Very Weird Thing is Going On...

anon(10300249)

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site
Hello, something very weird and scary thing is going on, I'm almost in shock right now, because thing happened I can't explain.

In the morning, about at 9 AM, I got call from someone, but he stopped calling very quick, so I didn't pick up. So, it was a missing call technically. I checked it in the history and it showed me country code which was very unusual. I googled it and it told me country code belongs to Ethiopia, which is completely foreign for me and I don't have anyone there (I'm from Europe). Well, I assumed it was a scam attempt and ignored it. Now, things will get even more weird: Few minutes ago, at 12 and something PM, phone started ringing again, but what was unusual about it was the different interface. It looked different than what my phone has when someone calls me and it had ringtone of not Facebook or any other app, but just a regular ringtone when someone is calling you with dial button. I went into calls history to check that call and I didn't see that call there at all! I mean, someone tried to call me, I didn't pick up, but it should be in calls history as a missing call, but it wasn't there. How is this possible? If I were alone, I would think that maybe I'm going crazy and it was a hallucination, but I'm at work and my coworker who is sitting next to me also heard that call, so it definitely wasn't hallucination or my imagination. Is it possible at all, what I just experienced?

anon(10300249)

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site
Xiaomi Redmi S2
Android version 9 PKQ1.181203.001
Magticom carrier.

Another weird thing happened just now:

I completely lost signal. Couldn't call to anyone, but now it got fixed itself and signal came back. I'm in city and I shouldn't lose the signal.

I just rebooted my phone and also disabled data Internet, now I'm trying to enable it, but I still don't have Internet. This all looks like an attack.

anon(10300249)

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site
I figured out what happened. Seems like it's been an attack on us, Magti carrier users. I went on their Facebook page and company posted that since this morning users are getting international calls (mostly from Ethiopia) and it's a scam and not call them back or it will drain our balance (money). They already blocked them, but advised us to not call anyone back if these are unknown numbers from the different countries.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I figured out what happened. Seems like it's been an attack on us, Magti carrier users. I went on their Facebook page and company posted that since this morning users are getting international calls (mostly from Ethiopia) and it's a scam and not call them back or it will drain our balance (money). They already blocked them, but advised us to not call anyone back if these are unknown numbers from the different countries.

I'm so glad you figured it out! Phew!

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm so glad I have the call screening feature on my pixel, with modern tech there's always someone trying to rip you off in every way imaginable... and some ways we can't imagine yet :-O

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I got a weird call today from a mobile number in the UK. It was a robot telling me my Social Security (National Insurance) number had been compromised and I was to press 1 to speak to someone before they took legal action against me. My friend was sitting next to me at the time.

I knew that HMRC (Inland revenue) would never call like that but I could see how someone else would panic and press 1. I can only imagine they would have been connected to some international number to rack up loads of charges.

I hung up.

You have to be so careful in this day and age with scam callers.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I got a weird call today from a mobile number in the UK. It was a robot telling me my Social Security (National Insurance) number had been compromised and I was to press 1 to speak to someone before they took legal action against me. My friend was sitting next to me at the time.

I knew that HMRC (Inland revenue) would never call like that but I could see how someone else would panic and press 1. I can only imagine they would have been connected to some international number to rack up loads of charges.

I hung up.

You have to be so careful in this day and age with scam callers.
It funny how they tell you it's been compromised and then try to tell you that you are liable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech