10-21-2020 09:45 AM
161 123 ...
tools
    08-19-2020 07:12 PM
    New 5G BlackBerry in 2021.-blackberry-return.jpeg
    Pixeluser2020 and MB64 like this.
    08-19-2020 07:13 PM
    WHOAH, cool! That's pretty awesome if it is true! I'd love to get my hands on one in-store to see how it feels in the hand! I truly do miss typing on a physical keyboard.
    the_boon, Sigewif, MB64 and 1 others like this.
    08-19-2020 10:06 PM
    I don't wanna be negative unless it's below the $400 CAN mark it's too little too late.
    TgeekB and Morty2264 like this.
    08-21-2020 12:27 PM
    I don't wanna be negative unless it's below the $400 CAN mark it's too little too late.
    I do agree with you that they should at least attempt to price it accordingly/modestly. Better to price it a bit lower and sell way more models than price it too high and only sell a few.
    08-21-2020 01:17 PM
    I left BlackBerry back in 2017 after nearly 10 years as a faithful user and now I would never return.

The lack of users that now want a PKB, the horrible SW support, the pricing and tainted name makes me wonder if this project is viable.

I do hope that it does work out for all the die hards still wishing and hoping on Crackberry. We will see.

In my humble opinion, their only hope is to make a slider to give real estate to the screen because, other than die hards, that's what Joe soap needs these days.

Me, I'll stick with Nokia.
    Morty2264, TgeekB and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-22-2020 07:43 PM
    I left BlackBerry back in 2017 after nearly 10 years as a faithful user and now I would never return.

The lack of users that now want a PKB, the horrible SW support, the pricing and tainted name makes me wonder if this project is viable.

I do hope that it does work out for all the die hards still wishing and hoping on Crackberry. We will see.

In my humble opinion, their only hope is to make a slider to give real estate to the screen because, other than die hards, that's what Joe soap needs these days.

I too was a huge BB fan and definitely miss the physical keyboard. I definitely agree with you that making it a slider with the availability to have a bigger screen is a more realistic idea. And maybe even something I would consider.
    dangerousfen likes this.
    08-23-2020 12:30 PM
    Loved the 8800 and Curve, boy I really enjoyed those two. But the Storm and Storm2 pooped the bed.
    08-23-2020 12:38 PM

On one hand, the slider seems like the obvious solution to pull in slabbers that just won't give up any "precious screen real estate" for a keyboard (me I won't give up the tactile keyboard for an extra 1.5" of glass).
    But will those slabbers that say they'll buy a Berry with a keyboard only if it doesn't compromise on screen size actually ditch their slab for it?

On the other hand, those who understand that a slider will very likely compromise on typing efficiency due to the likelihood of being top heavy, having a cramped keyboard, etc...

It's tough but I think it's either gonna have to be slightly smaller than KEY2 but with a bezel less screen that goes from all the way up top, down to the keyboard.

Or, Priv style slider, which will undoubtedly be more expensive.

All touch is fail, Passport doesn't have enough fans, Classic is too small for today's standards....
    Pixeluser2020 likes this.
    08-23-2020 12:57 PM
    On one hand, the slider seems like the obvious solution to pull in slabbers that just won't give up any "precious screen real estate" for a keyboard (me I won't give up the tactile keyboard for an extra 1.5" of glass).
    But will those slabbers that say they'll buy a Berry with a keyboard only if it doesn't compromise on screen size actually ditch their slab for it?

On the other hand, those who understand that a slider will very likely compromise on typing efficiency due to the likelihood of being top heavy, having a cramped keyboard, etc...

It's tough but I think it's either gonna have to be slightly smaller than KEY2 but with a bezel less screen that goes from all the way up top, down to the keyboard.

Or, Priv style slider, which will undoubtedly be more expensive.

All touch is fail, Passport doesn't have enough fans, Classic is too small for today's standards....
    You use what appears to be a derogatory term, "slabbers". Unfortunately, these "slabs" are what almost ALL of the smartphone world uses now and if Blackberry wants to regain any traction again, then this is the only way forward. With the miniscule number of users that want a PKB they will surely fail again.

The only way to try to capture the world again is to produce an excellent slider at an affordable price and then marketing, marketing, marketing, marketing. And that's going to need millions of $.

I do hope they succeed.

Slabber out.
    08-24-2020 04:17 AM
    Loved the 8800 and Curve, boy I really enjoyed those two. But the Storm and Storm2 pooped the bed.
    I never tried the Storm line. Would have liked to, but my Bold was what I liked.
    customshopkv1 likes this.
    08-24-2020 07:56 AM
    You use what appears to be a derogatory term, "slabbers". Unfortunately, these "slabs" are what almost ALL of the smartphone world uses now and if Blackberry wants to regain any traction again, then this is the only way forward. With the miniscule number of users that want a PKB they will surely fail again.
    Enlighten us on the marvelous commercial success of all the BlackBerry's that didn't have a keyboard (Z10, Z30, Leap, DTEK50 & 60, Motion...)
    And what I refer to as a "slabber" isn't necessarily simply the user of a slab, but more a closed-minded individual who believes that there is no place for alternate form factors/keyboards for those who want them, and that the slab is the best and ultimate form factor for every possible use case, when in reality it's just one of them.

The only way to try to capture the world again is to produce an excellent slider at an affordable price and then marketing, marketing, marketing, marketing. And that's going to need millions of $.

I do hope they succeed.

Slabber out.
    This, we agree on. While I personally will take a keyboard under any form factor because I won't trade the tactility for an extra inch or two of glass, I understand that most consumers feel the opposite. And only a slider can make both happy, albeit with some compromises (a slider won't be water resistant).
    Pixeluser2020 likes this.
    08-24-2020 09:13 PM
    OM seems to have former BBMo and Sonim executives. If OM follows the similar but funded Essential PH-1 strategy, would it succeed? Is a similar to Sonim type strategy but with a PKB any better idea?

I’m asking if Android Central users here think a PKB is enough of a differentiation to allow for less startup capital? Did Essential PH-1 fail because of no differentiation features, benefits or simply lack of capital?

The arguments, excitement and perspectives are raging on CrackBerry, however, it’s a biased forum...
    09-02-2020 10:03 AM
    Enlighten us on the marvelous commercial success of all the BlackBerry's that didn't have a keyboard (Z10, Z30, Leap, DTEK50 & 60, Motion...)
    And what I refer to as a "slabber" isn't necessarily simply the user of a slab, but more a closed-minded individual who believes that there is no place for alternate form factors/keyboards for those who want them, and that the slab is the best and ultimate form factor for every possible use case, when in reality it's just one of them.

This, we agree on. While I personally will take a keyboard under any form factor because I won't trade the tactility for an extra inch or two of glass, I understand that most consumers feel the opposite. And only a slider can make both happy, albeit with some compromises (a slider won't be water resistant).
    A slider could easily be made water resistant.
    09-02-2020 11:47 AM
    A slider could easily be made water resistant.
    I don't think it can't, but that would drive costs up even more and complicate the engineering even further. They'd have to stick rubber seals in crucial places. Maybe splash resistance slider is more realistic.

Most people wouldn't even expect water resistance from a slider, having it would be a bonus but it would raise doubts about the effectiveness of it.
    09-02-2020 11:56 AM
    I don't think it can't, but that would drive costs up even more and complicate the engineering even further. They'd have to stick rubber seals in crucial places. Maybe splash resistance slider is more realistic.

Most people wouldn't even expect water resistance from a slider, having it would be a bonus but it would raise doubts about the effectiveness of it.
    Agree. Making a slider water resistant would be an expensive undertaking.
    09-02-2020 08:08 PM

The good thing, or bad, depending on how you look at it, is that this really has nothing to do with blackberry. This is some probably unknown company paying to use the blackberry name. I guess some name recognition is better than none. So the software support could be excellent. Or it could be terrible. Or non existent. No one knows at This point.
    mustang7757 and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-02-2020 08:20 PM
    I question the use case for this device. It's aimed at enterprise users, but those folks are working from home using computers, so why would they need this device?
    mustang7757 likes this.
    09-02-2020 08:27 PM
    I question the use case for this device. It's aimed at enterprise users, but those folks are working from home using computers, so why would they need this device?
    You raise a valid point. As much as I loved - and still do - BlackBerry devices, they are being geared towards a small, nice market. Maybe they'll gain some new followers - but a lot of smartpvone users stick with what they know. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.
    Laura Knotek and mustang7757 like this.
    09-02-2020 08:42 PM
    You raise a valid point. As much as I loved - and still do - BlackBerry devices, they are being geared towards a small, nice market. Maybe they'll gain some new followers - but a lot of smartpvone users stick with what they know. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.
    You're right, most smartphone users do stick to the brands they know.
    It's why most won't buy this phone, or look at it, or even know about its existence.

OnwardMobility knows it's not gonna sell millions.

I'm not sure what their target sales numbers are, but it's probably below what TCL expected. And that's totally fine as long as it's a quality device overall and enough people buy it, whether on the enterprise or on the consumer end.
    09-02-2020 09:02 PM
    Agree. Making a slider water resistant would be an expensive undertaking.
    It's not that difficult or that expensive, but yes it would add to the cost.
    09-02-2020 09:55 PM
    Need would be a stretch. It comes down to whether someone really believes a physical keyboard is a big advantage or just plain prefers it.
    09-02-2020 10:01 PM
    Need would be a stretch. It comes down to whether someone really believes a physical keyboard is a big advantage or just plain prefers it.
    Or would their employers have any need to buy this device for them if they're working at home using company issued laptops?
    mustang7757 likes this.
    09-02-2020 10:07 PM
    It's not that difficult or that expensive, but yes it would add to the cost.
    For a slider? Any information/data that says so?
    09-02-2020 10:16 PM
    For a slider? Any information/data that says so?
    I don't know of any public information for either arguement but I do know based on some sliding keyboards designs I've seen that it wouldn't be that difficult. I run the QA and training program for over 400 engineers and any of my guys in R&D could do it. We don't make phones though and don't intend to but the electronics they design have to withstand all kinds of elements. Anyway, feel free to disagree but it's pretty irrelevant because water resistance won't make or break the sales of this device.
    09-02-2020 10:28 PM
161 123 ...