... Unlike the majority of Droids that leave one in limbo until you've gone full circle (2-years) only to find out support fell way short of expectations, or as promised.

Last edited:

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
As far as things that just still work - yes, my 2012 vintage LG Escape might still work as a phone, but it was abandoned by AT&T and LG within six months or so of launch. I abandoned it when the contract ran out. The last "official" update for my 2012 Nexus 7 tablet was Lollipop, and that version made it virtually unusable.

LOL... Yup own four Droids (Huawei's, LG, Motorola) all still waiting on Android 10. And my newest, an LG lunched in Nov 2019, has only receive a single update (security patch) in 6+ months. My Pixel 2 XL (months older than any of my other Droid) is the only one "complete" on the update front. One reason I've capped the amount I spend on a device as spending $$$$ doesn't assure that device will be any better supported than a $$ one.

P.S... And there's this trend w/Droids I'm noticing, maybe it's been there before but seems more prominent now. If you spend less ($$) it's quarterly security updates and 1-letter upgrade. Spend more ($$$$), monthly security updates and the same old 2-letter upgrades. Monthly are rarely as promised, in a lot of instances several months are skipped over the course. All comes down to each individual OEM, region, device variant.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I can see why they choose Apple... worked for a company that did likewise for the same reasons.

I loathe Apple; it can't fulfill my primary needs or lusts at all.
Refuse to invest anymore time then I have already with it.
It was a real pain to use except for maps... which were excellent.

Goggle:"latest tech hearing aid devices are fully supported by Android"
There are new Android and emerging options on the table. They are device/OS specific.
It's an empty promise.....Android does not support latest tech hearing aids or any hearing aids. There are apps that let you communicate with the aids for setting sound profiles, but nothing that allows you you to use the aids for phone calls or other listening habbits.

Last edited:

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
It's an empty promuse.....Android does not support latest tech hearing aids or any hearing aids. There are apps that let you communicate with the aids for setting sound profiles, but nothing that allows you you to use the aids for phone calls or other listening habbits.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...native-hearing-aid-support-android-gn-hearing

It gradually being implemented on some specific Android models running on Q
https://www.mobihealthnews.com/news...tream-audio-content-connected-hearing-devices

Here's one:
https://www.cochlear.com/us/en/home...d-processors/nucleus-smartphone-compatibility

That said a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush; go with a known working solution.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone SE 2020 battery is fine for now but will definitely need replacement in about two years unless you want to carry around a battery pack/case everywhere.

There's only so much that a 1820mAh battery can get you.

And terrible battery life doesn't mean "it just works" to me.

Then explain how the OP has a 5 and 7 year old iPhone and they still work. They don’t have 4000mAH batteries.