Is this the beginning of the end for Play Music?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's why I stopped serious XM satellite radio in my car. I couldn't dare pay for two music subscriptions monthly. YouTube music works fine it's a little bit more expensive, but it works in my car on my phone with my pixel buds etc etc
That's why I like YouTube Music. It's something I am able to use anywhere, not just in my car, and I don't need to hope something I like is currently on air, nor do I need to listen to any chatter from DJs.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That's why I like YouTube Music. It's something I am able to use anywhere, not just in my car, and I don't need to hope something I like is currently on air, nor do I need to listen to any chatter from DJs.
Yep yep, I completely agree with you! The problem with Spotify is the fact that even the radio stations from my favorite artist that they were recommending to me it would just keep on playing the same artist over and over again or songs I didn't want to listen to. Even when I hit the thumbs up button one of the thumbs down button predictions and Spotify stuff. Pandora's predictions work great. But the bit rate the audio quality is horrible. Which is the most infuriating thing in the world lol. Yes, YouTube music combines the best of both worlds You hit the thumbs up button and it'll actually give you more artists or more songs by that artist that you enjoy listening to. If you hit the thumbs down button and YouTube music it will instantaneously switch that song! l Spotify didn't really do that.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Ugh. That was the worst, wasn't it? You turn on your radio and hear endless, annoying banter.

skidaddytn

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Have they announced how they will shut down Google Play Music? I mean, obviously, the song storage servers will go away, but will they attempt to delete the installed app from your phone, or can you still use it in a limited fashion to play songs from your own local library on say an SD card?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Have they announced how they will shut down Google Play Music? I mean, obviously, the song storage servers will go away, but will they attempt to delete the installed app from your phone, or can you still use it in a limited fashion to play songs from your own local library on say an SD card?

Hmm, that's a good question. I don't think they can remove the app from your phone - that sounds too invasive - but maybe when you open Google Play Music, you'll get a message that will redirect you to YouTube.

I get those "will you switch now?" messages when I open GPM sometimes. And I thought at one point, I got a date as to when we'd be switching over. But I can't remember it now. I want to say it was sometime in September.

YouTube did state in that message that all of your songs will be transferred to YouTube Music, so I wonder if you would be able to use GPM in a limited way.

alanjr_uk

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I really wish they'd add sleep mode to YTM - I still use that from time to time with GPM. I see they have at least updated Google audio search results to point to YTM now, that only finally happened a month or so ago!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I really wish they'd add sleep mode to YTM - I still use that from time to time with GPM. I see they have at least updated Google audio search results to point to YTM now, that only finally happened a month or so ago!

Yeah, the transition has been really slow so far.

lilme08

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Have you downloaded the music you've purchased? Once I buy it, I own it, so I always download it to my PC to add to my local library. Then I don't have to worry about cloud availability.

Please let me know how this is done. I have purchased a lot of music from Google and want to download it to my PC, especially since I do not think I will be using Youtube Play. Thanks

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
So I don't know if any of you are having any the same issues, but I personally have found that without a YouTube Premium account, not only am I unable to stream my own music to my Smartspeaker, but I am also unable to stream any of my music to my car speakers via Bluetooth.

Personally I am getting more and more ticked off at Google for basically Forcing me into having to purchase a YouTube Premium subscription if I ever hope to listen to any of my music using anything else other than the built-in speakers on my phone

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So I don't know if any of you are having any the same issues, but I personally have found that without a YouTube Premium account, not only am I unable to stream my own music to my Smartspeaker, but I am also unable to stream any of my music to my car speakers via Bluetooth.

Personally I am getting more and more ticked off at Google for basically Forcing me into having to purchase a YouTube Premium subscription if I ever hope to listen to any of my music using anything else other than the built-in speakers on my phone
They do seem to screw things up a lot. I'm still upset that they bought Songza and blended it into Play Music. Killing play music just makes it even worse. I hope they dont kill off Waze in the future.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
They do seem to screw things up a lot. I'm still upset that they bought Songza and blended it into Play Music. Killing play music just makes it even worse. I hope they dont kill off Waze in the future.
Oh you know they're gonna kill Waze after they've incorporated all of its features. It's what they do. Well they don't always incorporate all of the features first.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh you know they're gonna kill Waze after they've incorporated all of its features. It's what they do. Well they don't always incorporate all of the features first.
If they blended the all the best features into Google Maps I wouldn't mind because I actually find that Maps is better at changing to less busy routes on the fly and it's map is less cartooney.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That's odd -- are you casting using Chromecast, or are you connecting via Bluetooth to the smart speaker? I've had no problems with streaming YT Music to my Google Home Max or Chromecast Audio.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
but I personally have found that without a YouTube Premium account, not only am I unable to stream my own music to my Smartspeaker,

I just tested to a Google Home Mini and Google Home Hub and was able to cast to both without a subscription. I can't ask Google Assistant to stream it, I don't think, but I manually started the cast from my phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan