I wish Samsung had the COURAGE to stop following Apple's BS (call it what it really is).

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
How much are really saving by NOT INCLUDING the accessories. I get ELIMINATING the 3.5mm headphone jack because of the BILLIONS in sales with the AirPods series but to say that Apple is doing this for environmental reasons, hence the BS in the title. I'm surprised they include all those USELESS manuals and the SIM ejector tool.

If you haven't read, Samsung will also not be including accessories on the S21.

Not that I will be buying it's annoying AF how Samsung continues to copy Apple.

I just got my girl's sister the LG Velvet. I was surprised the 3.5mm headphone jack is still there. So I gave her all the AKG EarBuds that I never used. LOL

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You just kinda proved their point there: you just gave her the included accessories that most people don't use (and shouldn't, those AKG wired buds sound pretty crappy).

I'm happy if they do what they did for those (god awful) headphones with the latest phones, though... don't include it, BUT give the option for users to request one for free. As for chargers, I have a mountain of them, I don't mind them not including it, but what if this is your first phone? Again, I'm good with them not including it but giving you the option to get one for free. If they do that, sure, give me just the phone, and let me pick what extras I want instead of just tossing them away inside the box forever.

blue claire

Sep 17, 2019
Visit site
Apple is not the only one ever thinking of removing accessories but is the first one to do so. Others just don't have the guts to take the step. They are afraid to **** their customers off and lose their market share. But Apple will just do what it sees necessary.

More and more phone makers will follow suit after Apple's move, including Samsung, even if they got teased at. At the end of the day, money is above all.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
All these manufacturers going this way, trying save money every which way , or get you buy their accessories.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I've got mixed feelings about this to be honest. On one hand it's stupid not to get a charger with such an expensive device, on the other we produce insane amounts of unnecessary electronic waste including chargers and cords with everything.

Personally haven't bought a charger in over 5 years, I have dozens of them. My Note 9 and Note 20 Ultra chargers haven't even been removed from their packaging. I could fill a trash can with old cables and wall plugs. So to me its almost a good thing I won't have more electronic waste taking up space in my home.

Yet I still feel they should give a charger. Maybe the solution is to make it optional for free at time of purchase.

When I worked at Verizon we had customers that would upgrade and leave the box and accessories at our store, they didn't want them.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've got mixed feelings about this to be honest. On one hand it's stupid not to get a charger with such an expensive device, on the other we produce insane amounts of unnecessary electronic waste including chargers and cords with everything.

Personally haven't bought a charger in over 5 years, I have dozens of them. My Note 9 and Note 20 Ultra chargers haven't even been removed from their packaging. I could fill a trash can with old cables and wall plugs. So to me its almost a good thing I won't have more electronic waste taking up space in my home.

Yet I still feel they should give a charger. Maybe the solution is to make it optional for free at time of purchase.

When I worked at Verizon we had customers that would upgrade and leave the box and accessories at our store, they didn't want them.
I agree with option for free

blackhawksfan75

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I personally think the AKG (remember Blackberry days) are one of the better sets of ear buds. Prior to that, yes Samsung's earphones were horrendous.

But I do agree that not including certain accessories is garbage. Earbuds, I can understand as most people are using wireless nowadays. The charger is a different story. Why advertise faster charging if you are not going to include the charger? Huawei did with their Pro series.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I think it's dumb since they don't have the pull apple has, don't have to programs apple has and the apps just aren't as good on android.

Following apple is dumb, you need something to bring people in and the galaxy isn't strong enough at that price.

But what's really dumb is going from 12gb of ram in the s20 to 8 in the s21, clearly they're trying to save money (ala note 20) and make it somewhat mainstream.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
@delta7 I've watched several video reviews and comparisons, plus what I've managed to glean from being here at AC that some developers go out of there way to make apps better for Apple. The main reason that seems to pop-up again and again is Apple's uniformity. They put out a few devices that all operate the same, on the same Apple iOS, with relatively uniform hardware. While Android, as side from the Pixel line, is hosted on hundreds of different devices with a varying spectrum of hardware and Android versions making it more difficult to tweak different things or even provide the same features across the board. These companies want your patronage/business so they put out something that just works. If your device is 1G of RAM or 12G or if you have FPR or face unlock. So yeah some big names like Facebook, Instagram and Snap Chat have a few more bells and whistles on iOS. The only way I see any improvement in app quality is if a company would do the same thing Apple did. Put out its own OS on its own device. I've heard Samsung might be big enough to do something like that.

As for not including chargers and earbuds/headphones with devices. I think I'd rather be told something closer to the truth if they backed it up with savings. It probably does have some impact but it also probably isn't as measurable as they make it sound. Millions of these devices are still being produced just because we don't get one in our box doesn't diminish the fact that they are still being made. What it really comes down to is marketing and the ignorance of the average consumers. While many of us here feel we can see through the story these companies are really playing to the hearts and minds of the GP. Who are influenced by appearances and trends more often than fact. It feels like they are trying to get people to ask "Do you want to support a company that is making things worse or one that is attempting to make them better?" It's the same marketing as products that claim to be 40% recycled and ones that say they can be recycled. Of course this comes at a premium as well because we all know it isn't cheep to be environmentally friendly. So the real test will be the price point. If they stop including accessories, they cut back on the stuff in the phone, will they also cut back on the cost? They didn't with the Note 20.

Android has long followed Apple's lead in my opinion. Apple started it and Google followed suit. Apple said that glass was premium Samsung followed, but really it goes both ways. Motorola was the first front facing camera, then everyone had to have a front camera.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I know this is irrelevant but I detest Apple from what they were in 1983. They made it clear they would control their hardware, their software, and their users. I don't think they've changed but I don't even care. I don't detest Samsung but I eliminated them as an option when they were the Kings of Bloat. I understand they've changed but I don't really care. I'm a customer, I don't have to care.

I bought a Huawei P40 pro and I'm managing but the hassles caused by our government irritate me. But, that's why the government's there and it will get worse very soon.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Honestly - I don't care if a charger or headphones are included. I think the last time I used included headphones from a device were in the pre-Android days. I have Anker PowerPort chargers for the tables where I might need to charge, and plenty of cables to support charging there. And in a pinch - my MBP charger will also charge my phone or tablet. I packed my Tab S3 for sale and found the charger brick was still in the box, 3 years later.

Shoot - I have enough USB-C cables at this point (on my 3rd phone and 2nd tablet that use them) that I almost don't care if one of those is included.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I still would like to see a charger included in the box with a cable. I have plenty of cables and chargers that will work with the phone(s) I have.
The headphones that come in the box, along with that paperwork I never used so doesn't bother me on that.
But now they see they can sell chargers as an accessory it will be this way from now on. Get use to it, to be the norm.

echo_808

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The thing with the charger... everyone has a buttload of those. Not really. They have bunch of the old chargers (USB-A) and not the new one (USB-C) which only started coming with the 20 line.

Now the 21 line does even have any.

BarbaraET

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Yes I want the charger in the box. John and I use the same phone. It is the only phone in our house. We just bought the Pixel 5 to replace the OG Pixel. We will probably give away the OG, and the charger will go with it. We do not buy cords/chargers we do not need. We are using the new charger as the four years on the previous Pixel put quite a bit of use on it and it needs to retire too.
"rant"
For those with piles of chargers, give them away or sell them when you sell/give away the phone they came with.
"close rant"

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I see what you are saying. A lot of the stuff manufacturers include in the box seems to be silly if they're already talking about trying to protect the environment. I too find it disappointing that other manufacturers will copy Apple. But when Apple is one of the top dogs, I guess that's what happens in a cut-throat market like smartphones.

On another note: yay for the LG Velvet! My husband has it and loves it!

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Samsung makes me sick... almost as sick as Apple. I just can't believe people are feeding these greedy beasts and making the problem continually worse :( If you buy these products you have no right to complain since you're part of the problem :-\

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Samsung makes me sick... almost as sick as Apple. I just can't believe people are feeding these greedy beasts and making the problem continually worse :( If you buy these products you have no right to complain since you're part of the problem :-\
I never get sick about what an OEM does. The way I deal with OEMs is to not buy their product when I disagree their direction. I've done that with Motorola, LG and Google. Samsung may be next but not yet.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I never get sick about what an OEM does. The way I deal with OEMs is to not buy their product when I disagree their direction. I've done that with Motorola, LG and Google. Samsung may be next but not yet.

I continue to steer clear of LG due to their camera performance - but I'd happily go back if I see a better contender this year. Here's hoping!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek