Tried to order from the Google store for the first time...fail! Was surprised what a hassle it was.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I tried to order a couple of items from the Google store on my chromebook...utter fail :( I kept getting multiple error messages saying try again later. And to add insult to injury it would only let me make the purchase by using Google Pay, which gave me no option but to save all my personal info, including credit card info, to Google Pay.

I've never used Google Pay and never will because I DON'T want all that info collected and stored by Google. After the website issues and failed purchases, I still had to take the time to burrow through all the bs Google account settings to remove the info they forcibly saved.

What a waste of time :mad: All because Google is forcing our private data out of us :( :mad: I see why there's a trend to run Google free phones. I still need to turn off the Timeline tracking that tracks every move I make... and which I never turned on or agreed to :mad:

I'm going to try and use our windows desktop tommorow, and see if I can sign into the Google store as a guest to make my purchases just like every other site I use. If I can't, this will be the first and last time I ever try and purchase anything from the Google store. And I'm going to take the ridiculous extra time to go through Google's purposely convoluted account info and shut everything off but the necessities to keep the core features working :mad:

These default bs settings really are crossing the line...

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I tried to order a couple of items from the Google store on my chromebook...utter fail :(

Tried that several times over the years and always had problems when using a Chromebook. Zero problems using a computer or Android device.

Who knows.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I've ever had any issues with ordering from the Google Store on a Chromebook, but I could be misremembering. If you have an adblocker like uBlock Origin, try disabling it temporarily. Or see if it works in Incognito Mode.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I don't think I've ever had any issues with ordering from the Google Store on a Chromebook, but I could be misremembering. If you have an adblocker like uBlock Origin, try disabling it temporarily. Or see if it works in Incognito Mode.

I am running an adblocker, thanks B never thought about that ;) But I had the same issues on our windows pc and my phone as well. Part of the trouble I believe was that they were showing half price pixel stands and pixel cases that were no longer half price. But it's Google fer cryin' out loud.. can't they keep their website properly updated? And I really think they should ask if you want your credit card saved to G-Pay, not do it automatically, and make you look through tons of settings to undo it if you don't use Google Pay, and don't want your card saved to it.

Overall my experience with the Google Store backed up what I've read here over the years about Google's lousy support and customer service. I love my pixels.... but I can't say I have much respect for Google. It's a lot more than Apple and a little more than Samsung.... but still not very much :-\

Oh well a freight train's gonna be a freight train I guess :(

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Me either

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Since Google won't sell to Mexico I don't even try. My last Pixel was a Pixel 3 and my sister brought it to me. They are thoughtful enough to dump discontinued and outdated items in Sam's Club in Mexico.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Since Google won't sell to Mexico I don't even try. My last Pixel was a Pixel 3 and my sister brought it to me. They are thoughtful enough to dump discontinued and outdated items in Sam's Club in Mexico.

If I understand Google's warranty rules correctly, that means if you buy a Google product in the U.S. that they don't sell in Mexico, and take it back across the border with you, they won't honor the warranty. Not the most consumer friendly approach with either the selling or the warranty :-\

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Bought a bunch of Google home devices in December, some directly from Google on my Chromebook. I'd check adblocker settings, etc.

As far as Google wanting all our information you made me laugh, politely. Google built their business on this and has been transparent since day one. I know you know this and are just frustrated.

I finally left Apple completely and stopped frantically going back and forth. While no tech company is perfect, I enjoy what Google provides, where they're going and, for now, am enjoying the ride.

Hope you get it figured out.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Bought a bunch of Google home devices in December, some directly from Google on my Chromebook. I'd check adblocker settings, etc.

As far as Google wanting all our information you made me laugh, politely. Google built their business on this and has been transparent since day one. I know you know this and are just frustrated.

I finally left Apple completely and stopped frantically going back and forth. While no tech company is perfect, I enjoy what Google provides, where they're going and, for now, am enjoying the ride.

Hope you get it figured out.

I'll always own a pixel ;) Pure Android straight from the maker, with the best Android support available, is impossible to beat imo, and a pleasure to use :D And you're right, overall I'm fine with Google's data practices... it's the price we pay for an awesome os included on our phones with all the features we're spoiled by. I just didn't realize Google was going to lock me into Google Pay when trying to purchase something from the Google store. I usually do guest checkouts because I don't want to set up accounts, and get bombarded with advertising, from sites I may only use once. For the same reason I don't want sites saving my credit card info for a one time use.

