08-12-2021 12:27 AM
109 1234 ...
tools
    I have a disable option, not uninstall is this app safe to disable?
    If you have a option to disable then you should be fine but it's a important app
    03-22-2021 08:24 PM
    Not sure, but I went to the play store under installed apps, and uninstalled it. Which just uninstalled the last update
    pdub73 likes this.
    03-22-2021 08:25 PM
    I disabled mine to see what happens , I don't have this issue with my Note20U , but I've seen when that app updates you can't go into other apps until it's done .

Edit: gmail crashed with it disabled
    03-22-2021 08:29 PM
    FYI.. because the Android System WebView is so pervasive in Android it may cause crashes in many apps, potentially 100's of apps installed. Recent update cashing for some users crashes in apps that use WebView. The update is 89.0.4389.90 from March 12 that is causing the issue.
    03-22-2021 08:40 PM
    I am experiencing this problem, is there a solution?
    03-22-2021 08:52 PM
    Read the rating reviews in Play store for WebView. I just decided to go to settings and uninstall the updates. That's what I did to stop crashes. I don't know for how long this is going to last but I hope it will work for a bit.

What puzzels me why this got installed in the first place. Google is probably pushing the updates ... Or another app I was updating has triggered update on this. Not sure. My google store updates are OFF. Still got this junk update pushed on me.

Apparently people saying also causes issues with Chrome but I don't use Chrome other than if some apps require it. I would use Firefox or Edge or something else for better security and privacy protection.

This is ridiculous update from Google. Bricks people's phones. Just read the 100' zero star reviews.
    03-22-2021 08:59 PM
    Not sure, but I went to the play store under installed apps, and uninstalled it. Which just uninstalled the last update
    Yea, I searched the play store for it and uninstalled the latest update and everything is working now... Thanks!
    03-22-2021 09:04 PM
    Ok, not an expert here, but having the same problem on my old S6. How do I uninstall the "Android system webviewer". I find it on the phone (tho says disabled), I can search/find it on play store, but don't see an option to uninstall. What am I doing wrong (besides still using an S6)?
    Try enabling it on your device and see if the option to uninstall comes back in the Play Store.
    03-22-2021 09:06 PM
    [Merged threads on Andriod webview causing issues and going make this a sticky]
    03-22-2021 09:27 PM
    oh thank you web view worked. ive been deleting and reinstalling the apps that kept crashing ughh
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-22-2021 09:36 PM
    I had everything working great, brand new phone, install etc, didnt install anything new. Then suddenly today it seems like every other app will crash without fail (the same ones).

I dont even know where to start to trouble shoot this one.

Anyone ran into this?

Thanks in advance
    03-22-2021 09:46 PM
    03-22-2021 09:51 PM
    This is strange all of sudden this is giving issues on multiple devices, your welcome!

Yep. I was force closing clear data clearing cache in google app all day until I saw the articles about webview

https://www.engadget.com/android-gma...234125352.html
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-22-2021 09:51 PM
    Yep. I was force closing clear data clearing cache in google app all day until I saw the articles about webview
    Yeah, big bug (
    I'm one of the lucky ones not having a issue

I had everything working great, brand new phone, install etc, didnt install anything new. Then suddenly today it seems like every other app will crash without fail (the same ones).

I dont even know where to start to trouble shoot this one.

Anyone ran into this?

Thanks in advance
    I merged you here to this thread , to make it all in one place with this issue.

FYI.. because the Android System WebView is so pervasive in Android it may cause crashes in many apps, potentially 100's of apps installed. Recent update cashing for some users crashes in apps that use WebView. The update is 89.0.4389.90 from March 12 that is causing the issue.
    Welcome to AC!

Thank you for posting , but I merged everyone here in this thread for that issue.
    03-22-2021 09:53 PM
    I have a Pixel 3 XL running Apex Launcher and a number of mundane apps (Words with Friends, Reddit is Fun, Amazon Shopping, etc). Tonight I started having apps crash on load (starts to load and then disappears after a second or so). I thought it was Words With Friends at first and tried force quitting, then rebooting. No luck. I re-downloaded from the Play store and it worked. BUT, when I quit and then restarted the app it wouldn't load again. What I came to realize is that the only apps that WOULD work seem to be apps that were installed within the PIxel's OS (Chrome, Youtube, Google Photos, Gmail, etc). I have tried rebooting several times, I tried reinstalling Apex Launcher. Nothing seems to work. I tried deleting Apex and just using Pixel launcher, but still no luck. I recently (a few days ago) got a system update from Google, but it worked fine for several days. I'm currently running Android Version 11.
    03-22-2021 10:11 PM
    I have a Pixel 3 XL running Apex Launcher and a number of mundane apps (Words with Friends, Reddit is Fun, Amazon Shopping, etc). Tonight I started having apps crash on load (starts to load and then disappears after a second or so). I thought it was Words With Friends at first and tried force quitting, then rebooting. No luck. I re-downloaded from the Play store and it worked. BUT, when I quit and then restarted the app it wouldn't load again. What I came to realize is that the only apps that WOULD work seem to be apps that were installed within the PIxel's OS (Chrome, Youtube, Google Photos, Gmail, etc). I have tried rebooting several times, I tried reinstalling Apex Launcher. Nothing seems to work. I tried deleting Apex and just using Pixel launcher, but still no luck. I recently (a few days ago) got a system update from Google, but it worked fine for several days. I'm currently running Android Version 11.
    Merged you to this thread , a known issue Uninstall Android webview

Welcome to AC!
    03-22-2021 10:14 PM
    03-22-2021 10:30 PM
    My gmail and chase app gave decided to start crashing. I'll start the app get the screen then it crashes. No report that I know of. Just returns to main screen. I've wiped cache, I've wiped partition as well. I've also removed and reinstalled the the chase app. I could get on then it went bad again. Assistance would be of help.
    03-22-2021 10:38 PM
    My gmail and chase app gave decided to start crashing. I'll start the app get the screen then it crashes. No report that I know of. Just returns to main screen. I've wiped cache, I've wiped partition as well. I've also removed and reinstalled the the chase app. I could get on then it went bad again. Assistance would be of help.
    Merged you to this thread , known issue today, uninstall android webiview
    03-22-2021 10:46 PM
    Merged you to this thread , known issue today, uninstall android webiview
    Roger. Thanks.

That did it. Thanks.

If system webview was last updated on 3/12 why is it just now causing problems?

If this Nova related?
    No it crashed on samsung 1 ui as well.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-22-2021 10:48 PM
    That did it. Thanks.
    Great
    03-22-2021 11:01 PM
    I've reinstalled webview to see if it continues. So far so good but chase worked for a while on reinstall then didn't. We shall see.
    ETA I'm on my tablet now. Let's see if this crashes.
    03-22-2021 11:04 PM
    Google supposed to send a hot fix so let's see
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-22-2021 11:07 PM
    This forum is the best. I was experiencing this today, found out my mother has been dealing with it as well - both Note 20 Ultra users. So far the fix seems to be working. I wasn't able to use most of my apps. I also unchecked enabled auto update on it.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-23-2021 12:32 AM
    Samsung S5 Neo user, been having the issue as well, but I'm not able to uninstall WebView from the app store. How can I go about deactivating it?
    03-23-2021 12:50 AM
109 1234 ...