Google Photos unlimited backups going away :(

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey dude, check this out. Unless I'm mistaken this is from Google blog directly...

Trust me, I was very very nervous when I first read this myself. I'm guessing that's what Google is counting on. For users to be very worried / nervous about it....

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/11/...get-unlimited-high-quality-photo-uploads/amp/
8dacf1a40f1ad2938cc43cdf37e7206d.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I saw that as well. But this means the 6 and onward won't be exempt, and I was thinking of waiting until next year to upgrade (since I still want the Original Quality unlimited backups on my 3 XL). I think I'll just bite the bullet and get a Google One sub (actually, my wife already has one for business, so could share that with family).

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ha I hear you! I mean for me I'm biting the bullet I upgraded to the Pixel 5 and it should ship to me the first weekend December which I'm so excited for!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
ha I hear you! I mean for me I'm biting the bullet I upgraded to the Pixel 5 and it should ship to me the first weekend December which I'm so excited for!

I think you'll love it. I just upgraded my wife from her 2 XL, and it's quite nice! Photos looks great, possibly even better than my 3 XL.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I think you'll love it. I just upgraded my wife from her 2 XL, and it's quite nice! Photos looks great, possibly even better than my 3 XL.
haha yeah thanks dude! That's exactly what I need to hear lol I've heard great things about the camera... slightly upgraded versus my 3XL. Battery life is superb ; actually everything is superb about the phone. Can't wait to get it soon!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It actually doesn't matter much to me, because I'm most interested in unlimited Original Quality backups, which already went away starting with the Pixel 4. So I still plan on holding onto my Pixel 3 XL deep into next year (Original Quality backups end in Jan 2022), and then will likely upgrade to the Pixel 6 (and upgrade to Google One as well at the same time).

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
No I will not be using Google Photos, just migrated all my photos off that service.
In fact I dont really use any of googles services anymore. Drive, photos, office apps, etc...

I've migrated over to Microsoft services and really like them. Their office apps are by far the best out there and their cloud services are easier to use IMO.
I pay $1.99/month for 125GB of storage right now and if I need more I'll upgrade when it happens.
Even though I still use Gmail (website), Microsoft Outlook puts it to shame with its feature set.
The outlook app on my phone is awesome and far superior to Gmail.

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
Read here: https://blog.google/products/photos/storage-changes/

A bummer, but I always wondered when this was going to go away. I imagine part of it is a push to get people to subscribe to Google One plans as well.

This totally sucks. Keeping my Pixel 3 until Jan 2022 to max out the original backup perk.

Afterwards, will likely switch to another brand unless Google Photos offers at least high quality unlimited storage to future Pixels. Seems very unlikely though, based on an article published by The Verge. They mentioned confirming with Google that future Pixel phones won't even have high quality unlimited backups.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This totally sucks. Keeping my Pixel 3 until Jan 2022 to max out the original backup perk.

Afterwards, will likely switch to another brand unless Google Photos offers at least high quality unlimited storage to future Pixels. Seems very unlikely though, based on an article published by The Verge. They mentioned confirming with Google that future Pixel phones won't even have high quality unlimited backups.

I'll still stick with Pixels. They'll still have the best camera software, as well as the best update policy, and those are still enough for me.

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
I'll still stick with Pixels. They'll still have the best camera software, as well as the best update policy, and those are still enough for me.

I hear you. Thus far the best software and camera experience I have had in a phone is the Pixel 3.

Have been jumping brands ever since smartphones were a thing. Wanted to try different experiences and all that. Started with HTC, Sony, LG, Xiaomi, then finally Google.

Would definitely have stuck with Google if they kept the Google Photos backup. Very big deal for me.

Unless the Pixel 6 or 7 is compelling enough, likely to try something new and fresh. Haha

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If I absolutely had to switch, I'd probably consider OnePlus, but I still have lingering misgivings about its relationship with Oppo, and from what I've read, their phones have become pretty darned heavy!

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
You have a SD card.

Why not use it.
Back your pictures up on it.

And back them up to your computer.

I am not paying google or anybody else to store pictures.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
SD cards are unreliable -- it's not a good idea to use SD cards as the sole storage for important data. I prefer cloud storage, since it's readily available wherever I am.

snoonw

Jan 25, 2018
Visit site
so long as u upload the pics thru pixel 1-5 its stilll gonna be free for life so dont trade in ur phone when its old

u can still use p3 to upload pics taken from other phone for free unlimited high quality u just need the extra transfer step

u can use p6 to transfer pics to p3 then upload to google photos. that will always be free

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000