The iPhone 12 may not come with a charging adapter — what's your take on that?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As someone else mentioned, I don't believe it's about money, it's about ecology. We are destroying this planet with junk. At what point do we realize we don't need more chargers?

I mean, we'll need chargers still but they don't necessarily need to come in the box with the phone anymore.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I mean, we'll need chargers still but they don't necessarily need to come in the box with the phone anymore.
Exactly. Buy one when you need one.

I do think there'll be a time soon when wireless charging is the norm and it may not require lying your phone on a charger.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
As someone else mentioned, I don't believe it's about money, it's about ecology. We are destroying this planet with junk. At what point do we realize we don't need more chargers?

apple said it was about cost savings, not about ecology. but you are right, I have a bunch of unused charging blocks

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't often go into rant mode but when are we going to learn that's it's no longer just about the flavor of the month?

They have nibbled away at these devices little by little and we are down to the bone.

Some Devices have lost for better or for worse depending on who you ask the following in a relatively short amount of time:

Physical Keyboards
Removable batteries
Durable backs
Micro SD readers
Micro HDMI ports
IR blasters
Supplied ear buds
Earphone Jack's
Audio adapters to replace the missing jack
And now charger's may go.
(Feel free to add to the list)

Has anyone seen price stability with any of these changes?

Granted, there have been some improvements in certain areas like the number of cameras, but I hope they are done taking because there isn't much left too take.

Phones are more expensive than ever. How long before they start cheapening the internals?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't often go into rant mode but when are we going to learn that's it's no longer just about the flavor of the month?

They have nibbled away at these devices little by little and we are down to the bone.

Some Devices have lost for better or for worse depending on who you ask the following in a relatively short amount of time:

Physical Keyboards
Removable batteries
Durable backs
Micro SD readers
Micro HDMI ports
IR blasters
Supplied ear buds
Earphone Jack's

Granted, there have been some improvements in certain areas like the number of cameras, but I hope they are done taking because there isn't much left too take.

Phones are more expensive than ever. How long before they start cheapening the internals?
How long you had this bottled up? :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My issue is I bought the 11pro awhile ago , it came with Apple fast charging , if it didn't i would had to use the standard slow charging or buy the fast charger . Im glad I didn't have to .

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Physical Keyboards
Removable batteries
Durable backs
Micro SD readers
Micro HDMI ports
IR blasters
Supplied ear buds
Earphone Jack's

A more nuanced view would also show that while prices at the high-end have increased (what was $650 at retail is now $1000), the options at the $200 to $500 level today are miles ahead relative to the options at that price-point five years ago (what was $300 at retail was crap back then but you can now get a reasonably good phone for $300 today).

A good thing about Android is that you have options - not everything you've listed has gone away. There are 2019/2020 phones with microSD and headphone jacks. Some OEMs moved away from a separate HDMI out but some can display out via USB-C. There are rugged phones if you need one with a "durable" back - or you can just put a case on it and call it a day.

Also if Android OEM's supported their devices as long as Apple does with their iPhones, you could still safely use a phone with that feature set today. :p

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I don't care. I have like 50 iPhone chargers around my house. Saying it'll cut costs though is just asinine since those things are really cheap to make.

I'll still be getting the iPhone 12 over any of this year's offerings in the Android world though since Apple now has widgets for the home screen.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

A more nuanced view would also show that while prices at the high-end have increased (what was $650 at retail is now $1000), the options at the $200 to $500 level today are miles ahead relative to the options at that price-point five years ago (what was $300 at retail was crap back then but you can now get a reasonably good phone for $300 today).

A good thing about Android is that you have options - not everything you've listed has gone away. There are 2019/2020 phones with microSD and headphone jacks. Some OEMs moved away from a separate HDMI out but some can display out via USB-C. There are rugged phones if you need one with a "durable" back - or you can just put a case on it and call it a day.

Also if Android OEM's supported their devices as long as Apple does with their iPhones, you could still safely use a phone with that feature set today. :p

I stated that some devices have lost those features, not all.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't care. I have like 50 iPhone chargers around my house. Saying it'll cut costs though is just asinine since those things are really cheap to make.

I'll still be getting the iPhone 12 over any of this year's offerings in the Android world though since Apple now has widgets for the home screen.
I agree, they make them dirt cheap. The packaging probably costs more to produce then the charger.

stevenjb2020

Oct 1, 2019
Visit site
Some people may have multiple charging wall warts - Apple, if ordered directly from them, might want to make it an option in the ordering process to include a charging wall wart.

blue claire

Sep 17, 2019
Visit site
Did you hear about the AirPower rumors? Seems Apple's working the AirPower and is probably launch it next year. From my point of view, Apple not including chargers in iPhone boxes is a great move to promote the AirPower. Remembered when they cut the headphone jack, then they released the AirPods?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Did you hear about the AirPower rumors? Seems Apple's working the AirPower and is probably launch it next year. From my point of view, Apple not including chargers in iPhone boxes is a great move to promote the AirPower. Remembered when they cut the headphone jack, then they released the AirPods?

While they got rid of the jack they still provide earbuds so I don't think that's the only reason for buying Airpods. Most people I know buy Bluetooth earbuds and headphones because they hate being tethered.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Rumor has it that Apple is dropping the included charging adapter with the iPhone 12 in an effort to cut costs.

What's your take on this? Every phone is expected to come with a cable and adapter so you have the means to charge it without any other accessories. Not including the adapter and effectively not giving people an out-of-the-box way to charge seems odd, no?

I don't do business with Apple but I can't remember the last phone or laptop where I actually used the charger. My phones come to Mexico with chargers that don't work in Mexico and my laptops have chargers that are large and heavy. I'm writing on a laptop with a third-party charger, my phone charges in the bedroom on a third-party charger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge