Is this the beginning of the end for Play Music?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
From Twitter: https://twitter.com/GooglePlayMusic/status/1260224803039928328

So, I haven't tried YouTube Music (YTM). I'm not sure if I want to, as at least in this thread: https://forums.androidcentral.com/android-10/979238-youtube-music.html YTM doesn't allow streaming in the background. If that is still the case, then fine. No more streaming for me, I'll reinstall PowerAmp, and have all my music on my device.

I guess another good question is, will buying music still happen through Google, or will that be killed off too?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I agree with you. I'm reading the article on 9to5 Google.com right now. The problem with YouTube music is that the free version doesn't allow you to stream music in the background and there are tons of ads which is pretty much a deal breaker. The other problem with YouTube music premium is it's 10 bucks a month That's expensive for monthly subscription. I'm not sure if YouTube music application has a digital equalizer built-in but Google play music does which makes songs sound better.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have YouTube Premium family for £17.99 a month for 5 or 6 accounts. I get YouTube Premium, YouTube Music and GPM included with that. So I think it is excellent value. I like GPM especially on my Google Home devices. But I am ok about moving to YT music if I can keep my music library in the cloud.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have YouTube Premium family for £17.99 a month for 5 or 6 accounts. I get YouTube Premium, YouTube Music and GPM included with that. So I think it is excellent value. I like GPM especially on my Google Home devices. But I am ok about moving to YT music if I can keep my music library in the cloud.
Yeah, I hear you. I mean if Google really shuts down their Google play music servers, I'm going to have to do a lot of research and see which streaming service I would want to use on my phone and on my Google Home. Lol.
Oh, no... I am OBSESSED with Google Play Music. This cannot be!
Yeah, unfortunately I've read quite a few blogs and articles in the past year and a half or so that said that Google wants to shut down the Google play music servers and just go to YouTube music. I don't understand why. I mean Google play music service has been around for years and years. As far as basic versus premium YouTube music subscriptions: 10 bucks a month gets you background listening and no ads and unlimited skips. I still think that's quite expensive even with my rewards points from the surveys. Hahaha I mean the other issue with YouTube music application that I have an issue with is there's no digital equalizer for sound quality within the application like there is in Google play music.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you currently have Google Play Music, then activate YouTube Music, does Google Play Music stop working?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
See, that's a great question as well?? I mean what I've also been wondering is when Google is officially ready to stop the Google play music service, if I try to start up music in the application, will it just not play or give me some kind of error 404 code or something? I mean I understand they want to transition all the users and functions to YouTube music... But if what if you want to still stay on the legacy Google play music?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you currently have Google Play Music, then activate YouTube Music, does Google Play Music stop working?

No, they both work fine for me. I have the GPM Family plan, and I just saw in my YTM app that it upgraded me to the YTM Family plan.

The other problem with YouTube music premium is it's 10 bucks a month

Same price as Spotify, though. If only I could transfer my music locker from GPM to Spotify (or in fact upload any music at all to Spotify), I'd cancel my GPM subscription. I'm also not crazy about Spotify's UI in terms of organization. There's no way to sort my favorite Artists alphabetically, which seems like a pretty basic feature.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
No, they both work fine for me. I have the GPM Family plan, and I just saw in my YTM app that it upgraded me to the YTM Family plan.

Same price as Spotify, though. If only I could transfer my music locker from GPM to Spotify (or in fact upload any music at all to Spotify), I'd cancel my GPM subscription. I'm also not crazy about Spotify's UI in terms of organization. There's no way to sort my favorite Artists alphabetically, which seems like a pretty basic feature.
Hey, I agree with you. However, I have used Spotify a little bit in the past and I will say this... Spotify is service has an equalizer built in to the application, and the free version allows quite a few skips and background playing on your phone And Google Home devices. The only thing in question is it's not a Google service so for all of us that are Googlers that's what we're talking about. Lol.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
See, that's a great question as well?? I mean what I've also been wondering is when Google is officially ready to stop the Google play music service, if I try to start up music in the application, will it just not play or give me some kind of error 404 code or something? I mean I understand they want to transition all the users and functions to YouTube music... But if what if you want to still stay on the legacy Google play music?

