The iPhone 12 may not come with a charging adapter — what's your take on that?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess I can kind of understand the reason for this, since so many people have mountains of chargers and charging cables at home. I think it'd make more sense if Apple gave consumers the option to get a charger/cable with their phone (for free) or not. Just have the charger in a separate package and hand them to the consumer if they request it. But don't charge for it -- that's tacky.

That's a REALLY good idea. Then consumers can still get the required charger/adapter/etc if they need them; yet if you don't need them, you don't need to automatically be stuck with them. You should be on the sales team! Or in charge of manufacturing or box contents.

tfitzpat03

Jan 17, 2019
Visit site
Not going to act like this is something that is surprising to me. Apple used to have the headphone jack adopter in the box at one point in time.

I look at it as another bad trend that is about to start.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Not going to act like this is something that is surprising to me. Apple used to have the headphone jack adopter in the box at one point in time.

I look at it as another bad trend that is about to start.

You may be right. Apple is good at starting trends.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I can see the "reasons" not to include one...until I want to sell the phone on the used market. However, if after several years everyone expects to keep the charger they have then it will not be much of a problem. What really needs to be done if for ALL CHARGERS to work on ALL phones. Problem solved.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I can see the "reasons" not to include one...until I want to sell the phone on the used market. However, if after several years everyone expects to keep the charger they have then it will not be much of a problem. What really needs to be done if for ALL CHARGERS to work on ALL phones. Problem solved.
Most charger's work on all devices now but since some devices support different fast charging rates all things are not equal.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
The 18w charger you need for an iPhone only cost 8-10 USD on Amazon anyway, and that is from good brands like Aukey and Anker

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I feel like not having the included charger doesn't sway someone from buying a phone either way.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I feel like not having the included charger doesn't sway someone from buying a phone either way.

You're right - I don't think it would sway most people, either. Would I find it slightly inconvenient? Sure. But if I really wanted the phone in the first place, I'd still buy it. :)

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I don't often go into rant mode but when are we going to learn that's it's no longer just about the flavor of the month?

They have nibbled away at these devices little by little and we are down to the bone.

Some Devices have lost for better or for worse depending on who you ask the following in a relatively short amount of time:

Physical Keyboards
Removable batteries
Durable backs
Micro SD readers
Micro HDMI ports
IR blasters
Supplied ear buds
Earphone Jack's
Audio adapters to replace the missing jack
And now charger's may go.
(Feel free to add to the list)

Has anyone seen price stability with any of these changes?

Granted, there have been some improvements in certain areas like the number of cameras, but I hope they are done taking because there isn't much left too take.

Phones are more expensive than ever. How long before they start cheapening the internals?

Well said Mike....I can't stand Apple because they've proven over and over and over again they're one of the crookedest companies on the planet. I will NEVER own an Apple product on principle alone. And I suspect they are already cheapening internals, they seem to have been plagued recently with quality control issues, and I think more than a few of the big players are purposely shortening the lives of their sealed batteries. I'm enjoying watching Apple lose market share and be forced to offer lower priced phones :D

Screw the "Cadillac" (which is laughable) of phones. As everyone can see they're still trying to screw us :mad:

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Well said Mike....I can't stand Apple because they've proven over and over and over again they're one of the crookedest companies on the planet. I will NEVER own an Apple product on principle alone. And I suspect they are already cheapening internals, they seem to have been plagued recently with quality control issues, and I think more than a few of the big players are purposely shortening the lives of their sealed batteries. I'm enjoying watching Apple lose market share and be forced to offer lower priced phones :D

Screw the "Cadillac" (which is laughable) of phones. As everyone can see they're still trying to screw us :mad:
To each their own but are other giants like Google, Samsung, etc. saints? Apple hasn't lost market share over the last couple years from what I see though numbers do fluctuate. I certainly don't like the trend they started with higher priced phones but they have built a nice variety now for multiple price points. They are the industry leader.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well done cutting the power adapter and headphones from the box. I hope more OEMs do this.

overcookedcoffle

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
According to Apple, it's to ensure that the prices for the iPhone 12 are the same or not much higher than the 11, to make up for the extra 5G cost.

But still...not including a charger + cable (which costs at least $30 separately I think) is silly.

I still don't get it. it's a scam!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol