Gmail app/Google app keep crashing[Andriod webview causing issues]

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Pixel 3 Won't load any downloaded apps

I have a Pixel 3 XL running Apex Launcher and a number of mundane apps (Words with Friends, Reddit is Fun, Amazon Shopping, etc). Tonight I started having apps crash on load (starts to load and then disappears after a second or so). I thought it was Words With Friends at first and tried force quitting, then rebooting. No luck. I re-downloaded from the Play store and it worked. BUT, when I quit and then restarted the app it wouldn't load again. What I came to realize is that the only apps that WOULD work seem to be apps that were installed within the PIxel's OS (Chrome, Youtube, Google Photos, Gmail, etc). I have tried rebooting several times, I tried reinstalling Apex Launcher. Nothing seems to work. I tried deleting Apex and just using Pixel launcher, but still no luck. I recently (a few days ago) got a system update from Google, but it worked fine for several days. I'm currently running Android Version 11.

Merged you to this thread , a known issue Uninstall Android webview

Welcome to AC!

TNRonin

Oct 27, 2017
Visit site
Crashing aps all of a sudden!

My gmail and chase app gave decided to start crashing. I'll start the app get the screen then it crashes. No report that I know of. Just returns to main screen. I've wiped cache, I've wiped partition as well. I've also removed and reinstalled the the chase app. I could get on then it went bad again. Assistance would be of help.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Crashing aps all of a sudden!

My gmail and chase app gave decided to start crashing. I'll start the app get the screen then it crashes. No report that I know of. Just returns to main screen. I've wiped cache, I've wiped partition as well. I've also removed and reinstalled the the chase app. I could get on then it went bad again. Assistance would be of help.

Merged you to this thread , known issue today, uninstall android webiview

TNRonin

Oct 27, 2017
Visit site
I've reinstalled webview to see if it continues. So far so good but chase worked for a while on reinstall then didn't. We shall see.
ETA I'm on my tablet now. Let's see if this crashes.

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
This forum is the best. I was experiencing this today, found out my mother has been dealing with it as well - both Note 20 Ultra users. So far the fix seems to be working. I wasn't able to use most of my apps. I also unchecked enabled auto update on it.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Google supposed to send a hot fix so let's see
The fix is in. I already got it.
f9e891c290bac2c3354b89af45006229.jpg

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Does anybody know how I can get the update to my S5 Neo? I don't have the option of unisintall/install when I bring the app up in my Play Store. Should I just update the OS?

Update: I found a way to enable the update button for S5's on the play store.

Go to: Apps > Chrome > Disable

After that return to the Play Store and Search for "Android Webview Services" > Update

Return back to Apps > Chrome > Enable

This is what worked for me, hopefully people in similar situations with older phones find it of use.

Last edited:

aterriba

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else having an issue with Gmail app crashing? I open it up and it immediately force closes. Same with Google Search app. I have not recently installed anything...

I have tried clearing cache and data.
I'm having the same problem with multiple apps. If anyone knows how to fix it, please tell me.

king

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I suffered the same issue. When I went to the Play Store to uninstall Webview, there were quite a few updates (non dealing with webview or anything related) so I decided to update those apps first. After updating, my Note 20 Ultra stared working without issue -- and without uninstalling Android Wedview. Strange but true.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084