I suspect that at some point in the near future, it'll just shut down, and if you open GPM, it'll prompt or redirect you to the YTM app. It'll probably also update such that the user can uninstall it completely (since it's preinstalled on most phones).

I've noticed that Google has been improving YTM's interface significantly over the past year, so I would expect them to continue tweaking it based on feedback. So everyone, keep sending feedback!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I suspect that at some point in the near future, it'll just shut down, and if you open GPM, it'll prompt or redirect you to the YTM app. It'll probably also update such that the user can uninstall it completely (since it's preinstalled on most phones).

I've noticed that Google has been improving YTM's interface significantly over the past year, so I would expect them to continue tweaking it based on feedback. So everyone, keep sending feedback!
Well, yeah I mean if Google improves YouTube music's interface then of course more people will be inclined to use it. The only thing that I'm after is the equalizer within the application. And yes I can submit feedback if I actually had the application on my phone which I don't lol. As far as uninstalling Google play music's app on my phone in the future sure that'll have to happen if we can't use the app anymore.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Google has me - even if I don't want to use YouTube Music. Ad-Free YouTube is too valuable for me. Getting a music service out of it is just a bonus.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Google has me - even if I don't want to use YouTube Music. Ad-Free YouTube is too valuable for me. Getting a music service out of it is just a bonus.
How come I had to trust me I hear you! I'm not saying I would go over to Spotify. Honestly, I told you I'm a googler Google has me with all their services hahaha. I would probably try to use YouTube music again and go from there. I just don't want to pay for music I'm already on a really great deal that I paid for from serious XM satellite radio for my car as well lol. with that being said though, not to send too cheap but I don't need to pay for two separate services that's ridiculous

Haha, well comments officially submitted to Google! View attachment 320374

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I knew this would happen eventually. I'm not getting YTM. I still have some music on GPM . But most of my music is through Spotify now. I still have the bundle with Spotify / Hulu and together its around 10 dollars.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What will happen to the music I've payed for via the Play Store/Play Music, then?

and your uploads, purchases, added songs and albums, personal and subscribed playlists, likes and dislikes, curated stations and personal taste preferences will move right over.

Purchases will move.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
From Twitter: https://twitter.com/GooglePlayMusic/status/1260224803039928328

So, I haven't tried YouTube Music (YTM). I'm not sure if I want to, as at least in this thread: https://forums.androidcentral.com/android-10/979238-youtube-music.html YTM doesn't allow streaming in the background. If that is still the case, then fine. No more streaming for me, I'll reinstall PowerAmp, and have all my music on my device.

I guess another good question is, will buying music still happen through Google, or will that be killed off too?
Hate the way they kill off software. I hated when Google bought Songza and incorporated it in to Play Music. Now that's dead and gone. In don't really use Play Music anyway but I'm sure many do.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hate the way they kill off software. I hated when Google bought Songza and incorporated it in to Play Music. Now that's dead and gone. In don't really use Play Music anyway but I'm sure many do.
I mean in general I hate change, but Google chilling off software isn't there anything new unfortunately... I mean look at what they did with allo the IM service lol. As far as streaming music, I'm testing out Spotify again. Just playing with equalizer settings and my favorite artists etc etc etc so far so good. I'm going to integrate into my Google Assistant soon. The only reason I never majorly use Spotify before was because of course we are all googlers so I didn't want to. But I refuse to pay for YouTube music premium just to have the ability to listen to music in the background and very few ads. Spotify lets me do both for free. Who would have thunk it! Lol

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I mean in general I hate change, but Google chilling off software isn't there anything new unfortunately... I mean look at what they did with allo the IM service lol. As far as streaming music, I'm testing out Spotify again. Just playing with equalizer settings and my favorite artists etc etc etc so far so good. I'm going to integrate into my Google Assistant soon. The only reason I never majorly use Spotify before was because of course we are all googlers so I didn't want to. But I refuse to pay for YouTube music premium just to have the ability to listen to music in the background and very few ads. Spotify lets me do both for free. Who would have thunk it! Lol
Yeah I realize it's nothing new and that's why I hate that. I'm surprise they haven't fully blended Waze into Google maps and killed it off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae