07-04-2020 11:47 AM
65 123
tools
    My issue is I bought the 11pro awhile ago , it came with Apple fast charging , if it didn't i would had to use the standard slow charging or buy the fast charger . Im glad I didn't have to .
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2020 06:06 PM
    Technology advances and old technology goes away. Change is everywhere. It’s best to adapt.
    06-30-2020 06:06 PM
    I don't often go into rant mode but when are we going to learn that's it's no longer just about the flavor of the month?

They have nibbled away at these devices little by little and we are down to the bone.

Some Devices have lost for better or for worse depending on who you ask the following in a relatively short amount of time:

Physical Keyboards
    Removable batteries
    Durable backs
    Micro SD readers
    Micro HDMI ports
    IR blasters
    Supplied ear buds
    Earphone Jack's
    Audio adapters to replace the missing jack
    And now charger's may go.
    (Feel free to add to the list)

Has anyone seen price stability with any of these changes?

Granted, there have been some improvements in certain areas like the number of cameras, but I hope they are done taking because there isn't much left too take.

Phones are more expensive than ever. How long before they start cheapening the internals?
    A more nuanced view would also show that while prices at the high-end have increased (what was $650 at retail is now $1000), the options at the $200 to $500 level today are miles ahead relative to the options at that price-point five years ago (what was $300 at retail was crap back then but you can now get a reasonably good phone for $300 today).

A good thing about Android is that you have options - not everything you've listed has gone away. There are 2019/2020 phones with microSD and headphone jacks. Some OEMs moved away from a separate HDMI out but some can display out via USB-C. There are rugged phones if you need one with a "durable" back - or you can just put a case on it and call it a day.

Also if Android OEM's supported their devices as long as Apple does with their iPhones, you could still safely use a phone with that feature set today.
    mustang7757 and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-30-2020 06:44 PM
    I don't care. I have like 50 iPhone chargers around my house. Saying it'll cut costs though is just asinine since those things are really cheap to make.

I'll still be getting the iPhone 12 over any of this year's offerings in the Android world though since Apple now has widgets for the home screen.
    06-30-2020 06:46 PM

A more nuanced view would also show that while prices at the high-end have increased (what was $650 at retail is now $1000), the options at the $200 to $500 level today are miles ahead relative to the options at that price-point five years ago (what was $300 at retail was crap back then but you can now get a reasonably good phone for $300 today).

A good thing about Android is that you have options - not everything you've listed has gone away. There are 2019/2020 phones with microSD and headphone jacks. Some OEMs moved away from a separate HDMI out but some can display out via USB-C. There are rugged phones if you need one with a "durable" back - or you can just put a case on it and call it a day.

Also if Android OEM's supported their devices as long as Apple does with their iPhones, you could still safely use a phone with that feature set today.
    I stated that some devices have lost those features, not all.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2020 06:55 PM
    I don't care. I have like 50 iPhone chargers around my house. Saying it'll cut costs though is just asinine since those things are really cheap to make.

I'll still be getting the iPhone 12 over any of this year's offerings in the Android world though since Apple now has widgets for the home screen.
    I agree, they make them dirt cheap. The packaging probably costs more to produce then the charger.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2020 06:56 PM
    Some people may have multiple charging wall warts - Apple, if ordered directly from them, might want to make it an option in the ordering process to include a charging wall wart.
    07-01-2020 03:07 PM
    Did you hear about the AirPower rumors? Seems Apple's working the AirPower and is probably launch it next year. From my point of view, Apple not including chargers in iPhone boxes is a great move to promote the AirPower. Remembered when they cut the headphone jack, then they released the AirPods?
    07-02-2020 02:18 AM
    Did you hear about the AirPower rumors? Seems Apple's working the AirPower and is probably launch it next year. From my point of view, Apple not including chargers in iPhone boxes is a great move to promote the AirPower. Remembered when they cut the headphone jack, then they released the AirPods?
    While they got rid of the jack they still provide earbuds so I don't think that's the only reason for buying Airpods. Most people I know buy Bluetooth earbuds and headphones because they hate being tethered.
    07-02-2020 07:06 AM
    Rumor has it that Apple is dropping the included charging adapter with the iPhone 12 in an effort to cut costs.

What's your take on this? Every phone is expected to come with a cable and adapter so you have the means to charge it without any other accessories. Not including the adapter and effectively not giving people an out-of-the-box way to charge seems odd, no?
    I don't do business with Apple but I can't remember the last phone or laptop where I actually used the charger. My phones come to Mexico with chargers that don't work in Mexico and my laptops have chargers that are large and heavy. I'm writing on a laptop with a third-party charger, my phone charges in the bedroom on a third-party charger.
    07-02-2020 09:35 AM
    That's a very interesting point.
    I would think if it had anything to do with the enviroment/ecology they would advertise it big time because of all the good will it could bring.
    07-02-2020 09:49 AM
    I guess I can kind of understand the reason for this, since so many people have mountains of chargers and charging cables at home. I think it'd make more sense if Apple gave consumers the option to get a charger/cable with their phone (for free) or not. Just have the charger in a separate package and hand them to the consumer if they request it. But don't charge for it -- that's tacky.
    That's a REALLY good idea. Then consumers can still get the required charger/adapter/etc if they need them; yet if you don't need them, you don't need to automatically be stuck with them. You should be on the sales team! Or in charge of manufacturing or box contents.
    B. Diddy and BergerKing like this.
    07-03-2020 11:41 AM
    Not going to act like this is something that is surprising to me. Apple used to have the headphone jack adopter in the box at one point in time.

I look at it as another bad trend that is about to start.
    BergerKing likes this.
    07-04-2020 09:16 AM
    True , been fast charging for awhile now , no issues
    As I have.
    07-04-2020 09:25 AM
    Not going to act like this is something that is surprising to me. Apple used to have the headphone jack adopter in the box at one point in time.

I look at it as another bad trend that is about to start.
    You may be right. Apple is good at starting trends.
    07-04-2020 11:47 AM
65 123