Very fast charging 125W. (The Insanely fast charging OppO.)

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how people need that much fast charging. Even 25w will be more than enough for most people. I mean battery life should last all day anyway so is it really needed?

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how people need that much fast charging. Even 25w will be more than enough for most people. I mean battery life should last all day anyway so is it really needed?

Probably not really *needed* but boy will it be dead handy, the 10 minutes charging is from 0-100% which most people hardly ever do anyway, it will probably mean that most people will be able to charge once or twice a day for a few minutes, no overnight charging needed, it will probably make wireless charging a little redundant too, makes it convenient for the people who swear by keeping their charge range between 20-80% for battery longevity.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Unless there's been a major breakthrough in Li-ion technology, you can kiss those batteries goodbye when pumping 20-25A of current into them.

T2996420

Aug 29, 2019
Visit site
could be the plan, by design, burn out existing and older batteries at a higher rate, hence turn people onto buying newer phones, with improved battery tech, for instance, more frequently....more revenue......nobody would ever admit this of course.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Well they have obviously come up with something, otherwise they wouldn't declare it ready for mass production, whatever it is, it will be interesting and is welcome in my opinion.

Bodestone

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Unless there's been a major breakthrough in Li-ion technology, you can kiss those batteries goodbye when pumping 20-25A of current into them.

It won't be any of the current Li-ion (mainly cobalt for phone/laptop batteries and magnesium for the high drain ones for vaping).

There is research on a solid elecrolite and using sodium instead of lithium. With the electrolite being solid then you don't get dendrite growth so can be charged much more rapidly.
They are still in the lab though and years away from to-scale testing.

Last edited:

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Moved this the the General News and Discussion subforum, better fit since the topic is about an upcoming phone, compared to others.

That is an interesting breakthrough, and I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out. Thanks for the heads-up my

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It won't be any of the current Li-ion (mainly cobalt for phone/laptop batteries and magnesium for the high drain ones for vaping).

There is research on a solid elecrolite and using sodium instead of lithium. With the electrolite being solid then you don't get dendrite growth so can be charged much more rapidly.
They are still in the lab though and years away from to-scale testing.
That would be interesting to see come about. I can already see the complaints, though, about being unable to charge at full speed in their car. A standard 12V outlet is fused at 10A, so 120 watts at most (including parasitic losses).

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
Given that it looks possible chargers in the box will stop, how much will they charge for the required charger though?

This is just a spec chase. Faster processors, fast charging. All you're achieving is killing your battery sooner.

Seems to be those 30-40w chargers are way fast enough already.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The 25w,45w im ok with but 125w ill need to see other OEM manufacturers test it out first , OPPO to me not one I'd put much trust with leading edge technology past the likes of Samsung, Google ,Apple etc...they put stuff out there to be first at it and say we have this . I let the more experienced company first say its ok .

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
The 25w,45w im ok with but 125w ill need to see other OEM manufacturers test it out first , OPPO to me not one I'd put much trust with leading edge technology past the likes of Samsung, Google ,Apple etc...they put stuff out there to be first at it and say we have this . I let the more experienced company first say its ok .
Even if Samsung came up with it, there's gotta be a catch to having lightning fast charging like this.

And I feel like that catch is even quicker battery degradation.
Now they might be able to mask that for while by packing 4500mAh batteries on their phones so that the user will still have about a day's worth of charge even after degradation.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Even if Samsung came up with it, there's gotta be a catch to having lightning fast charging like this.

And I feel like that catch is even quicker battery degradation.
Now they might be able to mask that for while by packing 4500mAh batteries on their phones so that the user will still have about a day's worth of charge even after degradation.
That's why those bigger manufacturer haven't put it out yet . When it's ready I think they will but be awhile .