Is this the beginning of the end for Play Music?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry, it's really not as bad as some might lead you to believe. I think since Google has finally committed to this path, they're also committed to improving the experience (albeit little by little).

Thank you! It does seem as if Google is trying to ease us into things, and making an effort - which was made apparent by the 50+ 'switch your GPM over to YTM today!' prompts I've received over the past few months. 🤣

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I just wish when they came out with new apps or services to replace existing ones that they fully "baked" the replacement app or service before shutting down the old one. I get that the user base is actually beta testing as the features roll out (even if they don't know it) but shutting down a service before its features are fully replicated is turning people off from using the new service.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just wish when they came out with new apps or services to replace existing ones that they fully "baked" the replacement app or service before shutting down the old one. I get that the user base is actually beta testing as the features roll out (even if they don't know it) but shutting down a service before its features are fully replicated is turning people off from using the new service.

Old habits die hard.:p

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! It does seem as if Google is trying to ease us into things, and making an effort - which was made apparent by the 50+ 'switch your GPM over to YTM today!' prompts I've received over the past few months.
Yeah, I've seen that message a hundred times it seems. Now they're straight up being blunt (and not entirely truthful ("..the features you love are are waiting for you in YouTube Music"):
09a705075f20b885a12b16582e4d7d8c.jpg

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm most bummed about not being able to purchase individual tracks/albums from Google anymore. I still like to buy songs I like. :/

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've seen that message a hundred times it seems. Now they're straight up being blunt (and not entirely truthful ("..the features you love are are waiting for you in YouTube Music"):
09a705075f20b885a12b16582e4d7d8c.jpg

Oh, yes! I too noticed that they had gone from mere whispers or full-out shouts with regards to their advertisements!

I did get a chance to use the YouTube Music App today, and it was actually pretty good. I played one of the "made-for-you" playlists and was pleasantly surprised to see the selection they'd created for me. It's still a little odd to sift through but I do see some similarities to GPM and I'm hoping that with time, I'll get more used to it.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Looks like some people have started losing access to GPM already. I read an article prematurely saying it was dead, but several commenters said it was still working for them, as it is for me.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Looks like some people have started losing access to GPM already. I read an article prematurely saying it was dead, but several commenters said it was still working for them, as it is for me.

Oh, wow! Seriously? That seems a little extreme - and scary! But I guess they have warned us for a while... I was just afraid to lose the music I'd paid for over the past few years.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just did my Google Takeout for my music -- they broke it up into 44 ZIP files (I think each about 4 GB in size). I'll have to download them to my computer in the next few days ...

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I just did my Google Takeout for my music -- they broke it up into 44 ZIP files (I think each about 4 GB in size). I'll have to download them to my computer in the next few days ...

All that is just music?! Is that purchased music or stuff you uploaded? Mine was only 4 or 5, but that included my YouTube uploads!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's my entire GPM library, which includes tracks I uploaded (mostly ripped from my CD collection), but also purchases from Google Play. It's a lot of music -- I knew at one point how many tracks it was, but now I've forgotten.

I misspoke as well -- each ZIP file was 2 GB in size.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01