07-04-2020 11:47 AM
65 123
tools
    Rumor has it that Apple is dropping the included charging adapter with the iPhone 12 in an effort to cut costs.

What's your take on this? Every phone is expected to come with a cable and adapter so you have the means to charge it without any other accessories. Not including the adapter and effectively not giving people an out-of-the-box way to charge seems odd, no?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-29-2020 03:16 PM
    It's beyond stupid not to include a required charger, as it is their cords are low quality and prone to failure, just another way for them to make cash and sadly it won't hurt their sales.

If this is true I'm sure fan boys will proclaim it's a great thing to buy the charger separate and all Androids should do the same.
    06-29-2020 03:30 PM
    I guess I can kind of understand the reason for this, since so many people have mountains of chargers and charging cables at home. I think it'd make more sense if Apple gave consumers the option to get a charger/cable with their phone (for free) or not. Just have the charger in a separate package and hand them to the consumer if they request it. But don't charge for it -- that's tacky.
    06-29-2020 03:57 PM
    Rumor has it that Apple is dropping the included charging adapter with the iPhone 12 in an effort to cut costs.

What's your take on this? Every phone is expected to come with a cable and adapter so you have the means to charge it without any other accessories. Not including the adapter and effectively not giving people an out-of-the-box way to charge seems odd, no?
    I highly doubt it’s true and this is probably a rumor that was used to suss out an internal leakster I am sure, someone probably lost their job over this
    06-29-2020 05:09 PM
    06-29-2020 05:52 PM

apple is doing the taking, not me :-) I just wonder, reduce whose costs? what they are leaving out costs next to nothing to make though they cost a fortune if you had to buy one. hopefully it is just a false rumor.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-29-2020 06:06 PM
    I guess I can kind of understand the reason for this, since so many people have mountains of chargers and charging cables at home. I think it'd make more sense if Apple gave consumers the option to get a charger/cable with their phone (for free) or not. Just have the charger in a separate package and hand them to the consumer if they request it. But don't charge for it -- that's tacky.
    Except that their charger's changed with the iPhone 11
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-29-2020 06:11 PM
    I haven't used an OEM charger in years. Even with my new LG V60, it's only seen the OEM charger and cable once, just to see what it would do. It wouldn't bother me if those were no longer included. I would throw the caveat in that I would expect that cost cutting to translate to a lower phone price, but it's such a cheap accessory that there's no way to tell unless they offer a version with the charger and cable at a higher price.
    06-29-2020 06:11 PM
    I haven't used an OEM charger in years. Even with my new LG V60, it's only seen the OEM charger and cable once, just to see what it would do. It wouldn't bother me if those were no longer included. I would throw the caveat in that I would expect that cost cutting to translate to a lower phone price, but it's such a cheap accessory that there's no way to tell unless they offer a version with the charger and cable at a higher price.
    Depends on the charger these days. Sometimes there is a benefit to using the factory charger.
    06-29-2020 06:25 PM
    Apple
    Its like getting a brand new car from dealer no gas in it and they tell you go put quarter tank before so you can take it home , or leave the tire valve caps off all 4 tires

Hope it not true
    06-29-2020 06:49 PM
    Except that their charger's changed with the iPhone 11
    But the wall plug still has a USB-C port, right? Those are becoming more common now (and I'm guessing a lot of iPhone owners have USB-A-to-Lightning cables to use with other wall plugs with USB-A ports).
    06-29-2020 07:51 PM
    Depends on the charger these days. Sometimes there is a benefit to using the factory charger.
    Such as? My primary chargers are a fair bit slower than the OEM charger, which will help prolong battery life.
    06-29-2020 08:01 PM
    But the wall plug still has a USB-C port, right? Those are becoming more common now (and I'm guessing a lot of iPhone owners have USB-A-to-Lightning cables to use with other wall plugs with USB-A ports).
    They went from USB A to USB C and the charger has more output.
    06-29-2020 08:03 PM
    But the wall plug still has a USB-C port, right?
    Yup
    06-29-2020 08:05 PM
    Such as? My primary chargers are a fair bit slower than the OEM charger, which will help prolong battery life.
    I don't know anyone that really wants to slow charge. Maybe here at AC I've heard 1 or 2 people including yourself, however I feel like we have gone over this fast charge verses slow charge before and we aren't about to change each other's mind.
    From what I know about batteries and have discussed with subject matter experts at the world's largest utility: As long as you don't exceed the C rate, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference in longevity between a slow charge and a fast charge.
    BergerKing likes this.
    06-29-2020 08:17 PM
    I don't know anyone that really wants to slow charge. Maybe here at AC I've heard 1 or 2 people including yourself, however I feel like we have gone over this fast charge verses fast charge before and we aren't about to change each other's mind.
    From what I know about batteries and have discussed with subject matter experts at the world's largest utility: As long as you don't exceed the C rate, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference in longevity between a slow charge and a fast charge.
    True , been fast charging for awhile now , no issues
    BergerKing likes this.
    06-29-2020 08:20 PM
    One word. Courage.

FML

I guess they're finally coming out with some wireless charger like no other, that's just simply amazing.

What I hate even more is, Samsung and the rest will make this move as well.
    06-30-2020 12:27 AM
    I don't know anyone that really wants to slow charge. Maybe here at AC I've heard 1 or 2 people including yourself, however I feel like we have gone over this fast charge verses slow charge before and we aren't about to change each other's mind.
    I have fast charging turned off on a schedule for when I am sleeping. I just don't want to listen to the charger fan running and obviously I don't care if it takes 3 hours to charge.
    06-30-2020 05:53 AM
    I guess slow is a relative term. Mine charge at a max 3A, which technically falls into the quick charge range (QC3.0), or 0.6C on my LG V60's 5,000mAh battery. That's still plenty fast.
    06-30-2020 06:03 AM
    According to Apple, it's to ensure that the prices for the iPhone 12 are the same or not much higher than the 11, to make up for the extra 5G cost.

But still...not including a charger + cable (which costs at least $30 separately I think) is silly.
    06-30-2020 06:13 AM
    I have fast charging turned off on a schedule for when I am sleeping. I just don't want to listen to the charger fan running and obviously I don't care if it takes 3 hours to charge.
    At night I agree, there's no reason to fast charge. Samsung devices allow you to disable fast charging from either cube or wireless charging so you can have the best of both worlds.
    06-30-2020 07:10 AM
    According to Apple, it's to ensure that the prices for the iPhone 12 are the same or not much higher than the 11, to make up for the extra 5G cost.

But still...not including a charger + cable (which costs at least $30 separately I think) is silly.
    Give me a break...not you...Apple. while I realize that reduces their bottom line, that's just bull. They can afford to include the charger without raising prices. Even if they were to raise the price based on their cost, do they really expect us to believe they will turn away customers? It sounds like a money grab to sell accessories at a huge profit.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2020 07:15 AM
    Couldn't resist
    06-30-2020 08:30 AM
    If the price of the phone dropped accordingly, I'd be ok with it. I'm still using the charger from the S8 (different cable tho).
    06-30-2020 08:52 AM
    I've had a Note 10 Plus since launch day. I still have the original box here. Know what is still inside the original box? The original earbuds, power brick, and USB cable, because I never used them.

Not saying that is the case for everybody, but there are at least some people that would get along just fine without them. I do understand the value loss here, though. You pay $1000+ for a phone and it doesn't come with a charger or cable. You'd think they could just cut their profit margin by a couple of bucks so they could still include these accessories but nope.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2020 08:59 AM
65 123