Play Music is Gone, YouTube Music failing me.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. On the billing end Google transitioned me from Play Music to YT music at the same rate. But with yours they did not do that. Id get on the horn with google and see if they can fix that.

AdabelBerdina

Nov 12, 2020
Visit site
I've never used Youtube Music and don't know if it will be like Google Play or not? And now on Youtube there are a lot of ads and I don't like listening to music on it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've never used Youtube Music and don't know if it will be like Google Play or not? And now on Youtube there are a lot of ads and I don't like listening to music on it.

Luckily Google is apparently putting some GPM features into YTM so as to make the transition a bit easier. Also, if you pay for the app, YTM won't play apps for you! I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'll pay for the Premium version, or whatever it is called. :)

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. On the billing end Google transitioned me from Play Music to YT music at the same rate. But with yours they did not do that. Id get on the horn with google and see if they can fix that.

I think it's due to YouTube Red being replaced by YouTube Premium. I signed up for Google Play music as a trial back in 2014/2015 and it included YouTube Red. The ad free YouTube experience is what kept me with Play Music instead of switching to Spotify in the past.

YouTube Premium costs more than YouTube Red did. So I paid 9.99/month to have Play Music and it included YouTube Red at no cost. Now if I sign up for YouTube Music, which is the same price, I won't get the ad free YouTube experience. I instead need to pay more for YouTube Premium(it's only a $2 or $3 more) but still annoying.

I expected because I had YouTube Music installed and my content moved over, both apps worked as expected, that I'd have a smooth transition from one app to the other.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Luckily Google is apparently putting some GPM features into YTM so as to make the transition a bit easier. Also, if you pay for the app, YTM won't play apps for you! I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'll pay for the Premium version, or whatever it is called. :)

The thing I want the most is to bring back Play Counts.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Not that it is something I do often, but I was using my Raspberry Pi 3 yesterday and decided to listen to some music. Youtube Music was not a good experience. Every track had to buffer for several seconds before it would start playing, and there was apparently no pre-fetching happening, because it paused after every track before the next would buffer enough to start playing. Google Play Music on the other hand, had no such issue. I was listening to The Wall, and the pauses between tracks made it useless. Switched to Play Music and had no issues all evening.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if that's specific to the Pi. I haven't noticed any issue with gapless playback on YT Music on my Chromebook or Android devices.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The Pi 3 is a bit weak-kneed, and only has 1GB of RAM. Every generation has been faster than the previous one, and I guess the 4 has at least a 4GB option. I don't think it's the processing power needed to play the music, but Chrome I think doesn't like the limited processing power and RAM. I've been thinking of installing na Android build on it, but after reading on it, I think by the time you install Google Play services, it isn't very fast. I still think it would probably run the Android apps better than the web apps run in Chrome.

Memphisto1

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
YouTube music is a mess. Trying to play your own uploaded music is a chore, has less options and is hidden round the back of the YTM app almost like Google only put it there because they had to include it. I've since found iBroadcast which at least gives some resemblance of a decent music app that GPM used to be. I wont be using it at all and given the history of 'sunsetting' apps I knew it wouldn't last forever but at least expected an app that would be half decent to replace it.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
My latest issue is that Google thinks I want to watch music videos instead of listen to albums, so they automatically replace audio tracks with videos in my play lists. Which is no big deal on some and a nightmare for others. Oh well, Play Music was great while it lasted.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My latest issue is that Google thinks I want to watch music videos instead of listen to albums, so they automatically replace audio tracks with videos in my play lists. Which is no big deal on some and a nightmare for others. Oh well, Play Music was great while it lasted.

Did you already try turning on the "Don't play music videos" toggle in the YT Music app's settings?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
In all honesty, my next phone is going to be at least double capacity, and I am going to play my music locally. I tried the YT app and I think it's rather horrible.

Overall, a downgrade.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
In all honesty, my next phone is going to be at least double capacity, and I am going to play my music locally. I tried the YT app and I think it's rather horrible.

Overall, a downgrade.

I actually still prefer the native YouTube app - not the YouTube Music App. I now switch between both.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Aww, how nice, here's a little reminder of happier times.
80f9ac7223b518c6dc9a92cd5c3d45c3.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie