Is this the beginning of the end for Play Music?

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
So I don't know if any of you are having any the same issues, but I personally have found that without a YouTube Premium account, not only am I unable to stream my own music to my Smartspeaker, but I am also unable to stream any of my music to my car speakers via Bluetooth.

Personally I am getting more and more ticked off at Google for basically Forcing me into having to purchase a YouTube Premium subscription if I ever hope to listen to any of my music using anything else other than the built-in speakers on my phone
I have been a paid subscriber since before the travesty they call YouTube Music was created, so I have never experienced any of the issues that seem to be related to the free access. I'll switch to a different account and see if I can recreate this. Not being able to stream over BT without a subscription would be a HUGE weakness. That's just part of native Android.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that Google has already said they plan to update YT Music to allow non-subscribers to cast their own music to Chromecast speakers.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Let's hope they keep on improving the service step by step!

I'm finding it to be completely tolerable so far as I use it more and more. One thing I'd like to see is a listen count -- the Google Play Music site used to show how many times I'd listened to a particular track, which is nice if I want to resume an album around where I left off.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Let's hope they keep on improving the service step by step!

I'm finding it to be completely tolerable so far as I use it more and more. One thing I'd like to see is a listen count -- the Google Play Music site used to show how many times I'd listened to a particular track, which is nice if I want to resume an album around where I left off.

That's good to hear that YTM is improving! I'm currently listening to my GPM collection! It will be tough to switch over but it's good to know that YouTube is making strides. A listen count would be beneficial for me as well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I did discover the History feature that can show me where I recently left off in an album, which is useful for recently played albums, but obviously not as much for albums I might have listened to a few weeks or months ago. And that's still not a listen count ...

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I did discover the History feature that can show me where I recently left off in an album, which is useful for recently played albums, but obviously not as much for albums I might have listened to a few weeks or months ago. And that's still not a listen count ...

Where do you find the listen count in GPM? I tried looking for it last night, but to no avail.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
The next step has happened - the store for purchasing tracks in GPM has been shut down.
https://www.droid-life.com/2020/10/12/google-play-music-sales-stopped/
I nearly sent out a couple of pointless angry tweets yesterday when I saw those headlines.
I think it SUX also!

I just recently read an article where the author of the article wondered why anyone was still 'buying music' with all of the Streaming options.

Personally, I perfer purchasing the music I like so that I can listen to it whenever I want.

One of the problems I have with paying for streaming services, vs purchasing the music is having to pay monthy for 'stations' that I don't necessarly want and I also don't like the thought of having to pay monthly for my favorite music.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank to all for this great discussion it's very helpful

So glad you are finding it helpful! It's great to have these kinds of discussions, and get our questions answered too!

I *finally* agreed to transfer my music from Google Play over to YouTube. Apparently the transfer could take a day or two. I've also downloaded the YouTube Music App but haven't had the chance to play with it just yet.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry, it's really not as bad as some might lead you to believe. I think since Google has finally committed to this path, they're also committed to improving the experience (albeit little by little).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay