Is this the beginning of the end for Play Music?

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
You're right, I should download it to my Chromebook. Unless it's already there. Still figuring out how it works.
How much storage does your Chromebook have? I thought they had pretty limited onboard storage. Downloading it is pretty straightforward from the GPM app and in the browser. Just go to the album in your library, and the dot menu for the album includes a download option.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm aware of that but when I did use it, the limitations didn't kill my experience. The premium version is only an additional 7.99 and believe there is a 3 month trial available.

It is a pretty decent service. I was just thinking about that limitation because I just installed Amazon Music on my daughter's iPhone so that she could use my Prime Music account, and she immediately complained about not being able to hear all the tracks of a particular album. Such a pain to get a decent music service on a device belonging to someone under 13 (and if you're telling the truth about age in their Google account). Can't use Google Play Music or YT Music, and have to get Spotify Premium just to use their very limited Spotify Kids selection. And no, I'm not going to subscribe to Apple Music.:p

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How much storage does your Chromebook have? I thought they had pretty limited onboard storage. Downloading it is pretty straightforward from the GPM app and in the browser. Just go to the album in your library, and the dot menu for the album includes a download option.

Earlier and/or cheaper Chromebooks have lower storage. But medium- and higher-end ones range as high as 128-256 GB. And most still have SD card slots.

Mr MnmlEngr

May 7, 2019
Visit site
Still haven't seen any sign of this purported capability to transfer my music from Google Play Music, so no.

Yes, I realize it's a rolling update, but then Google shouldn't have touted it until it was rolled out or until they were ready to turn on the switch for everyone at once.

There's Google disappointing us again with their half-assed marketing attempts.

They're never going to do a full up push. And it's not a marketing attempt. It's risk mitigation. They obviously test an update internally before pushing something out. But once it goes public, nuanced bugs could surface and break functionality. The slow roll out is a way for them to keep tabs on unexpected effects of the updates on its users and halt the update if something serious surfaces. This also prevents a bad update from affecting an entire user base.

This is software standard practice for a lot of organizations.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm okay with YouTube music if I could multitask in the background for free. again like I said, that's why I'm trying out Spotify for free and all those features for free. Otherwise, I love using Google software!

alanjr_uk

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Have they fixed the issue with YTM yet where any music you like there ends up influencing your YouTube suggestions too when watching videos? I found that really annoying before. Not been offered any migration option yet, not sure if it's USA-only so far?

alanjr_uk

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Agree, they probably see it as a feature but I find it really annoying - I wish they could just add a switch to give the user the option to switch it off! Listening to music on my phone is quite different to sitting watching YT videos on my TV!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
In all honesty, I'm just shocked that Google's actually stopping Google play music services this year at some point. I knew there were a lot of talks about it; I just never thought it would actually happen. Lol. I mean I know we're all going to have to adjust and what not, but yes, YouTube music isn't at where Google play music has always been at. We can all submit reviews and commentary to Google which I have done, but the fact is is that YouTube music doesn't have the features that Google play music has had.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Never been a fan of these Streaming services, whether it's Music or Videos.

Cell phones & plans are already expensive as it is, I don't need to add more to it.

This is why I love Amazon, I signed up for Prime savings and of course the shipping and them including both Music and Videos is a bonus.

Having said that while I do use Prime Videos from time to time, I rarely use Amazon Music. I guess it doesn't help, IMO today's music is ****!! Except for the G.O.A.T., EMINEM, majority of my library is 80's & 90's.

I do use Google Play Music to buy tracks from Google Rewards I collected.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Never been a fan of these Streaming services, whether it's Music or Videos.

Cell phones & plans are already expensive as it is, I don't need to add more to it.

This is why I love Amazon, I signed up for Prime savings and of course the shipping and them including both Music and Videos is a bonus.

Having said that while I do use Prime Videos from time to time, I rarely use Amazon Music. I guess it doesn't help, IMO today's music is ****!! Except for the G.O.A.T., EMINEM, majority of my library is 80's & 90's.

I do use Google Play Music to buy tracks from Google Rewards I collected.

With this lockdown and those "pick a song, tag a friend" challenges on Instagram Stories, I've come to the realization that current music is pretty bad.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Wait. How would that YouTube Music push you to iPhone?
I'm curious as well. Apple Music is not free for iOS. It's the same price as the Android version.

However, Apple Music is included for free with some Verizon accounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool