LG smartphones business dead?

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I had the G4. Best feeling phone in the hand I’ve ever used. That was the days before fps and face unlock. It had the power button on the back with the volume buttons above and below it. It unfortunately suffered from the boot loop issue. I then went to the G6. Best camera software ui I’ve ever used. The manual controls were awesome. Battery life was terrible on it though. I was tempted to get the V40 before I got the pixel 4xl. But I kind of lost trust in LG after the G4. The G6 was honestly a great phone apart from the battery life but it felt like a cheap version of the S8 and S9. I did like that LG was the last company to still have a headphone jack and an awesome dac in it.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Such a bummer. My favorite phone that I have ever used was the V30. Since 2018.. and I still have it as my backup, read in bed phone while my normal device charges. Lol

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Such a bummer. My favorite phone that I have ever used was the V30. Since 2018.. and I still have it as my backup, read in bed phone while my normal device charges. Lol

I've always loved the V-series. Can't believe that there won't be more of them!

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
My ex-sister-in-law had an LG phone some time ago, and she handed it to me to try to figure out why it kept messing up. This was 2017, and I'd just transitioned to the S8+ at the time, my ex-wife and I usually got the same phones simply because she wanted me to be able to help solve issues, but her sister stuck with her old LG. I took one look and told her there was just no way to fix it, it was an 8GB phone. The memory was clotted, just like the terrible F Tab my ex bought me. She ended up getting a purple S8+ and simply fell in love with it.

My son got a Stylo 4, but he quickly became disenchanted with it and moved to a better phone. He's running a Moto G Power 2020 right now. Moto is making some nice phones at a decent price point, but who knows how they'll end up. They've been a hot potato for years, now.

Feeding off the bottom hurt them badly. And I rarely see them marketing very much. That contributed to the death of BlackBerry, as well.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/20/22240282/lg-smartphone-business-exit-2021-internal-memo

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
My ex-sister-in-law had an LG phone some time ago, and she handed it to me to try to figure out why it kept messing up. This was 2017, and I'd just transitioned to the S8+ at the time, my ex-wife and I usually got the same phones simply because she wanted me to be able to help solve issues, but her sister stuck with her old LG. I took one look and told her there was just no way to fix it, it was an 8GB phone. The memory was clotted, just like the terrible F Tab my ex bought me. She ended up getting a purple S8+ and simply fell in love with it.

My son got a Stylo 4, but he quickly became disenchanted with it and moved to a better phone. He's running a Moto G Power 2020 right now. Moto is making some nice phones at a decent price point, but who knows how they'll end up. They've been a hot potato for years, now.

Feeding off the bottom hurt them badly. And I rarely see them marketing very much. That contributed to the death of BlackBerry, as well.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/20/22240282/lg-smartphone-business-exit-2021-internal-memo

Yep Moto actually makes pretty good phones for the money... especially on sale :) You just have to accept that with that budget price comes some sacrifices, like lack of updates.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for posting that tweet.

LG Pay no longer works for me. Not that I used it alot but w/Samsung Pay getting rid of MST, LG pay was the only other one that used this.

Oh well, Google Pay is accepted in more places than before but the new app sucks.

unless you send money to people you should still be able to use the old app. I am still using the old one. just got to put up with a nag screen to install the new.

was LG pay abandoned or you are just having issues?

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
unless you send money to people you should still be able to use the old app. I am still using the old one. just got to put up with a nag screen to install the new.

was LG pay abandoned or you are just having issues?

I was able to use LG Pay before but looking at the play store I think they just said screw it and didn't bother updating anymore. I can't even open it and have uninstalled reinstalled and force closed, cleared cache data etc etc.

I use Google Pay (new app) but I still have the old app on my phone until they kill it off. The new app is poorly designed.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I was eyeballing the Velvet, myself, because I'm in part of AT&T's lighter 5G coverage, and their 4G isn't all that great as it is around here. My Note 9 battery is definitely losing its pep. I was looking at a couple of the Motos, but I'm leery after my last experience with them, which wasn't the best as far as updates/support. It wasn't bad hardware, either, but Sprint also pulled the plug on WiMax.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
It has officially gone. Very sad because there are loads of members on this forum that loved LG and only used their phones. Death of the headphone jack is complete I guess.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Death of the headphone jack is complete I guess.

Maybe in the mainstream market but not completely dead. One of the reasons I looked at the Asus ROG line is because they keep it as well. Heck, there were many jokes about the first one having two jacks (the cooler attachment had one in addition to the phone body) when it came out. I just looked at the product page for the ROG 5 phone, and it mentions having the jack, powered by a hi-fi ESS DAC. Not sure if it'll be a quad DAC like with LG, but ESS made the V-series DAC's. Maybe they will take the place of LG if they get that line universally compatible? The market could use a new non-cookie cutter competitor, which use to be LG.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12