Google Pay and the Google store are the same way, I've never used either, and only planned on using the store because they had items in stock that the other places I normally use, that price match Google, were out of. I never planned on making the Google store a regular stop, because I prefer using other places I've had excellent service from. But Google tried to strongarm my credit card info with no other option available..... unacceptable to me. Their site was also showing prices that were no longer valid... which was causing my issues with the site. I've never had that issue with any other site.

Google needs to do better on the storefront. I give them an A+ on the Pixel/Android side of things, C+ on the data side, and a solid D on the sales side. From what I've read their support is pretty questionable as well, although I've personally never needed it ;)

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I'll always own a pixel ;) Pure Android straight from the maker, with the best Android support available, is impossible to beat imo, and a pleasure to use :D And you're right, overall I'm fine with Google's data practices... it's the price we pay for an awesome os included on our phones with all the features we're spoiled by. I just didn't realize Google was going to lock me into Google Pay when trying to purchase something from the Google store. I usually do guest checkouts because I don't want to set up accounts, and get bombarded with advertising, from sites I may only use once. For the same reason I don't want sites saving my credit card info for a one time use.

Google Pay and the Google store are the same way, I've never used either, and only planned on using the store because they had items in stock that the other places I normally use, that price match Google, were out of. I never planned on making the Google store a regular stop, because I prefer using other places I've had excellent service from. But Google tried to strongarm my credit card info with no other option available..... unacceptable to me. Their site was also showing prices that were no longer valid... which was causing my issues with the site. I've never had that issue with any other site.

Google needs to do better on the storefront. I give them an A+ on the Pixel/Android side of things, C+ on the data side, and a solid D on the sales side. From what I've read their support is pretty questionable as well, although I've personally never needed it ;)
I get it and it's the same with all these huge corporations, they all try to lock you into their ecosystem in every way possible. In the end, like you said, we have to choose our poison.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I tried to order a couple of items from the Google store on my chromebook...utter fail :( I kept getting multiple error messages saying try again later. And to add insult to injury it would only let me make the purchase by using Google Pay, which gave me no option but to save all my personal info, including credit card info, to Google Pay.

I've never used Google Pay and never will because I DON'T want all that info collected and stored by Google. After the website issues and failed purchases, I still had to take the time to burrow through all the bs Google account settings to remove the info they forcibly saved.

What a waste of time :mad: All because Google is forcing our private data out of us :( :mad: I see why there's a trend to run Google free phones. I still need to turn off the Timeline tracking that tracks every move I make... and which I never turned on or agreed to :mad:

I'm going to try and use our windows desktop tommorow, and see if I can sign into the Google store as a guest to make my purchases just like every other site I use. If I can't, this will be the first and last time I ever try and purchase anything from the Google store. And I'm going to take the ridiculous extra time to go through Google's purposely convoluted account info and shut everything off but the necessities to keep the core features working :mad:

These default bs settings really are crossing the line...

I just went in for a test purchase and I believe it’s not quite as bad as it seems. I’ve noticed the same with Apple Pay if that matters. In both situations, Apple or Google are simply using their own merchant processing system backbone as retailer just like other retailers use various institutions. When PayPal and Square challenged some of the four card system issuers cost structure years ago, it’s what allowed Apple, Google and others to save money as well.

In these situations, for personal data and your card information, Apple or Google as processor, for example, can’t share the data with the companies’ regular divisions as we know them. Each company is bound to same privacy and data protection guidelines as other merchant processors. It’s the same regulations that protect your checking and savings accounts in every regulated institution.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I just went in for a test purchase and I believe it’s not quite as bad as it seems. I’ve noticed the same with Apple Pay if that matters. In both situations, Apple or Google are simply using their own merchant processing system backbone as retailer just like other retailers use various institutions. When PayPal and Square challenged some of the four card system issuers cost structure years ago, it’s what allowed Apple, Google and others to save money as well.

In these situations, for personal data and your card information, Apple or Google as processor, for example, can’t share the data with the companies’ regular divisions as we know them. Each company is bound to same privacy and data protection guidelines as other merchant processors. It’s the same regulations that protect your checking and savings accounts in every regulated institution.

Thanks for sharing.... that's very good information for me and others who read this to know. Definitely gives a different perspective on it ;)