You can deregister your number on Android messaging app.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, and weirder still is that people who don't do it 'properly' and change numbers/SIMs, still get RCS texts from the old one on their registered phone. It's a mess.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
See I'm trying to figure that out myself right now. Why would you want to de register number from RCS? The sole reason to use Android messages versus any other messaging application!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
See I'm trying to figure that out myself right now. Why would you want to de register number from RCS? The sole reason to use Android messages versus any other messaging application!
Yeah exactly, it's not like your switching platform line apple to Andriod and could have issues with texts.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah exactly, it's not like your switching platform line apple to Andriod and could have issues with texts.
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking! I don't understand why people would do this. I mean I'm just impatiently waiting for bubble chat like everyone else in here is with Android 11 beta 1!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking! I don't understand why people would do this. I mean I'm just impatiently waiting for bubble chat like everyone else in here is with Android 11 beta 1!

Sammy's phones have had that since like 4 phones ago...and you can check the forums on how many actually want to turn that off haha. I get the appeal, but it also gets annoying after a while.

Also, while Android Messages brought RCS to more devices/carriers, it is not the only one that supports it, and it actually presents problems with 3rd party apps not being able to access RCS chats. RCS is a bit like iMessage (which is why iPhones DO have to de-register from that service if they want to migrate to another OS), but what IS weird (at least to me) is that Boogle's implementation of RCS seems to tie this to a specific hardware ID rather than just the phone number. On a final note, RCS chats are not the same as regular texts, so turning that off will basically create a separate conversation thread and, AFAIK, RCS chats cannot be backed up or transferred to another phone (might be wrong on that one).

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Sammy's phones have had that since like 4 phones ago...and you can check the forums on how many actually want to turn that off haha. I get the appeal, but it also gets annoying after a while.

Also, while Android Messages brought RCS to more devices/carriers, it is not the only one that supports it, and it actually presents problems with 3rd party apps not being able to access RCS chats. RCS is a bit like iMessage (which is why iPhones DO have to de-register from that service if they want to migrate to another OS), but what IS weird (at least to me) is that Boogle's implementation of RCS seems to tie this to a specific hardware ID rather than just the phone number. On a final note, RCS chats are not the same as regular texts, so turning that off will basically create a separate conversation thread and, AFAIK, RCS chats cannot be backed up or transferred to another phone (might be wrong on that one).
oh yeah absolutely! I mean third party texting apps like Textra which I have used a lot in the past, don't support RCS Yeah not that I know of. I mean I do love the customization of texture just like a lot of other users do but I'm using Android messaging because it's worth it. The chap bubbles seem like a very interactive way to do messaging though at least in my opinion. And it's the main problem in the future of Android 11 beta you know what I mean? I'm Samsung phones available a lot of other features for years, but the fact that Samsung phones do support RCS is great. We would all need Apple to adopt RCS in order for it to make it well worth it, I only use RCS chat with like two people in my life, that's about it. That's the most annoying thing about it. RCS is way different than regular SMS messaging. honestly, I wish more people in my life would be using RCS enabled phones but they don't.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, same 'problem', I don't text with anyone that uses RCS... Mostly iUsers. Also switched to Andyroid Messages because of the web implementation (still baffled they don't have a tablet app, though), which Textra is missing and have been very blunt (and rude, tbh) in stating that they have zero interest in implementing. Pulse was doing OK for me in terms of web access (and pretty much every platform and app available under the sun), but they started glitching out, missing messages and, of course, not supporting RCS, so had to go with the Boogle solution.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yup, same 'problem', I don't text with anyone that uses RCS... Mostly iUsers. Also switched to Andyroid Messages because of the web implementation (still baffled they don't have a tablet app, though), which Textra is missing and have been very blunt (and rude, tbh) in stating that they have zero interest in implementing. Pulse was doing OK for me in terms of web access (and pretty much every platform and app available under the sun), but they started glitching out, missing messages and, of course, not supporting RCS, so had to go with the Boogle solution.
Yeah, I hear ya! I mean for me, that's the same exact reason why I've also uses Android messaging other than being a "passionate Googler"! Love the ability of being able to message directly from my laptop constantly.. that's a huge feature which Textra is missing. Honestly, I've never tried tried Pulse SMS, however, I've heard decent things about it. Yeah, most of the people on my life have an iOS device. There are 2 people that I actually use RCS Chat with.. yeah when you use RCS, it's really nice, but it's so far and I frequent that it barely makes a difference to me, most of the time. I constantly contemplate switching back over to Textra again and again. However, I'd rather have the web messaging functionality over the customization, if that makes sense to you. Lol

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If RCS isn't that important and you don't mind paying a small fee (one time) for web access (limite because it doesn't sync the entire history of messages, but a fair amount; however you get a gazillion app options across devices) but without sacrificing customization options, then I'd strongly suggest you give Pulse a try.

customshopkv1

Feb 26, 2020
Visit site
Samsung Messages I have not seen RCS work at all and also have had inconsistentcy in receiving text. Goggle Messages I have RCS with 3 people and it seems to be the most reliable. I have Textra and it's cool, but been using Google Messages for a while.