Yesterday 09:45 AM
162 ... 567
tools
    Kind of hard for them to be popular when no one is making them.

Every alternate form factor lost to the slab early last decade around 2012 because it was the beginning of the race to the big bezel less display.
    Fast forward to 2020, where we have said big displays, may not be a bad idea to explore those alternate form factors. How long can they get away with making the same looking slab over and over again?

That way, when typing (and doing so accurately) you actually get to enjoy the full display instead 40% of it being taken by a VKB.
    You keep putting all this emphasis on needing the PKB for typing when the VKB is far more versatile and dependable for 99% of users. At one level, a slider is a form compromise while at different level, the PKB is a task performance compromise.

When BlackBerry and Palm first came out, part of the allure was, the shrunk mini laptop aspect. It’s been almost twenty years and we are completely different in usage patterns but you keep wanting to fit square peg in a round hole. Expressing yourself differently with the form of a phone was something people did in the 90’s and 00’s externally. Now the differentiation in 10’s and 20’s, for the ones that even care, is done internally. The first differential is Android/iOS but even that is just around few proprietary apps or features now to either platform.
    10-13-2020 09:15 PM
    You keep putting all this emphasis on needing the PKB for typing when the VKB is far more versatile and dependable for 99% of users. At one level, a slider is a form compromise while at different level, the PKB is a task performance compromise.

When BlackBerry and Palm first came out, part of the allure was, the shrunk mini laptop aspect. It’s been almost twenty years and we are completely different in usage patterns but you keep wanting to fit square peg in a round hole. Expressing yourself differently with the form of a phone was something people did in the 90’s and 00’s externally. Now the differentiation in 10’s and 20’s, for the ones that even care, is done internally. The first differential is Android/iOS but even that is just around few proprietary apps or features now to either platform.
    You're right, people don't communicate via typing on their phones anymore. They just send emojis instead.
    10-13-2020 09:42 PM

I don't even buy the arguement that a PKB is better for typing. Sure it's a different feel but I find virtual faster because you can use a lighter touch. Then there's the ability to swipe one handed while holding the device with the other which you can't do on a physical keyboard. Not to mention the Note devices or other stylus compatible devices the ability to swipe even more accurately with a stylus.

In the end it does come down to preference and what's better for the individual but I just don't see PKBs making a comeback or even sustaining a niche segment while making a profit.
    Laura Knotek and Morty2264 like this.
    10-13-2020 09:51 PM
    Sure it's a different feel but I find virtual faster because you can use a lighter touch.
    Not just different, but MUCH more satisfying. If that weren't the case, believe me, my sim card would long ago dwell in my Samsung. As for speed, it depends, but it does take a bit of time (few weeks typically) to get faster on the PKB.

I just don't see PKBs making a comeback
    Me neither unless one of the big two (AppleSung) implement a PKB in a clever way that doesn't eat away at screen real estate.

or even sustaining a niche segment while making a profit.
    I do, but the OEM needs to carefully evaluate how many units they will probably sell, and appeal to consumers first, and the die-hards second.
    In other words, a slider with a 6" bezel-less OLED screen, and a hidden keyboard for when they want it.
    10-14-2020 09:00 AM
    Then there's the ability to swipe one handed while holding the device with the other which you can't do on a physical keyboard
    Technically you can on the KEYone/KEY2, but it's not very practical. Slabs win there.

New 5G BlackBerry in 2021.-screenshot_20201014-100447.jpeg
    10-14-2020 09:07 AM
    I don't even buy the arguement that a PKB is better for typing. Sure it's a different feel but I find virtual faster because you can use a lighter touch. Then there's the ability to swipe one handed while holding the device with the other which you can't do on a physical keyboard. Not to mention the Note devices or other stylus compatible devices the ability to swipe even more accurately with a stylus.

In the end it does come down to preference and what's better for the individual but I just don't see PKBs making a comeback or even sustaining a niche segment while making a profit.
    When I type on my Chromebook I do like having that textile feedback, but andittedly I will often take advantage of the shortcuts on my VKB to send messages.

Another thing to consider is weather. I remember using my BlackBerry to type while outside in the winter and it would be hard to do so if the keys got cold. It's easier to type on a virtual keyboard with those special fingered gloves, I find. But maybe that's just me.
    10-14-2020 10:35 AM
    Technically you can on the KEYone/KEY2, but it's not very practical. Slabs win there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20201014-100447.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	327789
    I don't think I would like the feel of swiping on PKB
    the_boon likes this.
    10-14-2020 11:34 AM
    So many things on mobile are moving away from using a keyboard. The future is not little plastic keys.
    10-14-2020 08:02 PM
    I truly believe that nothing is the same anymore. Folding tech is too expensive and slabs are boring. BB incarnated and relatively inexpensive might be just what we need.
    the_boon likes this.
    Yesterday 07:27 AM
    I truly believe that nothing is the same anymore. Folding tech is too expensive and slabs are boring. BB incarnated and relatively inexpensive might be just what we need.
    Other than having a physical keyboard how will a Blackberry phone running Android be all that different than any other Android phone?
    the_boon likes this.
    Yesterday 07:51 AM
    Other than having a physical keyboard how will a Blackberry phone running Android be all that different than any other Android phone?
    I think Boon would say "you just said it" . The physical keyboard.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Yesterday 08:02 AM
    Well, if the new device runs BBAndroid instead of Android, that’s a reasonable difference. However, I don’t think it will run BBAndroid since that increases costs. I’d suspect it will run Android One to save money but supposedly it’s supposed to have additional “something” included. There’s been no information for two months since that infomercial press release.

So the only difference is the PKB, for now.
    Yesterday 09:45 AM
162 ... 567