https://www.androidcentral.com/googl...tedly-canceled

D'oh! Oh well, it sounds like the 4a 5G has become an even better value after the recent GPU boost from the April update ...

EDIT: Whoops! Almost immediately after I posted this, there was an update to that AC article -- rather than being cancelled, it's now going to be a limited release in US and Japan only. I would expect limited supplies as well (which Pixel and Nexus fans are all too accustomed to in the past).
    04-09-2021 12:49 PM
    https://www.androidcentral.com/googl...tedly-canceled

D'oh! Oh well, it sounds like the 4a 5G has become an even better value after the recent GPU boost from the April update ...

EDIT: Whoops! Almost immediately after I posted this, there was an update to that AC article -- rather than being cancelled, it's now going to be a limited release in US and Japan only. I would expect limited supplies as well (which Pixel and Nexus fans are all too accustomed to in the past).
    Hey dude, great posting! Yeah with the new April update, my pixel 5 so far is running fine! And still doing my first battery test with a full charge about 48% after more than a day and a half of normal usage for myself! The performance/fluidity is great!
    Kizzy Catwoman and B. Diddy like this.
    04-09-2021 03:53 PM
    Bet it's a minor update using the same SOC.
    04-09-2021 04:23 PM
    I'm glad it's not *cancelled*, but it's too bad that we won't be able to get our hands on one in Canada, most likely.
    Elky64 likes this.
    04-09-2021 04:40 PM
    I'm glad it's not *cancelled*, but it's too bad that we won't be able to get our hands on one in Canada, most likely.
    Yeah absolutely. I’m glad it’s not canceled but it’ll be almost identical to the pixel 4A 5G, and the pixel 5! There will barely be any differences I’m sure!
    04-09-2021 05:15 PM
    That's the concerning part for me "not being available in Canada". Not because it's a Pixel but for the fact over the past several months there's been quite a few new offerings, from various OEM's, not making their way here. I've lost count now how many times a new release has sparked my interest only to find out there's no official launch in Canada.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-09-2021 08:07 PM
    That's the concerning part for me "not being available in Canada". Not because it's a Pixel but for the fact over the past several months there's been quite a few new offerings, from various OEM's, not making their way here. I've lost count now how many times a new release has sparked my interest only to find out there's no official launch in Canada.
    Yes! It's very disheartening to hear that some models or even releases won't be available in Canada. I remember wanting the Essential Phone but it was only available online or through Bell. But it didn't work with Rogers. I don't like missing out on those unique phones!
    Elky64 likes this.
    04-15-2021 09:11 PM
    Yes! It's very disheartening to hear that some models or even releases won't be available in Canada. I remember wanting the Essential Phone but it was only available online or through Bell. But it didn't work with Rogers. I don't like missing out on those unique phones!
    Ah the Essential Phone remember that one well especially when Andy provided it with an unexpected level of support (2-years OS/3-years monthly security patches). Almost grabbed one myself through Telus (yes they also sold it) when they dropped their price to $460 (originally $1050) but just couldn't convince myself it was an "essential" purchase LOL.

I'm one who usually picks the "odd man out" in terms of device popularity. No regrets in terms of devices themselves yet when it came to the support end we usually got the short end of the stick.

As for device availability in Canada I sense a level of sparsity that seems to me to be ever increasing... If one's into iPhone/Samsung then they are golden I am not. Was contemplating giving the Pixel 6 serious thought (if it comes to fruition) but the revelation the 5a won't be making its way here has me wondering whether that's a sign of things to come for our market. As it stands today cannot pick a single device launched in the past year, available in Canada, that captivates me enough to own... Those that have aren't within easy reach.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-15-2021 11:48 PM
    Ah the Essential Phone remember that one well especially when Andy provided it with an unexpected level of support (2-years OS/3-years monthly security patches). Almost grabbed one myself through Telus (yes they also sold it) when they dropped their price to $460 (originally $1050) but just couldn't convince myself it was an "essential" purchase LOL.

I'm one who usually picks the "odd man out" in terms of device popularity. No regrets in terms of devices themselves yet when it came to the support end we usually got the short end of the stick.

As for device availability in Canada I sense a level of sparsity that seems to me to be ever increasing... If one's into iPhone/Samsung then they are golden I am not. Was contemplating giving the Pixel 6 serious thought (if it comes to fruition) but the revelation the 5a won't be making its way here has me wondering whether that's a sign of things to come for our market. As it stands today cannot pick a single device launched in the past year, available in Canada, that captivates me enough to own... Those that have aren't within easy reach.
    That is a real shame
    Elky64 likes this.
    04-15-2021 11:59 PM
    That is a real shame
    Could be I am just hallucinating due to being cooped up for over a year due to covid yet likely not.
    Kizzy Catwoman likes this.
    04-16-2021 01:46 AM

Essential was a bit of an abberation. I owned one of those as well. It's a shame they didn't survive. The idea of a "clean" Android phone with excellent updates was a very attractive prospect. Unfortunately the Google Pixel phones haven't lived up to that concept either, and are now stuffed with Google bloat.

If you want a phone to be supported a few years down the road, you basically have two options: it either needs to be offered by your carrier, or it needs to be an iPhone. Sadly, carriers are the only ones who seem to have any clout enforcing update commitments with Android oems and even then it's a crap shoot.
    Elky64 likes this.
    04-16-2021 07:56 AM
    or it needs to be an iPhone.
    So all those Apple apps aren't considered bloat?
    04-16-2021 10:25 AM
    Essential was a bit of an abberation. I owned one of those as well. It's a shame they didn't survive. The idea of a "clean" Android phone with excellent updates was a very attractive prospect. Unfortunately the Google Pixel phones haven't lived up to that concept either, and are now stuffed with Google bloat.

If you want a phone to be supported a few years down the road, you basically have two options: it either needs to be offered by your carrier, or it needs to be an iPhone. Sadly, carriers are the only ones who seem to have any clout enforcing update commitments with Android oems and even then it's a crap shoot.
    Sorta wish we had of sprang for an Essential Phone but it's woes I was hearing about kept holding me off. Yeah gotta agree Google's Pixel haven't lived up to expectations for me either, IMHO one of their biggest problems is doing "what Google wants" rather than listening to consumer wants.

In or around 2015 I envisioned where we'd be in regards to support and gotta say it hasn't gone according to "my" plan LOL. Seems these days a "tax" is associated with it, in essence a well supported device is an expensive one (iPhone/Samsung). Rumor had it one of the carrier's here in Canada "forced" TCL/BBMo to pony up on updates for the KEY2/LE after they had decided to throw in the towel. So if true, which I'm sure it is as seen the evidence for myself, yes they have some clout to enforce. I've now lowered my expectations considerably in the support department buying into budget device's where support IS a crap shoot rather than a given as no longer willing to spend the big bucks for that right... I'd be somewhat OK with it if OS upgrades added a premium (after two years that is) but security patches no, they should be an OEM's prerequisite.
    04-16-2021 10:31 AM
    So all those Apple apps aren't considered bloat?
    I would say that Apple apps are even more bloat than Google Apps. Most of them come with extra subscriptions and cost, like Apple fitness and Apple music and Apple TV and Apple Arcade and so on.

Both Google Pixel and Apple iPhone give their users the basic apps to do most things. Apple puts all their apps onto an iPhone and you can disable them. Google puts the basics and gives you the option to install their value added apps if you want them. I prefer Google's approach over Apple's.
    Elky64, J Dubbs and B. Diddy like this.
    04-16-2021 12:21 PM
    Sorta wish we had of sprang for an Essential Phone but it's woes I was hearing about kept holding me off. Yeah gotta agree Google's Pixel haven't lived up to expectations for me either, IMHO one of their biggest problems is doing "what Google wants" rather than listening to consumer wants.

In or around 2015 I envisioned where we'd be in regards to support and gotta say it hasn't gone according to "my" plan LOL. Seems these days a "tax" is associated with it, in essence a well supported device is an expensive one (iPhone/Samsung). Rumor had it one of the carrier's here in Canada "forced" TCL/BBMo to pony up on updates for the KEY2/LE after they had decided to throw in the towel. So if true, which I'm sure it is as seen the evidence for myself, yes they have some clout to enforce. I've now lowered my expectations considerably in the support department buying into budget device's where support IS a crap shoot rather than a given as no longer willing to spend the big bucks for that right... I'd be somewhat OK with it if OS upgrades added a premium (after two years that is) but security patches no, they should be an OEM's prerequisite.
    Speaking of Key2 I heard it just received an April 2021 security patch. Not bad for a 2018 phone still on Oreo.
    Elky64 likes this.
    04-16-2021 07:59 PM
    Speaking of Key2 I heard it just received an April 2021 security patch. Not bad for a 2018 phone still on Oreo.
    Agreed pretty good alright... Kinda makes up for the KEY2 & LE getting stiffed on their one-letter upgrade.
    Deimos10 likes this.
    04-16-2021 10:21 PM

I totally agree with you about going for "less popular" devices; but as you say, that makes things like updates and availability very complicated and almost impossible. I've used LG, Huawei, and Pixel - and now look what has happened with the former two brands! So sad.

I remember my good friend getting the Essential Phone and I was so envious and also excited!

I am very disappointed about the lack of Pixel presence in Canada. I still have my heart set on the 6, and am hoping that it will meet my expectations for an upgrade in the fall.
    Elky64 likes this.
    04-16-2021 10:49 PM
    I totally agree with you about going for "less popular" devices; but as you say, that makes things like updates and availability very complicated and almost impossible. I've used LG, Huawei, and Pixel - and now look what has happened with the former two brands! So sad.

I remember my good friend getting the Essential Phone and I was so envious and also excited!

I am very disappointed about the lack of Pixel presence in Canada. I still have my heart set on the 6, and am hoping that it will meet my expectations for an upgrade in the fall.
    If a device is "cheap" then my expectations of support is far less. My reasoning for dropping down a few rungs as was getting fed up paying the big $ only to be greeted with subpar support, yeah my bad for devices we had chosen. Still own an LG, couple of Huawei's and a Pixel, all in the history books now... I am a collector of memorabilia ya know hahaha.

Yeah the Essential Phone instilled a certain level of excitement in me too but like said its woes kept me at a distance. Did regret not purchasing one when prices plummeted though.

My present Pixel (the one and only) never had that wow factor I thought it would nor did its successors wow me when they flew the coop. In all honesty, don't feel the Pixel line evolved to a point it should have. So definitely don't have my heart set on a Pixel 6 unless Google hits their marks, or should I say "my" marks.
    Kizzy Catwoman and Morty2264 like this.
    04-17-2021 01:03 AM
    If a device is "cheap" then my expectations of support is far less. My reasoning for dropping down a few rungs as was getting fed up paying the big $ only to be greeted with subpar support, yeah my bad for devices we had chosen. Still own an LG, couple of Huawei's and a Pixel, all in the history books now... I am a collector of memorabilia ya know hahaha.

Yeah the Essential Phone instilled a certain level of excitement in me too but like said its woes kept me at a distance. Did regret not purchasing one when prices plummeted though.

My present Pixel (the one and only) never had that wow factor I thought it would nor did its successors wow me when they flew the coop. In all honesty, don't feel the Pixel line evolved to a point it should have. So definitely don't have my heart set on a Pixel 6 unless Google hits their marks, or should I say "my" marks.
    Well there is a new BlackBerry on the way too (supposedly) so there's always that.
    Elky64 likes this.
    04-17-2021 08:58 AM
    Yeah that's the rumours but seems pretty quite... Haven't been following along too much so maybe I've missed something.

If OnwardMobility hits their marks (reasonably priced and camera's aren't BB's of old) just might be tempted. Not really a PKB type of person but did enjoy the BB Android UI/software when owned KEYone/Motion. Used them for over a year and a half which says something for the time considering I was upgrading devices way more often then.
    04-17-2021 01:50 PM

That's a very good point. If a device is less expensive, one can sometimes assume that support or things like hardware and software may be a little lacklustre. And LOL at it hitting "your" marks! I know exactly what you mean.
    Elky64 likes this.
    04-17-2021 10:56 PM